autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee’s 37 Plastic Trim Restorer

Yea. I have to get this!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Just reposting because my post was in the previous page.

UPDATE:

I washed the car yesterday. It was the 5th time I washed it since application. I used the Meguiars Car Wash Plus+ the first 2 times, the Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax the next 2 times and I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss the 5th time yesterday.

It has been 79 days since initial application. It's undergoing the brutal Phoenix heat (We hit 120F last week) and it's still there. This is very impressive already but I'm more impressed that it survived 5 washes and still going strong. Lots of trim blacking/restoring products last as long as you don't wash it. But from the few products I've tried before, they were pretty much gone after the first wash. This product lasted 5 washes!!! It's crazy! And 3 of the washes were used with a strong soap. Of course it's not as black as it was originally but it's still there!

I don't know about you but this says a lot IMO. You guys should buy this product if you're looking for a great trim restorer product!

2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I expected a bit more out of this product. I had issues with the door side trim. I did clean prior with mothers trim cleaner. Seems like it just kept absorbing the product. It was hard to get a even looking finish. After SEVERAL coats it finally looks ok. Guess every trim is different. The rest of trim I used it on looks ok. I had much better results with Griots black shine trim restorer (gel). The Mc Kees just seemed to fussy to me. I HATE TO DRESS TRIM. LOL. And I got tons of it.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Guess I expected a bit more out of this product. I had issues with the door side trim. I did clean prior with mothers trim cleaner. Seems like it just kept absorbing the product. It was hard to get a even looking finish. After SEVERAL coats it finally looks ok. Guess every trim is different. The rest of trim I used it on looks ok. I had much better results with Griots black shine trim restorer (gel). The Mc Kees just seemed to fussy to me. I HATE TO DRESS TRIM. LOL. And I got tons of it.
    So this was not the first time you've coated the trim using some type of restorer/protectant?

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. As we talked Nick, a build up of prior product and not using a stronger cleaner prior to the Mc Kees could have prevented it from performing at it's best. Before winter I plan to use a degreaser and strip the trim more aggressively this time. Then apply it. Thank you for our conversation.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Just reposting because my post was in the previous page.

UPDATE:

I washed the car yesterday. It was the 5th time I washed it since application. I used the Meguiars Car Wash Plus+ the first 2 times, the Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax the next 2 times and I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss the 5th time yesterday.

It has been 79 days since initial application. It's undergoing the brutal Phoenix heat (We hit 120F last week) and it's still there. This is very impressive already but I'm more impressed that it survived 5 washes and still going strong. Lots of trim blacking/restoring products last as long as you don't wash it. But from the few products I've tried before, they were pretty much gone after the first wash. This product lasted 5 washes!!! It's crazy! And 3 of the washes were used with a strong soap. Of course it's not as black as it was originally but it's still there!

I don't know about you but this says a lot IMO. You guys should buy this product if you're looking for a great trim restorer product!

that's impressive. many trim dressings (especially water-based) will be gone by the 2nd/3rd wash...

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE the side door guards finally look really good. Sat morning I will be degreasing the rest of trim to remove old product! 3D YELLOW at 1:10 should do the trick. I do believe this is a issue of old product build up. I will follow up after I degrease and re dress the trim.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee’s 37 Plastic Trim Restorer

UPDATE the side door guards finally look really good. Sat morning I will be degreasing the rest of trim to remove old product! 3D YELLOW at 1:10 should do the trick. I do believe this is a issue of old product build up. I will follow up after I degrease and re dress the trim.
    I dunno about 3D Yellow, but IME the Mothers Trim Cleaner has always done a much better job than using a degreaser to clean & prep plastic trim.

Just yesterday I restored the windshield cowl on a customers vehicle and used the Mothers Trim Cleaner to prep... This is the built up embedded dirt and oxidation that wiped off onto my towel. I wouldn't have seen this kind of gunk come off if I would've used a typical degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    that's impressive. many trim dressings (especially water-based) will be gone by the 2nd/3rd wash...
    I was expecting this be just like any trim dressing product where it will get washed off after a wash or two but boy I was wrong. I was totally impressed on how well it held up after the first wash. I got even more and more impressed after every wash. Up to this day, the trim still looks dressed. I can't believe it.

That's great new pro 4x. Yeah your SUV has a lot of trim lol!

Have you considered using the McKee's 37 Wax Remover For Plastic or IPA?

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:

I washed the car last Sunday. It was the 8th time I washed it since application. I used various car washes but the most recent one was Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax.

It has been 5 1/2 months since initial application.

I was already impressed it survived multiple washes and it's still holing strong! Obviously it's not as dark as the first application but it's still there. I'm used to trim products being washed away after the first wash lol!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast