autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfPaintStains View Post
    Not seeing this review, i just bought the metro sidekick a couple weeks ago. Initially, feeling the power with my hands, i was impressed. Putting my hand next to the outlet, it was able to move my skin, so that was good. After I used it, i was a bit disappointed. It wasn't powerful enough and it probably wasn't meant to be. So something to note for potential buyers for the side kick; it's good for nooks and crannies like light gaps, front grills, door handles, mirror, and bumper gap to blow any seeping water out. If you want this to dry the whole car, it may, but it'll take way way longer than expected if you are avg sized car is not maintained. That is if it's not waxed or have a LSP. I found myself chasing the water beads all over..lol. Seemed like it would just never dry. Needless to say, it just didn't have enough power. If I would've saw this review, I would've def got the turbo dryer.
    the sidekick would be good for drying the engine and other areas you mentioned but not for drying a whole car. mine is collecting dust...

Junior Member attention2detaillhc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Yeah, that is how I use it now. Not a big deal but wanted to mention any areas where people may have an issue

http://www.attention2detailhc.com
    Jon - Lake Havasu City, Arizona - AKA In the middle of the desert!
    http://www.attention2detaillhc.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Marc! Professional and through. Really well done.

And you're right about the hidden cost of the Master Blaster requiring an upgraded outlet for use - except - according to the National Electric Code even with a 20amp circuit w/ 12 gauge wire you're still overloading the circuit with both motors running on a Masterblaster:

The NEC specifies that a circuit breaker shouldn't handle more than 80 percent of the load for which it is rated unless the breaker is labeled otherwise. By this standard, the total current draw on a 20-amp circuit shouldn't exceed 16 amps at any one time, which translates to a maximum power draw of 1,920 watts on a conventional 120-volt circuit, even though the breaker won't trip until the power draw exceeds 2,400 watts.

At full blast, the Master Blaster is pulling 18 amps = a power draw of 2,160 watts. Meaning to stay below the 80% threshold you actually need a 30amp circuit running 10 gauge copper wire to the outlet you're plugging a Master Blaster into.

How do I know all of this? Because it's what my electrician father-in-law and electrical engineer brother-in-law explained to me after I bought my master blaster They were honestly surprised the Master Blaster didn't come with a 30amp plug given how much power is drawn. Their advice? Even on the 20amp outlet in my garage only use both motors briefly to avoid overloading the circut.

So yeah, buying a McKee's Turbo Dryer is a MUCH better and safer idea!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot once again Angus!!! Much appreciated.

WOW that's some serious electrical information. I really appreciate the info. I hope I don't trip the breaker running it so close to 20A LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post

And you're right about the hidden cost of the Master Blaster requiring an upgraded outlet for use - except - according to the National Electric Code even with a 20amp circuit w/ 12 gauge wire you're still overloading the circuit with both motors running on a Masterblaster:

The NEC specifies that a circuit breaker shouldn't handle more than 80 percent of the load for which it is rated unless the breaker is labeled otherwise. By this standard, the total current draw on a 20-amp circuit shouldn't exceed 16 amps at any one time, which translates to a maximum power draw of 1,920 watts on a conventional 120-volt circuit, even though the breaker won't trip until the power draw exceeds 2,400 watts.

At full blast, the Master Blaster is pulling 18 amps = a power draw of 2,160 watts. Meaning to stay below the 80% threshold you actually need a 30amp circuit running 10 gauge copper wire to the outlet you're plugging a Master Blaster into.

How do I know all of this? Because it's what my electrician father-in-law and electrical engineer brother-in-law explained to me after I bought my master blaster They were honestly surprised the Master Blaster didn't come with a 30amp plug given how much power is drawn. Their advice? Even on the 20amp outlet in my garage only use both motors briefly to avoid overloading the circut.

2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post

very good points, thanks for sharing this info!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for this input. I was just about to splurge for a MB but after reading this - the Amperage; PITA; cost; portability.....
    I'm sold on the McKee's. Thank you once again for your inputs on this forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t see it mentioned, but I think another big benefit is that the air from the mckees dryer is heated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Again, I see a review done by Marc that I previously missed. Again, I am blown away by the detail and thoroughness of the review. Nice job, Marc. Alas, I have the metro. In retrospect, I would buy the McKees...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456