autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Heater

I have a basement with ductwork and was wondering if I ran one of the ducts from the basement out to the garage if that one duct would actually make any difference in the garage temp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    I have a basement with ductwork and was wondering if I ran one of the ducts from the basement out to the garage if that one duct would actually make any difference in the garage temp?
    From what I have read it is against code in most areas for your home to share hvac equipment with your garage. The reasons include carbon monoxide, gas, and other chemical fumes entering the house through and around ductwork, and causing an imbalance in the air in/returning through the system.

If you do a web search on the topic you will find lots of info.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just installed gas Reznor explosion proof heater for the garage for those cold Michigan Winters. Building a detail bay. Fully insulated the attic with R30 and the walls with I believe R19. We have had 1 or 2 nights below freezing. With the thermostat off the garage was about 44. Explosion proof is a must with all the buff media and or sanding particulates in the air. My mobile business has moved indoors for the winter. Just starting out Dec 10 officially.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy98 View Post
    I've just installed gas Reznor explosion proof heater for the garage for those cold Michigan Winters. Building a detail bay. Fully insulated the attic with R30 and the walls with I believe R19. We have had 1 or 2 nights below freezing. With the thermostat off the garage was about 44. Explosion proof is a must with all the buff media and or sanding particulates in the air. My mobile business has moved indoors for the winter. Just starting out Dec 10 officially.

Which one did you get?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Your garage must need better insulation. Our garage is fully insulated and nearly always stays 20 degrees higher than the outside air without any heat running so long as the temps are not artic. When temps drop below freezing the difference drops. However, keeping our garage at 60 degrees using our heater hasn't jumped the bill much at all. At night I most always kick it down to 45 degree as I make my way around and insure all the house is locked up. When I get my coffee in the morning I bump it to 60.

Makes a huge difference that IMO is well worth it. Especially when going out to leave for the day as the cars warm up so much faster when fluid aren't frozen.
    I should have been more clear. This was during the dead of winter-maybe +10° for highs and -20's for overnight lows. Add to the opening garage door, the side doors (ya gotta let the dog out) ad in the wind that never seems to cease, and it really hard to maintain a constant temperature level.

I hear ya about letting the vehicle(s) warm up the garage when they 'come back home', but again the engine may be warm, the other parts are still damn cold.

As to the garage...2X6 construction (R-30ish), ceiling around R-60 (2 full 14" batts), insulated g-door, 'storm doors' on all exterior doors (2). The only thing that isn't insulated is the floor. That should have been, but somewhere in building process, never happened. Blame my B in law, he was the builder (LOL).

I have to also add-I HATE WINTER! The older I get the more I grumpy I get for these 3 months.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask what heater you are using??

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Your garage must need better insulation. Our garage is fully insulated and nearly always stays 20 degrees higher than the outside air without any heat running so long as the temps are not artic. When temps drop below freezing the difference drops. However, keeping our garage at 60 degrees using our heater hasn't jumped the bill much at all. At night I most always kick it down to 45 degree as I make my way around and insure all the house is locked up. When I get my coffee in the morning I bump it to 60.

Makes a huge difference that IMO is well worth it. Especially when going out to leave for the day as the cars warm up so much faster when fluid aren't frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    May I ask what heater you are using??
    King KBP2406 5700-Watt MAX 240-Volt model. Check out Amazon for the info. Very happy with this one.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pdqgp!!

Post Thanks / Like

I occasionally, but not often, work in my garage in the winter if the outside temp is not too low. My garage is connected, so is generally warmer than the outside temp to begin with. Then I simply open the door between the house and the garage. Takes the edge off. Only works when my wife isn't home.

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't take much to insulate the garage doors yourself, but you would need to get heavier duty springs installed. I used to do garage door servicing and repair so if anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask me. I don't know much about insulation ratings and such, but anything mechanical I can assist with, especially with it being winter and springs are going to start breaking left and right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12