autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Grit Guard Washboard - A Comprehensive Review

Ever since I saw photos of Grit Guard’s new “Washboard” insert at the 2015 SEMA show I’ve been eager to get my hands on one. That day came in late April, 5 months later, when they finally started popping up for sale.

From Grit Guard`s product page for the Washboard:
    The Grit Guard Washboard works in conjunction with the Grit Guard Insert in your wash bucket to separate the grit from the mitt! Like it`s sister product, the Grit Guard Insert, the Grit Guard Washboard has NO flat surfaces for dirt or grit to be collected. Contaminants are extracted from cleaning tools while rubbing them on the downward stroke against the Washboard

On to my review!

Unboxing:

Opening the top flap reveals straightforward assembly instructions:

I believe part of the delay with Grit Guard bring this to market was around issue of the Washboard separating while in use. From what I can tell, GG has overcome this by adding these small barbs to the legs you insert into the Washboard:

Notice how the barbs are different on the opposite side:

Once inserted the legs feel very secure and do not give the impression they’ll easily come out:

Infact when you insert the Washboard into the Grit Guard, the slits on the legs opens are a hair too narrow and expand ever so slightly to form a nice tight grip on the GG base:

Had I realized this was going to happen, I would have taken before/after photos to share with you. Sorry!

Another new feature (I think) GG added is this little lip that helps to lock the Washboard’s base into the Grit Guard and helps to align the Washboard’s legs directly over the GG’s bottom fins :

With all the above details combined, the Washboard feel very secure and not at all loose from the Grit Guard.

Inserted into a 5 gallon bucket:

The Washboard sits 4 ¾ inches from the top lip:

From the outside you can see the Washboard’s shadow hits the bucket’s 3 ¾ gallon marking:

Last but not least, perhaps the single best thing about the Washboard:

It’s very nice to see this was made in the USA.

2 Bucket Washing In Action

Normally I keep around 3 gallons of water in my rinse bucket, but as I showed in previous photo the washboard would not be visible - for display purposes only - I’m going to drop the water level down to ~2 gallons making the top of the washboard appear.

Here a shot of my “bottom” 3rd of the car wash mitt dirty:

Washboard in action:

Nice and clean!

As you can see, it works very well at removing dirt and debris..

Another benefit I’ve noticed from using the washboard is the increase of soap bubbles in my rinse bucket. Thanks to the constant agitation of wash mitt against the washboard no soap is going to waste and I’m using it more effectively to help break down and remove dirt from the wash mitt. Here’s a photo of the difference in soap bubble concentration between my rinse (left) and wash (right) buckets:

With the photo’s contrast + exposure adjusted in order to bring out the soap bubble density:

Additional Comments

I’ve read comments from early Washboard beta testers complaining about the Washboard legs separating while in use and needing to use zip-ties to hold everything together. From using the Washboard this has not happened to me and I would be very surprised if it ever did.

I’ve also seen people comment about how far they need to reach down into their bucket in order to touch the Washboard. To this point, may I suggest elevating your wash station?

(RIP Vega@Autopia`s Sable)

By raising both your Wash and Rinse bucket up on a work platform, you’ll have an easier time not only scrubbing your mitt clean BUT also reloading it with soap with space left over for a beverage or two.

Lastly I`ve seen comments on the washboard + grit guard spinning around the bottom of some peoples rinse bucket. This doesn`t happen for me - I guess the bottom diameter of my wash bucket is smaller so the grit guard fits more snugly? Just a guess.

Final Thoughts

Should you buy this? Yes, for $12.99 I do think so. How many should you buy? I honestly can’t see more then buying 1 washboard for use in your rinse bucket. Placing one into your wash bucket wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense since you shouldn’t be scrubbing dirt off your wash media in it.

For the now the Washboard only comes in black, but I’m sure with time GG will offer it in the same range of colors the Grit Guard is currently available in.

As always, I hope this review was helpful. Happy to answer any questions you may have

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit Guard Washboard - A Comprehensive Review

great review gonna add one to my cart now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I've already given it my seal of approval, in fact I just used it the other night for scrubbing some dirty applicators in Snappy Clean.

One correction, Grit Guard tells me they have no plans to make it in the other colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by white97 View Post
    great review gonna add one to my cart now.
    Cool! Glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Thanks for the review. I've already given it my seal of approval, in fact I just used it the other night for scrubbing some dirty applicators in Snappy Clean.

One correction, Grit Guard tells me they have no plans to make it in the other colors.
    Thanks, Setec! Interesting tidbit about GG only making it in Black... for now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Thanks, Setec! Interesting tidbit about GG only making it in Black... for now!
    I wasn't told "for now", I was told they have no plans to make it in the other colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!! I wash dealer lots and use the synthetic sheepskin wash mitt, the Grit Guard, and Washboard. The Washboard is a must for one car or multiple cars. It makes cleaning the wash mitt much easier and faster

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one and it's great. It's really the same concept as the grit guard, but I don't have to get my arms in a funny angle to scrub against it. It's very natural. I used it for the 1st time today and it was pretty cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the review. Looks like I need to get one.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    Great review!! I wash dealer lots and use the synthetic sheepskin wash mitt, the Grit Guard, and Washboard. The Washboard is a must for one car or multiple cars. It makes cleaning the wash mitt much easier and faster
    Thanks! Sounds like you're really maximizing the washboard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 11B250 View Post
    I bought one and it's great. It's really the same concept as the grit guard, but I don't have to get my arms in a funny angle to scrub against it. It's very natural. I used it for the 1st time today and it was pretty cool!
    I agree! The washboard makes cleaning off your wash media considerably easier.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    Thank you for the review. Looks like I need to get one.
    Happy to hear it! For $12 you can't go wrong.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I love the washboard. I don't have the problem of reaching too far down into the bucket because in one I have the washboard, regular grit guard, and a chemical guys cyclone dirt trap at the bottom! In the other bucket I have a grit guard and cyclone dirt trap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast