autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Mckee's N-914 Rinseless Wash

So, it`s sort of hard to review a rinseless wash and make it interesting. Basically, this will be pretty short. I`m going assume everyone here knows what a rinseless wash is and pretty much realizes that most of them out there seem to work pretty well.

The blob of silicone on the bottle is to fix a leak. My bottle arrived a leaker and some product was lost. Interestingly, these bottles are different than my old PBMG gallons. The old ones never leaked. Could be just a coincidence. But the old bottles seemed more flexible - and these more rigid? Anyway, product was packed legit from AGO for shipping. Which makes me think something maybe funky with these gallon bottles - as box wasn't thrown around or damaged when it arrived.

So, what is different about this stuff? One main thing - it leaves nothing behind. For me, that is the unique selling point of this stuff.

However, here are some Cliff`s:

1. Smell is sort of unique. Reminds me of strawberry kiwi or something. Very sweet and candy like. Seems a bit stronger than most RWs. Reminds me of a Chemical Guys type scent - but, not in a bad way.

2. Product can be used as a RW, WW, clay lube (duh?), and as a cleaning solution to remove polishing oils (unique for class).

3. Price is quite good ~ $45 a gallon

4. Dilutions are very good ~ 7.5 mls makes 32 oz of WW. Compare that to Pinnacle`s WW - which costs more and requires 1 oz to make the same volume.

5. Color is dark green in undiluted form (think Simple Green) and pale green in RW or WW form (the later below):

So, let`s use it. Mix it up as a RW a little stronger than directed and as a WW as directed:

Bubbles. Yes, bubbles. This products seems to produce a little more bubbles / suds compared to similar products...

Bubble test:

1. ONR 1:16 - bottle shaken 5 times up and down:

No bubbles.

2. Gary Deans Juice (same test):

Some bubbles.

3. N-914 WW dilution (same test)

Many bubbles.

-----

The "bubbles" have zero effect in function of the product. It doesn`t make/leave bubbles on the paint - just in the bucket or sprayer. If anyone was concerned about "bubbles" - it`s a non-issue; just an interesting footnote.

The bubbling and the "doesn`t leave anything behind" makes me wonder if this has some APC component to it. If this were the case, the undiluted product would *likely* be north of pH 7.

So, I grabbed a pH strip to test it - pretty much neutral:

What`s it like? It`s legit. Very good rinseless wash. The undiluted solution itself is very slick. When you use it, it does seem "different" compared to other RW - your hands feel like they were cleaned with soap and rinsed. You actually feel like it leaves nothing behind. But, it still performs like a good `ol RW. Seems to maybe clean better than others.

There is no buffing this RW off. You just have to dry the car that`s it. I used DI water and all was well.

Car was moderately dirty and pressure washed first (I always do this before RW). I used 4 towels and a GDWM to clean; pre-treating each panel with the WW concentration of the solution. This is always my method of doing a RW.

No pics of dirty hoods, the process, or dirty towels - you all know what that looks like.

Interesting point.... Wheels weren`t too dirty. So, I pressured washed them and proceeded to use N-914 (WW dilution via sprayer) and a Wheel Woolies` boars hair wheel brush to clean the wheel faces. I simply just used the WW solution via a sprayer to clean the wheel faces just like you would use a dedicated wheel cleaner.

The wheels are "coated" (or whatever) recently with CP`s Hydrofoam. Surprisingly, N-914 worked really well at this task. I had dried the faces when done with one of those black PBMG wheel towels. It`s cool washing wheels and not having to rinse off the "soap".

Comparatively, I remember trying this a few years ago with ONR and just not liking the process or results. However, N-914 worked really well for this. Will do again between Hydrofoamings. Saved time over having to rinse a conventional wheel cleaner off. Nice. I like it.

Stuff is also legit on glass. No traditional RW polymer smeariness left over to buff off. Would make an excellent stand alone glass cleaner to boot.

17 year old daily driver wheel cleaned with N-914 (black stuff on lips ain`t ever coming off):

*****After, I took some pics - just to take pics of the old girl.

Summary:

1. Is this stuff good? Yes.

2. Would I buy it again? Yes.

3. Does it work as advertised? Yes

4. Does it seem a bit different because it leaves nothing behind? Yes.

5. Unique product on the market at this time? Yes.

I see this product as being great for a lot of things:

1. People who want to do RW / WW on a coated car.

2. People who want a cheaper alternative to Eraser type products to clean polishing oils off paint in preparation for a coating/sealant.

3. People planning to add another layer of wax/sealant/coating directly AFTER doing a RW/WW.

4. People wanting a RW cleaning solution that`s uniquely versatile - including a legit glass cleaner (off label use)

5. People wanting a RW that isn`t as expensive as others - yet still just a good or better.

6. People who like the smell of strawberries.

2. Thanks hawk45 thanked for this post
    Likes hawk45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Mckee's N-914 Rinseless Wash

It`s cool washing wheels and not having to rinse off the "soap".
    I've been using D114 as a wheel cleaner for quite sometime; 1:32 mixture.

Spray. Watch brake dust melts away/runs off wheel. Agitate. Spray again for good measure. Blot dry, and many times let the wheel dry by itself as I move on to the next corner.

From what I've been reading, sounds like this would work just as well if not better.

It's the reason why I went through a whole gallon of D114 in less than a year. Mind you, this is every other day cleaning. So easy it was quite enjoyable to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review but I do have questions. You mentioned you pressure washed the car before doing a rinseless wash. If you have the pressure washer out wouldn't it be easier and faster just to wash the car with a good quality car soap? Also it looks like the water left on the vehicle after the pressure wash would dilute the rinseless wash? Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    Great review but I do have questions. You mentioned you pressure washed the car before doing a rinseless wash. If you have the pressure washer out wouldn't it be easier and faster just to wash the car with a good quality car soap? Also it looks like the water left on the vehicle after the pressure wash would dilute the rinseless wash? Is this correct?
    i was going to ask this very same thing also i would add why not use a foam gun since you have the pressure washer out. it is the best and most fun way to wash a car in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I guess. It's just the way I have been doing it for years. I'm not saying it's the right way or the best way. To me, it takes a lot longer to use conventional soap - because you have to keep rinsing it off. If you use a rinseless wash with DI water - you basically wipe the whole car down and just dry up some drips after. Plus, I only need to to add 1 gallon of water to 1 bucket using the GDWM.

But, this topic has been debated before. So if it's easier for you to fill up multiple buckets with conventional soap and do a conventional wash - go for it. For me it's fun in the summer, but that's about it.

Me personally, I never see how not using a rineseless wash on paint isn't easier and faster.

I don't worry about water left on paint diluting the RW. That is why I mentioned I mixed it a bit "stronger" than the recommended directions. In case someone asks how much stronger, I always mix my RW about 2x stronger than directions recommend. It's just how I've done it for years and it seems to work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review

Some good information!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, and thanks for doing a pH test!!!

I also use a similar pre rinse/rinseless wash process and I think it's quicker and less cumbersome than a traditional soap wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I guess. It's just the way I have been doing it for years. I'm not saying it's the right way or the best way. To me, it takes a lot longer to use conventional soap - because you have to keep rinsing it off. If you use a rinseless wash with DI water - you basically wipe the whole car down and just dry up some drips after. Plus, I only need to to add 1 gallon of water to 1 bucket using the GDWM.

But, this topic has been debated before. So if it's easier for you to fill up multiple buckets with conventional soap and do a conventional wash - go for it. For me it's fun in the summer, but that's about it.

Me personally, I never see how not using a rineseless wash on paint isn't easier and faster.

I don't worry about water left on paint diluting the RW. That is why I mentioned I mixed it a bit "stronger" than the recommended directions. In case someone asks how much stronger, I always mix my RW about 2x stronger than directions recommend. It's just how I've done it for years and it seems to work for me.
    I'm a little confused on you Rinseless Wash method. Are you saying you pressure wash the vehicle --- then wash the vehicle down with rinseless wash --- then pressure wash the rinseless solution off the vehicle - then dry? Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Review: Mckee's N-914 Rinseless Wash

I'm a little confused on you Rinseless Wash method. Are you saying you pressure wash the vehicle --- then wash the vehicle down with rinseless wash --- then pressure wash the rinseless solution off the vehicle - then dry? Is this correct?
    I just pressure wash the vehicle prior to doing a rinseless wash. I do this for the simple reason that I am convinced it's safer to rinse dirt off paint - opposed to wiping it off.

After a good pressure wash, there is very little dirt on the paint. So I can do a GDWM with like 4 towels. Some may say this is dumb, just do a conventional wash.

But IMHO, my way has several advantages over a conventional wash:

1. Only use 1 gallon of water & 1 bucket. Less time is spent filling buckets, and it's much easier to drag 1 gallon of water around a car - opposed to 10.

2. It's faster - as there is no rinsing

3. I only use DI water in the RW, so I pretty much let it drip/air dry and just wipe it down after. This makes drying a lot faster.

4. There is no compromise in the results whatsoever.

5. Your feet and arms don't get as wet - which is nice in the winter.

I've always done it this way. Never had a problem with swirls or marring. There are no water restrictions here - so not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. This sounds like my replacement for Meguiars D114.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast