autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Optimum Opti-Glass Coating, Optimum Paint Prep and Opti-Glass Clean & Protect

Well I was not planning to do a review on Opti-Glass coating but Autopia forum member rookiez asked me about doing one. There is an included bonus with Opti-Glass Clean & Protect.

All three products can be found on Autogeek.

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating, windshield coating, windshield coating to prevent chips

Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect

Optimum Paint Prep

The test subject for Opti-Glass Coating is my dad's 2015 Impala LTZ. The windshield is the only thing that is currently coated. This was my test area. I will eventually coat the rest of the glass.

This was the process I used:

-Washed with Meguiar's D114 rinesless wash
    -Clayed with Meguiar's M34 and a clay magic clay bar
    -Used Optimum Paint Prep to remove any clay lube residue and to prep the glass for maximum performance
    -Applied one coat of Opti-Glass Coating.

Opti-Glass Coating:

I found this to be easy to work with. I followed the directions right on the bottle. Directions you say? That's blasphemous lol. The directions state to let it sit on the glass for 2 minutes and then remove. I did just that. It was easy to remove. I did not have to struggle with wiping it off. I could feel the slickness left behind.

I did use a spare blue foam applicator that comes with Optimum Gloss Coat. I primed the pad with 2 sprays. I applied a spray of product and worked in small sections. It did flash a bit quickly but I was working outside in the shade. I found the Gloss Coat foam applicator to be to grabby. I had to use more product a bit sooner than I liked. Next time I will try a suede applicator to compare it to the foam applicator.

It does cost more coming in at $70 for 60cc's (roughly 2 oz`s). So some might be turned off by it based on the price. Optimum claims "up to 1 year" of longevity. I will be leaving this on the glass for the long term and compare it against DP Glass Coating which I have previously used. My longevity may be longer than others since I am in Southern California which is still in a drought. So who knows when the rain will come. So this means that there will be limited abrasion by the wiper blades.

The following day I washed the car and caught the performance of the product.

Me pouring water from a bottle.

During the wash process being blasted with water from my foam gun nozzle.

Optimum Paint Prep:

I purchased one of the gloss coat kits and it included the paint prep.

So this is Optimum's paint prep product. Similar to CarPro offering Eraser. Nothing new here other than using it to prep the surface for a coating. It does mention on the rear of the bottle that it contains no surfactants. That is a good thing. It means it will not interfere with the coating bonding to the paint. Some have said that Eraser leaves surfactants and some have said it doesn't. Optimum clearly states that it doesn't contain any right on the bottle.

One thing I did notice is that it's scent it rather potent. Unlike Eraser which has a nice scent to it. Optimum smells a lot more like IPA. Other than that I had no issues using it. It's a great product for those that enjoy the Optimum synergy.

Opti-Glass Clean & Protect:

This is a bonus. I have DP Glass Coating on all the glass of my Camaro. I washed up my Camaro and followed up with Opti-Clean & Protect once everything was dried.

I used it with a waffle weave towel from The Rag Company. Both worked great together.

I had no issues using this. I used it to remove any remaining water that was on the glass after using the DP Turbo Dryer to remove most of the water from the surface. I found it to work effortlessly in that aspect. I can not say how this would perform on a surface that has light dust or dirt on it. That will have to wait for a future use. It did do a good job cleaning the surface. I did notice some slickness after using it on all the glass.

This would make a nice maintenance type product (aka booster) for a glass coating such Opti-Glass Coating or other glass coatings.

Here one can see the left over water that was on the glass after using the DP Turbo Dryer. I left it on the glass longer as I was wiping down the paint with some detail spray. It allowed me to test the effectiveness of the product on these becoming water spots. No issues removing them.

Before

After

Completely removed from the glass and leaving behind a slick surface.

All optimum products performed excellent. All were easy to use. I will post back some updates on the glass coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Optimum Opti-Glass Coating, Optimum Paint Prep and Opti-Glass Clean & Protect

Good timing- I just jumped on to ask a question about this exact product. I was highway driving this last weekend on a two lane at 65mph and met a gravel truck headed in the opposite direction. Whenever this happens I always immediately slow down, but I was deep in thought and totally missed it. I got hammered. It was like someone threw a gallon bucket of sand off the truck that hit me at 120mph. I noticed in the sun tonight that the windshield is absolutely trashed. Really pissed me off. One year old truck. Anyway, would a product like this opti-glass do any filling of the micro-chips in the windshield to lessen their appearance?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Optimum Opti-Glass Coating, Optimum Paint Prep and Opti-Glass Clean & Protect

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Anyway, would a product like this opti-glass do any filling of the micro-chips in the windshield to lessen their appearance?
    Good question. Although I am not an expert in this product as I was using this the first time. I am going to say that it probably depends on how small the chips are. The glass on this car is chip free (at least to the naked eye) which is rather impressive considering it was a former rental car.

I also have DP Glass Coating (now McKee's 37) and I didn't notice any filling on chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts yet on the DP (McKees) vs Opti-glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Too soon for me to to tell how long Opti-Glass is going to last. But Opti-Glass is going strong. I have been using Opti Glass Clean & Protect on the glass every other wash so that is only going to extend the life and performance of Opti-Glass. I have been using it on my daily driver as well to prolong the life of DP.

With DP on my daily driver I was able to go a full year with DP before reapplication. That's with very little rain. I do find Opti-Glass to perform slightly better thus far.

I did put DP on my uncles van and he got 3 months out of it before the performance slowed down quite a bit. He does live by a refinery so I am sure he has some contamination on the glass.

If you are looking to try out a coating that is affordable, McKee's is the one to go with. Both products go a long way and will last quite a long time. Both make washing and cleaning the glass effortless.

Right now I am leaning towards opti glass being better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Right now I am leaning towards opti glass being better.
    Thanks, Guz. Is one slicker than the other? I'm not worried about the longevity as much as wiper chatter. I deal with a lot of annual precip, both summer and winter. I'm getting several months out of my Aquapel, but it does start to chatter after awhile. Hoping to avoid this. I think I'll give the McKee's a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Thanks, Guz. Is one slicker than the other? I'm not worried about the longevity as much as wiper chatter. I deal with a lot of annual precip, both summer and winter. I'm getting several months out of my Aquapel, but it does start to chatter after awhile. Hoping to avoid this. I think I'll give the McKee's a try.
    Opti Glass I can't say. There has been no rain here in Southern California for a few months. With DP I had the occasional chatter.

Slickness is about the same.