autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use

I received the McKee's Paint, Wheel & Glass Coating Kit as a prize from the Giveaway Game Show (Thanks again, Autogeek!), and today got up early to apply the McKee's 37 Glass Coating to my windshield.

I cleaned the windshield with my usual glass cleaner, clayed with warm water, then wiped with IPA before applying the coating. After all that cleaning, I saw no reason to use the polish on the windshield as there are just a few minor stone chips that it wouldn't have taken out anyway.

I used the included foam wax applicator to apply the coating. It could not have been easier to apply. I used liberal amounts as the fine mist seems to flash rather quickly, and spread with the applicator. I worked on half the windshield at a time, letting the coating dwell for 2-3 minutes before buffing with a clean MF. I was really surprised how easy it was to buff, even when I went back 10 minutes later and noticed a tiny bit that I had missed in a corner.

It's supposed to rain this weekend, so I'll be updating with a review of the performance, and, if safety allows, some "action" photos.

McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use-windshield-1-jpg
    (A rather unhelpful photo of
    a seemingly clean windshield.)

Previously, I had used Mothers Carnauba Paste Wax on the windshield, which worked well. But I'm very curious to see how the McKee's works as I've heard very good things. For a comparison, I cleaned the rear window using the same steps (less the IPA), and used Griot's Spray Wax to coat it. (No photo.)
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use

Nice! I have never put any sort of coating on any of my windshields and visors...you get to call me n00b.

Good to know the product didn't give you any hard time after being left on the surface.

Any decent product should have no issues repelling water. The real test (for me) is how it behaves with the wipers; smoothness, ghosting, and trails. The sunrise, sunset test; cloudiness/haze/hologram is simply dreadful. Does it attract dust and/or display them in an oddly manner. Also equally important - how it behaves after a few showers and at the end of its cycle; residue, spotting, etc.

Yeah, I'm a bit picky and paranoid when it comes to glass. I guess this is why I pretty much stay away from any sort of treatment other than a good cleaner. Maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days.

3. Likes mustangular liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear. It's really an easy product to use and it performs well. You will like it. You will enjoy how much easier it is to clean the glass.

No need to worry about ghosting and trails. The coating buffs off clean. Wipers glide ride across the glass. Over time it will need to be clayed. Maybe once a year. I have personally clayed DP glass coating without losing the coatings behavior on the glass. Simply refresh and it's good to go again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Glad to hear. It's really an easy product to use and it performs well. You will like it. You will enjoy how much easier it is to clean the glass.

No need to worry about ghosting and trails. The coating buffs off clean. Wipers glide ride across the glass. Over time it will need to be clayed. Maybe once a year. I have personally clayed DP glass coating without losing the coatings behavior on the glass. Simply refresh and it's good to go again.
    Can you comment on the McKee's vs Aquapel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Can you comment on the McKee's vs Aquapel?
    Unfortunately I never used Aquapel. Went straight to a glass coating and never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have personally clayed DP glass coating without losing the coatings behavior on the glass. Simply refresh and it's good to go again.
    This is great information Guz, thanks for sharing. I've been using the DP (now McKee's) glass coating since last year and have been very pleased with it's ease of application and performance.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Nice! I have never put any sort of coating on any of my windshields and visors...you get to call me n00b.

Good to know the product didn't give you any hard time after being left on the surface.

Any decent product should have no issues repelling water. The real test (for me) is how it behaves with the wipers; smoothness, ghosting, and trails. The sunrise, sunset test; cloudiness/haze/hologram is simply dreadful. Does it attract dust and/or display them in an oddly manner. Also equally important - how it behaves after a few showers and at the end of its cycle; residue, spotting, etc.

Yeah, I'm a bit picky and paranoid when it comes to glass. I guess this is why I pretty mu stay away from any sort of treatment other than a good cleaner. Maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days.
    I also hate glass coatings that leave residue or any of the above promblems you mentioned..went to ag and asked for the best glass coating,I was willing to spend whatever.Nick said mckees so off I went with the product.prep is key so I took my Ibrid with megs 300 compound and polished glass.Then I did a ipa wipe down twice on each glass.applied coating twice on each glass to ensure proper coverage.This was 2 weeks ago,with all the tropical storms down here it was put to the test.Beads nice easy on easy off does what it says.Deos not perform like rain x where the water just runs off the glass at higher speeds.although its durability can withstand 3 car washes .so for the money ease of use and moderate performance on scale from 1 to 10 it's a seven.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to iPa wiper blades as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Any other glass coating will leave a residue behind and glaring at night,this product deos not do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Water runs off the glass on the highway with m37 glass coat for me. Maybe not to the same extent as rainx (haven't used it on a windshield since the early 90's), but the wipers don't have to run as much. To me it acts like a nice coating of wax would.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast