autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Note: The dried on wax in these photos is very likely some Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealer from more than a year ago (other possibilities include Collinite 476 or Menz PL). It's been through two hot summers and one long winter, in addition to countless washes. I've never actually taken a stiff nylon brush to the stains before today, but I have attempted to remove them with a microfiber and APC in the past. The "before" and "after" photos posted here were taken today.

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-img_1563-jpg

I sprayed the product liberally on the stains. The sprayer feels more like an atomizer-style sprayer than it does a typical APC-style spray bottle. The sprayer works just fine, although a lot of product comes out with a single spritz. I found that I needed to move my arm in a "sweeping" motion in order for one single spray to be dispersed evenly along edges. If you spritz in just one spot, you just get way too much product and it will run on you. When I applied the spray on vertical areas, I held a microfiber underneath against the panel to prevent running of the product and to absorb excess. It's thin.

The wind was blowing hard today, and I found that the product would begin to evaporate if I didn't get right after it. So, I applied product, waited about 10-15 seconds, and then gently scrubbed with a stiff-bristled nylon brush for about 30 seconds. Then I wiped with a microfiber. As the remaining product evaporated over the next few seconds, the results were evident. Some stain was removed, some remained. Repeat. On the lightly stained areas, 2-3 quick applications were required. On the heavier stained areas, 4-5 applications were required with longer agitation.

I am not insinuating in the least that multiple applications were a lot of work- I could easily do 4-5 applications in about 4 minutes. And I wasn't bearing down on the brush. It would have been nice to let the product "dwell" before attempting removal, but because all of my stains were on areas where the product would run, I couldn't. Combined with the breeze evaporating the product, I had to work quickly today.

Does the product work? Definitely. Would I buy it again? Definitely. This product doesn't magically dissolve dried wax off surfaces with a single spritz. You need to work it a bit, just as you would if you were attempting to remove a stain out of carpet (that's a fair analogy in my opinion). But without a doubt, this product does what it is supposed to do-- and it does it better than other products I've tried.

Before: If you look closely at the top edge, you'll see white residue all along the top. There was more there than it looks like in the photo. I thought this was likely permanent.
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-tail-1-jpg

After: this is with Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant applied after using the McKee's wax remover
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-tail-2-jpg

Before:
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-jpg

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-b-jpg

After:
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-c-jpg

Before:
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-1-jpg

After:
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic-2-jpg

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic removes dried on wax from plastic rubber vinyl trim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Nice to hear this product works as promoted, my bottle arrives tomorrow! Thanks for the review!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a great review! I have a bottle coming today. From the reviews I've seen, its all good. I am pretty careful, but bought it for the just in case piece of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confident in saying if you get to your "misplaced" wax/sealer stains within a month, the McKee's will knock it out easily. As I said, my stains were over a year old and had a firm grip. I think you'll be pleased with your product choice.

Post Thanks / Like

"Why bother?"

Because not everyone enjoys using home-brew alky stuff. I sure don't. And some of us actually like to have specialty items in the inventory (CarPro Eraser, for example).

ps
    Check out them cool shoes.