autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant

Very Interesting. The odor, I know is sort of chemical, but I never felt it was horrific or overwhelming at all. Only if I stuck my nose in the bottle.

But everyone has different sniffers. The smell has certainly never stayed at all for me.

The discoloring you are showing really does NOT match the results I consistently get out of my WCTS. I have used it on all of my 2001 Honda CRV SE's Dark Grey leather and vinyl, my brother's Black leather interior, and my Uncle's black leather, and have not experienced any sort of this discoloration.

When applying this product, a little goes a long way. I only spray a few sprays on a Foam Applicator pad then wipe on the repeat. It seems like there may have been an over use there.

Post Thanks / Like

I did follow the directions on the bottle and on the site but it is my first time to use it. I would say you were correct, that could have caused one of the scenarios I encountered. However I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why it would be so blotchy on the top and then turn the armrest grey. If it was over application you would think it would be somewhat consistent in what it did when I applied it or be the opposite, inconsistent everywhere, not a mixture of the two. Maybe two different grains of leather took the product differently?

Smell is subjective agreed, the smell was an issue for me because it killed the new car and leather smell I had going on prior to applying this product. Car hasn't smelled the same since. I think I will do some more vigourus cleaning to get the cockpit sealer off completely and see if it goes back to normal after its full removal.
    Car enthusiast, here to learn. 2015 Audi RS7.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to hearing what happens. I mean that would have been a "flag" for me too, if I saw that discoloration. I am hoping that you can remove that, and get it to even out.

I hope I didn't sound like you were wrong for stating the smell was horrific, because like you said, it is certainly subjective. There are Favored smells out there that many other guys like, that I don't like at all. I hope you get that Leather straightened out though Stoleit. And hopefully can find out was going on. I have not heard this from WCTS before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    I am looking forward to hearing what happens. I mean that would have been a "flag" for me too, if I saw that discoloration. I am hoping that you can remove that, and get it to even out.
    Same here.

StoleIt (lol, nice S/N), you sir are extremely calm. I would have been furious. Not AG's fault, of course, but furious nonetheless. I'm sure AG would get on it as soon as the staff sees this.

I wonder what happened.... Bad bottle? Worse still; bad badge? Because it would mean there are unsuspecting volatile samples floating around. I hope not.

Heat/temp exposure?

I had a gallon of D156 going south on me during the record freezing the county experienced not too long ago. Came from east coast & the temp definitely killed it. A total dud - like spraying skim milk & displayed the same "gloss" characteristic. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Oops! One thing I forgot to ask, is if you shook the bottle really good before using?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's get to the bottom of this.

1. Is the material you coated leather or alcantara?
    2. How many sprays of product for the trim on the door panel?
    3. Was any protectant previously applied by you, the dealer, previous owner, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Willow, yes I shook the bottle and followed the directions on the wolfgang site. Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant Best I can recall, only thing I did different is use a soft microfiber from autogeek to apply rather than a foam applicator.

Hi Nick,

To answer your questions
    1) Unknown. It's an Audi RS7 2015 model, not sure the exact leather they use?
    2) This was a close to two weeks ago, but best I can recall, I do not directly apply to the door panel, applied to a microfiber.
    3) No other protectants/sealers were applied to my knowledge. I did use Lexol leather conditioner throughout the car about a week prior. I've only had the car about 3 weeks, but it appeared to be clean of anything when I got it.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems strange. I have never experienced this with any interior product used properly. Nick, perhaps you can reach out to the Audi dealer in Stuart to figure out the material on the door panels as the OP does not really know.

Post Thanks / Like

So I did a second round of leather cleaner. Completely saturated the area and let it set for 2-3 minutes and then scrubbed, then a third scrub and it appears to be off! Pretty dark in the garage tonight and I cannot open the door more than half way to view it with the wife's car in (raining outside) but I think it's clean. Will know for sure tomorrow and will update you if it looks different in the sunlight, hopefully I'm done and no permanent issues will linger from here.

As for the smell of the cockpit sealer, I smelled it again to see if it really was that bad. It is, smells like very strong acetone is the closest thing I can describe it as. Not the nail polish stuff, the more industrial stuff. I cannot believe that would be correct, I doubt you guys would not notice such a smell?

At this point I would love to reapply and try again, but I'm not going to risk it, this is much too expensive of a car to risk a second round of this stuff.

Nick if you'd like to send a prepaid label I can send it in for you to analyze, and if you'd like to send me another bottle I will try it again unless this is really how this stuff is supposed to react to surfaces and how it's supposed to smell? Otherwise a refund would be much appreciated for my trouble. It's the 16oz version and I can provide and invoice # if you want it. I've bought about $500 worth of stuff from autogeek over the past month and so far this is the only big loser of the bunch.

I also have a couple spare bottles I can pour a sample in and mail out to a couple of you experts on here if you want to give it a whiff and compare it to the normal sealant? Nick if auto geek is up for it, just send me the labels and I will be happy to send out the samples to a few folks to compare to what normal cockpit sealant is like and post back. That way we can get multiple people to weigh in. I'd hate to be giving a product a bad wrap when it's just a bad bottle or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just wondering, if applying that conditioner just 1 week before the Trim Sealant had an effect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast