autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is everyone's opinion on the Griots Garge products?

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    One of the fun/maddening things about this forum are all the differing opinions. In my case, the first time I used my polisher I went with an AIO because I knew it would be more conservative. Through test spots it was easy to see what it could, and couldn't do, and what effect each pad had. After doing this a couple times I was ready to step up to a 2 or 3 step while being confident in how the polisher worked, and how long it would take me to complete each step. Had I taken 2 days to do a 3 step on my truck the first time, I would have likely stuck to just applying a sealant and never doing a correction. You may find that an AIO does everything you want it to do. You may find that it leaves you wanting more.

That said, there are a ton of good products out there with abrasives that diminish as you work with them, and a DA doesn't have the risks associated that a rotary does.
    You make a good point about the AIO's. People can view the problem set in different ways, but I viewed the situation quite differently.

When I was first exposed to the detailing disease, I went straight to the polishes and a DA. For years I'd been working on different cars with AIO's, waxes and glazes by hand and been very frustrated by the results. Had I simply used a DA and an AIO on the first car I machine polished, I would not have achieved near the results I was after and would most likely have returned the DA and never corrected a car again. Using polishes and a DA achieved dramatic results despite the time require and revealed to me I could get the results I'd always wanted if I simply took the time and used the right tools/products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    One of the fun/maddening things about this forum are all the differing opinions. In my case, the first time I used my polisher I went with an AIO because I knew it would be more conservative. Through test spots it was easy to see what it could, and couldn't do, and what effect each pad had. After doing this a couple times I was ready to step up to a 2 or 3 step while being confident in how the polisher worked, and how long it would take me to complete each step. Had I taken 2 days to do a 3 step on my truck the first time, I would have likely stuck to just applying a sealant and never doing a correction. You may find that an AIO does everything you want it to do. You may find that it leaves you wanting more.

That said, there are a ton of good products out there with abrasives that diminish as you work with them, and a DA doesn't have the risks associated that a rotary does.
    Sometime all one needs is an AIO for a daily driver. Some are strong enough to clean up the paint sufficiently, without removing a ton.

My go to AIO never fails to impress me with it's usefulness.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay is optional now- check out Griot's decontamination mitt. They do a video showing how you can use it with the car still wet, using your clean soap bucket if you 2-bucket wash. I do it that way and love the results. I use the yellow mitt and have no marring issues. The Griot's brand is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456