autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS

A friend has a black Honda Passport 4x4. Although it has never been taken off-road, it has been through hundreds of machine car washes. The micro-scratches were very thick, almost to the point of making the paint look like it was a dark grey. I decided to compare the HD Speed to the UHS, I used the Flex 3401 with the HD Speed and the Rupes 21 with the UHS. I tried to refine my technique by going very slowly and letting the chemicals and the polishers do their jobs. Overall, the results were pretty much equal. However, as many have experienced, the Rupes was a challenge to keep rotating on some of the sharp curves and side panels. The Flex powered through like a tank, but it also weighed more than the Rupes and it was a bit more of a challenge to keep from getting fatigued. The HD Speed and the UHS seemed to both work well. I was equally impressed by both of them. Slow is the key word, let the machines and the products work the surface. In the end, I was amazed at the outcome. The paint looked better than new, aside from some scrapes and some really deep scratches. Two great products that I would recommend without reservations. Good luck. Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-oct-13-2016-016-jpg   Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-oct-13-2016-001-jpg   Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-oct-13-2016-004-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    However, as many have experienced, the Rupes was a challenge to keep rotating on some of the sharp curves and side panels. The Flex powered through like a tank
    that's just it, if someone isn't patient and gets easily annoyed of stalling, then the flex is the way to go. there's a reason why it's been around as long as it has...

Post Thanks / Like

2nd and third pictures are before shots?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    that's just it, if someone isn't patient and gets easily annoyed of stalling, then the flex is the way to go. there's a reason why it's been around as long as it has...
    What about the Mark II with a washer mod? Will it still stall out on moderate curves?

Post Thanks / Like

Shots didn't show the damage very well. The second shot is before shot. The third shot shows the before on the top and the after on the bottom. The Rupes was the original with the washer mod. Phil.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind UHS is a traditional polish with no protective attributes. HD Speed is and AIO. IMHO HD Speed is one of, if not the best ever formulated. Great comparison, you've proven how superior HD Speed is to any finsihing polish out there, which is what I've always personally believed based upon my experiences with it too. Thanks for the review.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Rupes mini and 15 MK II and they have never had this stalling problem? I use Rupes pads and polishes only with my Rupes machines and have been very happy with the performance. I also have Flex 3401 and it is great also but is forced rotation so stalling is not possible unless I sit on it.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What about the Mark II with a washer mod? Will it still stall out on moderate curves?
    Without the washer mod it will power through moderate curves. On aggressive curves a wrist adjustment and it will power through those too. The MKII's are correction monsters, think rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS, Pinnacle Advanced Wheel Cleaner and Black Fire Eclipse Tire Gel, Thumbs up all around

Here is another experience with the Flex 3401 and HD Speed and the Rupes 21 and UHS pads and product. A buddy has a late 90s Mercedes E320. I don't think that he has ever washed it, really. The surface of the paint was so rough, it was like 80 grit sandpaper. He was doing a favor on my car so I thought that I would return the favor. I washed it, out in the street, I didn't want all of the crud from the car in my driveway. I then clayed it, twice, it was so rough. I pulled it into the garage and pulled out the Flex 3401 and the HS Speed, I really could have reached for the blue pads and product for my Rupes 21, but I had to work on it and night and it was already approaching 8 pm. I was blown away by the results, it turned out great. The were some small rust puckers on the hood, nothing but a repaint is going to fix those, but man, did it turn out nice. I did pull the Rupes and the UHS pad and product for a comparison, but the hood on the Mercedes had some curves that the Rupes just doesn't handle very well. It isn't technique, it is the machine. It is great on large flat or flatter surfaces, but it stalls out on the curves and on the side panels. I am sorry to say that but that is my experience. The Rupes is a great tool, well engineered and lighter than the Flex, but when time is a consideration, the Flex is my go to machine. I added a shot of the hood, with a before and after. It had been washed and clayed, half polished with HS Speed and half not, same with the top and then a money shot. I topped the HD Speed with some Better Butter Wax. Goes on smooth and comes off pretty easy if you can keep it to thin layers. The thicker the application, the tougher it is to get off. Sorry, it was in the garage and approaching midnight so I wasn't able to get any daylight shots. He was blown away when he saw it. One of his customers was at the shop when I dropped it off. He didn't believe that it was his car...... The wheels had some nasty brown brake dust stains. I was in the garage so I had limited space, so I put some Pinnacle Advanced Wheel Cleaner on a microfiber towel and wiped the wheels, surprisingly, it worked really well. I should have put on some gloves, but I was in a rush. I was concerned that I might get some irritation but all was good. Washed my hands with soap and water, put on some lotion, not something that I normally do. No irritation, no burns. Normally, I would have sprayed it on the wheels and let it sit for a bit before cleaning with a brush and then rinsing off with clean water. I used Black Fire Eclipse Tire Gel that I got as a free sample with a Autogeek order. The stuff was great, time will tell, but for immediate looks, it worked really well. As a bonus ,it smells great. It goes on easy and looks terrific. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-oct-19-2016-023-jpg   Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-oct-19-2016-024-jpg   Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-oct-19-2016-028-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS, Pinnacle Advanced Wheel Cleaner and Black Fire Eclipse Tire Gel, Thumbs up all around

I have a Flex 3401 and got to use it for the first time on this Ram i did and i used HD Speed with a LC light cutting pad and results were amazing for what HD Speed is. It wasnt a 100% perfect finish by any means but it had the customer speechless so thats always good. I would like to eventually get a Rupes possibly but so far the Flex is doing great. I came from a Meguiars G110V2 though which i still use with 3 and 4 inch pads. There is a 50/50 shot (not the best angle) and the truck after buffing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-buffing-line-jpg   Flex 3401 and HD Speed vs. Rupes 21 and UHS-2-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast