autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Mckee's 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash | compared to Megs D114

thank you nick and AG for allowing me to test this out, i had planned on doing a side by side with multiple products but i was beat to the punch so i figured id just leave it to a side by side with its main concern megs D114. in all pictures D114 will always be on the left and the Beta now N-914 on the right

first off the smell, its very pleasant, it has a familiar scent that i cant quite put my finger on but reminds me of my childhood, like one of my favorite hard candies or sugary blue drinks. its not overwhelming and very nice to have around while working

for the test i washed the doors with waterless mix and the hood with rinseless mix. the test subject is a 2011 nissan pathfinder whos covered in half PBL painted and half mckees 37 paint coating. for the test i washed the PBL coated panels.

For Rinseless: D114 1:128, Beta 1:256
    For waterless: D114 1:32, Beta 1:128

Here is the passenger side before the wash

Sprayed side by side, D114 lays down much better on the coated surface

MF towels After one wipe

panels after first through 3rd wipes

Hood before the rinseless wash

Side by side, again you can see that the D114 lays down better

Once I cleaned it I sprayed it to show the new beading (you can see soap bubbles in a few drops)

Last I did a sheeting video after it wash all washed up

https://youtu.be/7DeODD5oDLE

in the end id say they both achieved the same result. both cleaned the coated surface very well, the surface sheeted almost the exact same. beading was nearly the same which tells me it didnt alter the coating in any way. the only visual difference that i was able to see and notice was the way D114 lays down on the pain, it lays flat and did not bead like N-914 did but that di not seem to matter with the overall cleaning ability of the product.

*this is are post only for the fact that i could not get the pictures to load and it was driving my crazy so i broke down and went the photobucket route.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Mckee's 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash | compared to Megs D114

Thanks, Cruz, for the side by side comparison and video.

I wonder if the beading hints 'encapsulation' vs D114's sweep action. Just a guess on my part, of course.

I haven't had the chance to wash the vehicles yet, as it's been raining - and expecting to keep raining through out the week. So far it packs a mighty punch @ 1:32 for wheel cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    For Rinseless: D114 1:128, Beta 1:256
    For waterless: D114 1:32, Beta 1:128

Any reason for the 1:128 dilution of D114 vs the 1:256 of the Mckee's product? Michael Stoops from Meguiar's posted this not long after D114 was first introduced: "We should clarify something, however, regarding dilution ratios: recommended dilution ratio is 1 ounce of D114 to two gallons of water, but for very dirty vehicles you can double that and use 1 ounce of D114 per gallon. The instructions on the initial run of labels state a 1 ounce per gallon dilution ratio, but we are adjusting that down for routine use."

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great comparison!

Sprayed side by side, D114 lays down much better on the coated surface

The reason you see less beading with D114 (as you described" lays down much better on the surface") is due to the aggressive dilution ratio you used for D114 (1:32). I'm surprised you're using D114 at this ratio, because from what I recall most people use D114 at 1:128 for waterless wash. 1:32 is much stronger dilution ratio, which means less water and more surfactant is in the mixture, which would make the product lay flat on the surface you applied it to (as demonstrated by your pictures). Taken to an extreme, if you applied straight car soap to paint, it would lay flat on the surface and no water beading would be present; stronger soap mixtures (including waterless washes) essentially blanket the surface and reduce the effects of the surface tension created by the wax/sealant/coating.

If you dilute D114 the same as N-914 (1:128) they will act the same on the surface, meaning there will be some beading as you spray it onto the surface. If you dilute N-914 the same as D114 (1:32), it will act the same as D114 (reducing water beading when you apply to the surface).

I'm really glad you enjoyed the product. Try diluting N-914 at 1:32 to use as a wheel cleaner next time you wash your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the dilution come up before and honestly I can't remember where I got it from, I've been using it at that ratio for who knows how long, I want to say I saw it posted somewhere and I've just kept doing it but I will try them at the same today since I'll be doing some more side by sides but with sealants so I'll do some keep mixing and post those pics up here as well and I'm sure the results will be just as your saying nick

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    For waterless: D114 1:32
    Yep:
    That's way too "strong" of a
    dilution ratio for a D114-WW.

That's getting into D114's
    "panel wipe" territory.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post
    I'm really glad you enjoyed the product. Try diluting N-914 at 1:32 to use as a wheel cleaner next time you wash your car.
    Nick, thanks again. Seriously. Thank you. I was livid when heard of D114's demise. Glad McKee's stepped up to the plate and hit it out the park.

Also, I'm going to try 1:64 and see how it performs as traffic film pretreat.

Post Thanks / Like

Weather you use D114 or N914 as a panel wipe IMO i kine of question if the surface is in fact 100 percent prepped for LSP. The fact that you get sudsy water is an indication of something being left behind. I don't think you get sudsing when you shake Eraser or Menzerna .

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Always keep the shine in your life.