autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - NEW BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax!

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Nick, what is the difference between this and MSID? Is MSSW replacing MSID? I currently use MSID as a drying aide after a 2BM.
    When you say MSID, do you mean Midnight Sun Instant Detailer? If so, MSID is a quick detailer while MSSW is a spray wax. The MSID is designed to remove light dust and finger prints. It leaves some protection but not as much as MSSW. MSSW requires a clean surface and leaves behind good amounts of protection. Because it's a spray wax.

If you're using it as a drying aid, I would suggest you make the switch to MSSW. You're going to get better protection and probably better shine/gloss as well.

Hope this helps.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    When you say MSID, do you mean Midnight Sun Instant Detailer? If so, MSID is a quick detailer while MSSW is a spray wax. The MSID is designed to remove light dust and finger prints. It leaves some protection but not as much as MSSW. MSSW requires a clean surface and leaves behind good amounts of protection. Because it's a spray wax.

If you're using it as a drying aid, I would suggest you make the switch to MSSW. You're going to get better protection and probably better shine/gloss as well.

Hope this helps.
    Glad you were able to break down those acronyms. I was scratching my head.

Fantastic advice good sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Ordered both spray wax..will compare
    Pinnacle is NICE,and I don't even have the latest version. The Blackfire will be top-notch for sure though!

I ordered some WDPS a while back,but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I want to try this sometime also though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Hope this helps.
    Yes, that is what I was referring to. Thanks for the input. I have a half gallon of MSID, so it may be a while before I try out the new spray wax. Maybe I'll start giving away some MSID to my few customers to use after their washes.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to pick this up in the recent sale. Been looking for a good spray wax.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post

Seems similar to OCW...
    Very different in my opinion and I've used a lot of Optimum Car Wax. The new BLACKFIRE spray on wax is velvety smooth as you spread it out. Wipes off easy and streak free. What I like most... it leaves the paint a lot slicker and slipperier than OCW with excellent gloss and shine.

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post

I decided to pick this up in the recent sale. Been looking for a good spray wax.

Looking forward to your impressions from using this new product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, maybe it exists somewhere in the pages and pages of information on this site, but what would be helpful to me anyway, is a better understanding of what spray-type products can be used to maintain waxes, coatings and glazes (I think that covers it?).

More specifically on this product, what would AG recommend you use the spray wax maintenance-wise on and what would you *not* use it on.

With *so* many LSP's now on the market and the different flavors/compounds within those products, it is difficult to know what's best to maintain those coatings. Plus new maintenance products come out ALL the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this and cant wait to try it out this weekend!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lashedup View Post

Ok, maybe it exists somewhere in the pages and pages of information on this site, but what would be helpful to me anyway, is a better understanding of what spray-type products can be used to maintain waxes, coatings and glazes (I think that covers it?).

More specifically on this product, what would AG recommend you use the spray wax maintenance-wise on and what would you *not* use it on.
    I'll take a stab at this last question as I think it will answer how to maintain waxes and sealants. (most glazes are not really glazes but that's a whole other discussion).

A spray on wax is a BOOSTER wax for the normal coat of wax or synthetic sealant you already have on your truck.

Most spray on waxes are not really a functional replacement for a normal application of a normal liquid wax or sealant or paste wax or sealant.

Once you've taken the time and done the work to wash and wax your car a spray-on wax is used to maintain the results until the next time you want to repeat the washing and [normal] waxing step.

For example with my truck that I used in this article. The week before I machine waxed the paint using Pinnacle XMT 360 which is a ONE-STEP Cleaner/Wax. That is it cleans, polishes and leaves my truck's paint protected in one step.

IT looked great!

That said, one week later, it didn't have the same super high gloss look it had the moment I wiped off the Pinnacle XMT 360 because my truck is my daily driver. I drive it everywhere I go every day. It is parked outside at work, at the store and at home because it won't fit in a normal garage.

As such, the finish is attacked by everything in the air, things like dirt, dust pollution, industrial fallout, etc. When it rains, (and it rains a lot this time of year) the rain takes all the dirt in the air and carries it onto my truck's paint. The cars in front of me when I drive spray the dirty water off the road onto my truck's paint.

So a fresh wax job will protect for weeks and months but it won't look "fresh" after about a week if the vehicle is a daily driver.

Make sense?

So here's where a spray wax comes into play. It's FAST (at least for me), to walk around my truck, spray and spread the wax then buff off the residue to a high shine.

This new product is easy to apply, easy to spread, easy to wipe off streak-free AND leaves the paint looking great and felling slippery again.

Of course I used a waterless wash to remove the day-to-day dirt and grime off the paint before I sprayed on the wax but that's a normal protocol. I could have washed my truck too but I tend to use a waterless wash if it's not super dirty.

That's the big idea. A quality spray on wax is a way to,

1. Extend wax protection of the previous wax you applied plus add more wax protection.
    2. Restore that just waxed look.
    3. Restore that slippery feel that everyone loves.
    4. Do it fast.
    5. Make it easy.

A spray on wax isn't for everyone. I'd say it's for people that are already meticulous about their car's finish so the paint on their car is already and always in great shape to start with.

Most, if not all, spray on waxes are not for neglected paint. If a car has neglected paint it needs one of the below, not a spray on wax.

• Compound
    • Polish
    • Cleaner/Wax

With *so* many LSP's now on the market and the different flavors/compounds within those products, it is difficult to know what's best to maintain those coatings. Plus new maintenance products come out ALL the time.
    Coatings are a completely different animal than waxes and sealants. My answer above was for waxes and sealants.

The topic you bring up about coatings comes up fairly often and the nutshell version is this,

Sure you can use a spray on wax as well as spray detailers on coatings to clean them and maintain them.

That said, when you apply something that leaves itself behind on the surface like a spray on wax you just replaced the features and characteristics of the coating with the wax.

Most people use a coating to get the benefits and features of the coating. As such topping it with something negates these benefits and features.

Some coatings have their own companion products that offer a synergistic chemical compatibility with the coating. I'd recommend sticking with these companion products to maintain a coating.

For more info on coatings and the synergistic chemical compatibility of companion products check out my article below and the real world results on some amazing cars I've buffed out and coated and then maintained with the companion products.

Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you asked, as I was beginning to wonder the same thing.

Great explanation from Mike! I always try to check in on the reviews of various products. I really appreciate all the time & effort that goes into explaining the intricacies of detailing. I get frequent emails, but I haven't been very active on the forum. Once I get my Tahoe paint corrected, I hope to regularly share any of my experiences. I will for sure put this BF spray wax on my list!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast