autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel

Up next for review are the big blue drying towels that I won as part of the big blue giveaway. Thank you Nick for this giveaway.

I did wash these towels prior to use. They were washed using Poorboy’s World Typhoon Microfiber Cleaner which is a great product in itself.

Product description:

I've left the highlighted text that is most interesting to these towels.

I’ve been buying and selling microfiber towels for over twenty years, and I’ve never encountered a towel so thick and absorbent that jaws literally dropped upon first use. The Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel, available in three different sizes depending on the size of your vehicle (or submarine, for that matter), absorbs so much water you will never have to wring it out. Even the smallest size is capable of drying a full-size family sedan without needing to be wrung out. I promise this will be the best microfiber drying towel you’ve ever used.

With my history selling microfiber and working with the best factories all over the world, I know a thing or two about what makes a towel special. Big Blue, as we like to call it around the office, has all the features you would expect from a premium quality microfiber towel. Let’s go down the list, one-by-one if you will.

1. Big Blue is actually two towels, not one. What? That’s right. The only way to make a towel this thick and absorbent is by sewing two already massive, 600 gsm towels together. Big Blue weighs in at a hefty 1200 gsm!
    2. Korean Microfiber. Big Blue is constructed out of the highest quality microfiber Korea has to offer. To save costs, I had the final assembly of the towel take place in China. I wanted Big Blue to be affordable for common folk, after all!
    3. Silk banding. Every square inch of Big Blue’s design is 100% clear coat safe, even for black paint! The silk banding that outlines the towel glides over delicate surfaces without scratching. Use with confidence, even on black paint!
    4. Big Blue will not snag on emblems or sharp body lines, either. Unlike drying towels with aggressive, terry-like weaves, Big Blue glides across uneven surfaces without getting snagged.

Big Blue makes drying your car, truck, SUV, motor coach, or boat a breeze. No longer will you have to go over each panel multiple times, wringing out the towel in between passes. A single pass with Big Blue will completely absorb all remaining water droplets that are on the paint after rinsing. Big Blue easily cuts your drying time in half, if not more. Say goodbye to water spots for good!

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel is cheap insurance for keeping your just-polished, swirl-free paint looking pristine. The 1200 gsm design makes it possible for Big Blue to be used exclusively with the “blotting method.” This technique is the best to avoid inflicting swirls and hairline scratches on darker colors. Like the name implies, you blot the surface dry, instead of dragging the towel. It sounds unorthodox, but it works incredibly well.

I’ve sold hundreds, if not thousands, of different microfiber towels over the years and none of them come close to the performance of Big Blue. I guarantee it will be the thirstiest drying towel you’ve ever used.
    As the product description states, these towels are 1200 gsm. The first thing one notices is how plush they are. These are super soft towels.

I had set up my test hood which is the factory hood of my Pontiac Grand Prix. I was setting up to perform another product review. So this was a good opportunity to test the big blue towels as I was going to rinse off the hood. I did wipe the hood first with Optimum Opti-Clean to remove any dirt or dust off the surface. After doing that I took the hose and rinsed off the hood to get water on it.

I did not take photos but rather did a video to show the towels performance. These towels definitely pick up a lot of water. I did the blotting method on the hood and these towels picked up all the water from it. I also wiped water off the surface and the towels once again picked up all the water.

In the video I also compare the smallest big blue towel (18x18) to the rag company everest 1100 (16x16) towel. These are very similar in their design. The big blue towel is slightly larger and offers 1200 gsm where as the TRC everest is 1100 gsm. I find these towels to work best for a rinseless wash, spray detailers or spray waxes. The drawback to this type of plush towel is the movement of one's hand on the towel because of the thick cushion between the paint and hand. But they do work well.

The medium sized towel (26x18) would best be suited for smaller panels or smaller vehicles. The slight con with this one is when trying to fold the towel into say 4th's. It's too thick and becomes cumbersome at that point. Folding it in half is the way I preferred it.

The largest size towel (40x28) would best be suited for larger panels or larger vehicles. This towel is a little heavy right out of the bag. It will definitely get heavier as it picks up more water. I would not even bother trying to fold this towel. It's too thick as shown in the video. This towel is just thick. Best way to use it is flat onto the surface.

They are not the cheapest priced towels but overall they do what they are supposed to do and that is pick up water and leave the surface dry. They are plush and soft so they will not scratch the paint.

If someone else wants to try these towels out or just one of them feel free to PM me and I will send it out. Preferably someone in the states.

All towels can be purchased through Autogeek.

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel, 40 x 28

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel, 26 x 18 inches

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel

I tried to keep this one short. It's at 12 mins and change.

2. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel

When I 1st read that you didn't take any pics I thought "how could he have not taken any pics?? Him of all people how could that be"?
    Then you said you filmed a video instead and I was like "now that beats pics any day of the week, cool"! Lol.
    Excellent video review. Very clear on the mic, well done.Review - Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

OUTSTANDING!

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

This review is SPOT ON! I can't add a single thing because there is nothing else to say here but I would like to comment on the price. Yes they are more expensive but quality doesn't cost, it pays! I've been using my Big Blues down in the garage where it's no warmer than 45 and these towels soak up product even in cool conditions, I can only imagine how they perform when it's warmer out....I can't wait!

I plan on buying 2 more towels, the small and midsize one. This way I can rotate them around and not over use a certain towel but because of how plush they are, the quality will stand the test of time and not let you down IMO.

Based off of this review and provided video everyone should get a couple of these towels based off of your needs and useage, this is one of the best products available here on Auto Geek, hands down!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you about the price. Some folks are turned off by higher prices. All the sales that are constantly running help. That is when I would recommend someone to pick one up. It is a nice towel for sure.

I will get back to those who have PMed me about the towels later. In the middle of another product review

Post Thanks / Like

Guz is the weave on these looped like the gold plush and supremes? Or is it open/split like an eagle?

Are there any AG towels that do have an open weave like the Eagles? (Woobie??)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Guz is the weave on these looped like the gold plush and supremes? Or is it open/split like an eagle?

Are there any AG towels that do have an open weave like the Eagles? (Woobie??)
    More like the eagle edgeless from the rag company.

I don't know what towel would be similar to eagle edgeless. I buy a majority of my towels from TRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the blotting method still work with plush towels like this when using a drying aid?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Does the blotting method still work with plush towels like this when using a drying aid?

Sent from my iPhone
    Good question. I have no idea. I never gave that a try.

FYI the large towel has been spoken for. PM's are out to the next person to choose a size and the third person waiting in line will receive the remaining towel. As of now the towels are spoken for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Good question. I have no idea. I never gave that a try.

FYI the large towel has been spoken for. PM's are out to the next person to choose a size and the third person waiting in line will receive the remaining towel. As of now the towels are spoken for.

Great review! Also, way to pay it forward!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast