autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Grit Guard Washboard - Initial Impressions Review

Ever since I saw photos of Grit Guard’s new “Washboard” insert at the 2015 SEMA show I’ve been eager to get my hands on one. That day finally came this past Wednesday, 5 months later, when UPS delivered one to me!

Opening the top flap reveals straightforward assembly instructions:

I believe part of the delay with Grit Guard bring this to market was around issue of the Washboard separating while in use. From what I can tell, GG has overcome this by adding these small barbs to the legs you insert into the Washboard:

Notice how the barbs are different on the opposite side:

Once inserted the legs feel very secure and do not give the impression they’ll easily come out:

Infact when you insert the Washboard into the Grit Guard, the slits on the legs opens are a hair too narrow and expand ever so slightly to form a nice tight grip on the GG base:

Had I realized this was going to happen, I would have taken before/after photos to share with you. Sorry!

Another new feature (I think) GG added is this little lip that helps to lock the Washboard’s base into the Grit Guard and helps to align the Washboard’s legs directly over the GG’s bottom fins :

With all the above details combined, the Washboard feel very secure and not at all loose from the Grit Guard. I’ve read comments from early Washboard users complaining about pieces separating while in use and needing to use zip-ties to hold everything together. From everything I can tell, I would be very surprised if that happens now. But if it does I will be sure to share my findings.

Here’s how the Grit Guard + Washboard look once inserted into my 5 gallon bucket,

The Washboard sits 4 ¾ inches from the top lip:

For some reason I expected it to reach higher in the bucket. I’m sure this fine though.

From the outside you can see the Washboard’s shadow hits the bucket’s 3 ¾ gallon marking:

Last but not least, perhaps the single best thing about the Washboard:

It’s very nice to see this was made in the USA.

For the now the Washboard only comes in black, but I’m sure with time GG will offer it in the same range of colors the Grit Guard is currently available in.

I’ll be sure to share my experiences using the Washboard during 2 bucket washes and if any of my above observations are proven incorrect during normal use.

Hope this review was helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit Guard Washboard - Initial Impressions Review

update us when you can! i want one of these but the regular gg works i dont want to waist money for something that is just a convenience

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Angus! I guess that's going to stick out the top of my 3.5 gal buckets.

I'm still trying to figure out what those square "wrench flats" are towards the bottom of the legs. Do you think you can remove the washboard from the Grit Guard if you wanted to take it apart for some reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Great review, Angus! I guess that's going to stick out the top of my 3.5 gal buckets.

I'm still trying to figure out what those square "wrench flats" are towards the bottom of the legs. Do you think you can remove the washboard from the Grit Guard if you wanted to take it apart for some reason?
    Thanks, Setec! Good question about the wrench flats:

After taking a closer look, I can't see an immediate or obvious use for them. Maybe someone can help enlighten us?

As far as separating the washboard form the grit guard - I'm sure you can. After I've used it a couple of times I'll see how much effort is required to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review and pictures. Look forward to seeing how it works during the wash.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Thanks, Setec! Good question about the wrench flats:

After taking a closer look, I can't see an immediate or obvious use for them. Maybe someone can help enlighten us?
    I'm a little rusty on my injection molding, but maybe that's where the runners come in? I don't know why it would be on all four sides though.

I guess it's one of those great Grit Guard mysteries, like whether it works. (I think it works, some people are less convinced.)

Post Thanks / Like

Angus - excellent review. Do keep us posted after the first use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm a little rusty on my injection molding, but maybe that's where the runners come in? I don't know why it would be on all four sides though.
    I believe it is a level surface for the ejector pins to push against rather than have special higher maintenance slanted ejectors. The indentions look like ejector pin marks to me. I do not see any gates there but they could inject through center of pin...hard to tell without closeup.

Or it is there to hold while core slide is removed.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

So the mark further up is the runner location? Do you see ejector marks on both flats?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still up in the air if it is really necessary. I already own a few things that I really didn't need, I wonder if this is another one? The jury is still out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast