autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax

Dear Forum Members,

Next up in the group of products Meghan asked me to review was Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax.

About the product
    At $ 29.99 for 16 ounces, Pinnacle's Souveran Liquid Spray Wax is a premium spray wax. It contains both carnauba and synthetic polymers. Pinnacle indicates the spray wax is stout enough to stand up to the environment on it's own (absent another underlying LSP). Astute forum members will note it's not a new product and now competes with a myriad of spray waxes that are present in the market.

Test vehicle
    My 2014 Audi A4 in Midnight Blue. This is a pseudo daily-driver. It is not driven 7 days a week but it also isn't a garage queen either. It currently has 22k miles on it. The car is very well taken care of. Other than a few unavoidable small chips on the front body skirt from stones, I would say the paint is near perfect (no scratches, no swirls), free of any contaminants and maintained one notch shy of obsession :-). Weather 75, sunny, no humidity. Perfect day in NJ.

So today I took the day off to do some personal things and had a solid hour on my hands, and decided that was just enough time to wash the car and write a review on Pinnacle's Souveran Spray wax.

Review
    The car was first washed with Griot's Brilliant car soap, 2 buckets of course etc. As soon as the car was rinsed, I immediately placed in it the garage so that I could take my time drying it and reviewing the product. I always use a drying aid with my cars. More times than not, that is a spray wax but sometimes a detailing spray - to offer extra lubrication and avoid any swirl marks.

I first removed the excess water from the horizontal panels with a drying blade. With the car still slightly wet, I applied a mist of Souveran spray wax. I would say the product's smell reminds me of a medicine my Mom used to give me when I was a child; best described as a sweet & spicy smell at the same time. it is by no means unpleasant but doesn't smell like bubble gum (e.g. McKees 37 Fast Wax) or Griot's Spray Wax (banana).

The product sprays on just like any other - nothing discernibly different. Where you do notice something different is upon product removal. The product spreads a little thicker than say Griot's Spray Wax (one of my favorites). Using a waffle weave towel, I made one pass over the area with no pressure. This absorbed the water and also spread the product. I immediately followed with a very soft yellow MF towel. This acted as the buffing towel and I made two passes with the buffing towel. The paint was left very slick, almost as if it had been hand waxed - but not quite to that level. I did notice one spot on the hood had a few very lite streaks, and I do mean lite - but if I am being equally critical of all products, I have to mention this. I simply applied some more product over the affected area (which was dry this time) and the streaks were removed. This may have been a result the hood having a little more water on it during the initial application and/or this spray wax is happier on dry paint?? Not 100% sure, but I tested it as I would normally use it, as a drying aid on a slightly wet car.

The gloss left behind is a step above most other spray waxes. I would put this spray wax in same class a Blackfire's Midnight Sun Carnauba spray wax and McKee's 37 Fast Wax. So that said, some may ask it is worth the price? In my opinion: If your car washing regimen is a wash every 2-3 weeks, and a person who wants some level of protection but unwilling/unable to spend 3-4 hours in the garage applying other LSP's (e.g. sealant, coating, carnauba paste/liquid) then this product is for you. Assuming your paint is in good condition already, free of oxidation etc. You will get an incredibly vibrant finish with some level of protection in a short period of time with little effort. If however, you are someone (like me) who washes their car 1-2 times per week, combined with healthy applications of LSP's in between, it may be hard to justify the price with other products on the market.

Thanks for reading,
    Scott

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax-img_3693-jpg   Review: Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax-img_3692-jpg   Review: Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax-img_3694-jpg  
    Last edited by ScottH; 04-10-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax

Great review Scott! Thanks for sharing.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

If you've used Fusion Spray Wax, how does it compare to Souveran Spray Wax? Ease of use, looks, etc. TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Scott. One of the best features of Souveran Spray Wax is the smell
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed a great spray wax. I got introduced to it by a sample on one of my orders. Kind of deceiving. You think you are spraying water almost. Sprays on clear with no streaks or smears. But after you are greeted with a stunning finish. I used it both as a drying aid and on a totally clean dry vehicle. Works great both ways. It is a stand out spray wax for sure.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rj45 View Post
    If you've used Fusion Spray Wax, how does it compare to Souveran Spray Wax? Ease of use, looks, etc. TIA
    I'm not the OP, but I think Fuzion Spray Wax is closer to a traditional wax than Souveran. Fuzion seems thicker and creates a haze that you have to go back over and buff off. Souveran is thinner and, IMO, closer to a QD. I can typically spray on and wipe right off without needing to go back over to buff off. Hard to say if the looks are really much different but I've gotten more longevity out of Fuzion. I'm not sure if that's because of the hazing created and/or whether there's a higher concentration of carnauba in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using this product for a while and really like it. I also use it as a quick detailer if I need to hit a spot. Very easy to use/work.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rj45 View Post
    RJ45, I have not used Fuzion Spray wax but as boomdone mentioned below Fuzion is more of a traditional wax that happens to be in a spray format. I believe Mike Phillips review of Fuzion also indicates something similar. Maybe have a look on the forum for Mike's review - he spoke highly of Fuzion if I recall correctly.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Fuzion is a much thicker wax in a sprayable form. I tried Souveran spray wax and was not overly impressed with it. At least not for the price. I much preferred XMT Spray wax which has morphed into Mckee's Fast Wax ( just as good if not better than the XMT version), and Blackfire Wet Diamond Spray Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I think Fuzion Spray Wax is closer to a traditional wax than Souveran. Fuzion seems thicker and creates a haze that you have to go back over and buff off. Souveran is thinner and, IMO, closer to a QD. I can typically spray on and wipe right off without needing to go back over to buff off. Hard to say if the looks are really much different but I've gotten more longevity out of Fuzion. I'm not sure if that's because of the hazing created and/or whether there's a higher concentration of carnauba in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    RJ45, I have not used Fuzion Spray wax but as boomdone mentioned below Fuzion is more of a traditional wax that happens to be in a spray format. I believe Mike Phillips review of Fuzion also indicates something similar. Maybe have a look on the forum for Mike's review - he spoke highly of Fuzion if I recall correctly.

ScottH
    Thanks fellas. I currently use Fusion Spray Wax and am really impressed with its looks. It's not super easy to use, but it's certainly not difficult. Durability seems good, but like many enthusiasts I reapply more often than is really necessary. If Souveran is near QD-easy and looks similar to Fusion, it may be worth a try next time I buy.