autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit Guard Washboard - Initial Impressions Review

Nice review Ian. Thanks for taking the time to add detailed pictures of the unit into to the review.

Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I'm still up in the air if it is really necessary. I already own a few things that I really didn't need, I wonder if this is another one? The jury is still out.
    Hopefully my follow up review after using the washboard will help answer that very question and if my $12 was well spent. Like you, I also have a bunch of things in-retrospect I probally didn't need...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Nice review Ian. Thanks for taking the time to add detailed pictures of the unit into to the review.

Keep us updated.
    Thank you good Sir!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Hopefully my follow up review after using the washboard will help answer that very question and if my $12 was well spent. Like you, I also have a bunch of things in-retrospect I probally didn't need...
    I have no doubt that this is going to be a great addition, I would have ordered a couple already if they came in all the colors. I was able to get a Dirt Dropper a couple of years ago when they were still available. It never caught on in my house. I remember thinking "why doesn't Grit Guard do something like this, but better?"

Oh wait, I think I know the answer to that, the Dirt Dropper says "Patent Pending" on it. I'm guessing they didn't get the patent or it's lapsed, allowing Grit Guard to proceed with theirs--that's presuming that the Washboard would have violated the patent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    I believe part of the delay with Grit Guard bring this to market was around issue of the Washboard separating while in use. From what I can tell, GG has overcome this by adding these small barbs to the legs you insert into the Washboard.

With all the above details combined, the Washboard feel very secure and not at all loose from the Grit Guard. I’ve read comments from early Washboard users complaining about pieces separating while in use and needing to use zip-ties to hold everything together. From everything I can tell, I would be very surprised if that happens now. But if it does I will be sure to share my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I was able to get a Dirt Dropper a couple of years ago when they were still available. It never caught on in my house. I remember thinking "why doesn't Grit Guard do something like this, but better?"
    I dragged out the Dirt Dropper today to remember why I didn't like it...well, it doesn't fit tightly in the bottom of the bucket, and they want you to bolt the vertical part to the side of the bucket. I don't know about you, but I don't like holes in my buckets, and don't we all take our Grit Guards out after a wash to clean the bottom of the bucket? I don't need to be unbolting anything, it takes me long enough already to get cleaned up.

So without the Dirt Dropper bolted into the bucket it simply moves around and the "washboard" component comes detached. I think Grit Guard is the winner here, and I'll be ordering my Washboards as soon as they come in the rest of the colors, unless Angus gives us an unexpected bad review.

Post Thanks / Like

Grit Guard is a gimmick anyway. It doesn't actually help and it is like 3 times overpriced. $5 tops for such a piece of plastic. Than maybe it will be worth the 7 dirt partials that would get "trapped". What gets me is that anyone in their right mind would pay $10 or more for such a thing. Nature included something when the cosmo's were created, and life started on planet earth. It is called Gravity. Dirt will naturally fall to the bottom of the bucket anyway, If you stick your hand into the ocean do a million dirt partials get stuck to your hand? the guard isn't going to stop it from coming back out if you are careless and allow the water to move violently enough for it do so. Otherwise it will just stay at the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    Grit Guard is a gimmick anyway. It doesn't actually help and it is like 3 times overpriced. $5 tops for such a piece of plastic. Than maybe it will be worth the 7 dirt partials that would get "trapped". What gets me is that anyone in their right mind would pay $10 or more for such a thing. Nature included something when the cosmo's were created, and life started on planet earth. It is called Gravity. Dirt will naturally fall to the bottom of the bucket anyway, If you stick your hand into the ocean do a million dirt partials get stuck to your hand? the guard isn't going to stop it from coming back out if you are careless and allow the water to move violently enough for it do so. Otherwise it will just stay at the bottom.
    So without a grit guard if I rinsed my wash mitt off in the bucket the dirt gets stirred up into the water?
    With GG it doesn't stir up as much?

Does it cost 10 bucks to make? No way but that's how businesses work. They have to make profit and it's worth what people will pay :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    Yeah, whatever. For me it falls in the category of "cheap insurance".

Post Thanks / Like

Srpurdy,

Have you used a GritGuard?

What is your current method for removing particulate from your wash mitt during your washing process?
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Angus!!!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    Srpurdy,

Have you used a GritGuard?

What is your current method for removing particulate from your wash mitt during your washing process?
    I wanted to, but not at a $10 + price tag. I wanted to at least try it. See if it's worth the hype. I don't really have a problem with cleaning out my mitt. It is not about the money pre-say. I've probably spent around $2000 on products in the last 6 months. $10 seems high for a simple piece of plastic. I could probably make my own for less.

I use typical 2 bucket method. I only put the mitt into the first top third of the water bucket, move it gently around to let the dirt fall out of the mitt. Than I ring out the mitt outside the bucket. It comes out clean everytime. I don't have a problem with dirt mixing around because I don't mix my dirty water bucket. If the bucket gets too soiled I will just replace the water / clean out the bucket. The reason I only use the top 1/3 of the bucket for cleaning the mitt out is because like I said above the dirt will fall down to the bottom anyway. So if I go lower down, then of course you can pick up dirt. But why would anyone do that?

I guess if you do hardcore mixing of the dirty water bucket. The Guard would help keep the dirt from moving around, but I don't really do that. So maybe that is why I don't think it would help me lol.

BTW Thanks Angus for the review.

Shawn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast