Review: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS 15 & 21 - 1973 Camaro Z28- Paint Correction

New Tools from Griot's Garage!

I was recently give 3 brand new tools from Griot's Garage to test out and write a review for including the new GR3 Mini Rotary and the new BOSS 15 and 21 long stroke random orbital polishers.

No mock-up

I don't do mock-up very well. This means I need a real car with real defects to give these new tools a real test.

Something happened to the car?

When I say something happened? I mean something bad happened. Because SEMA show in Las Vegas was cancelled due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, we held a LIVE virtual SEMA here at Autogeek. For eye-candy in the background and for some product demonstrations, I asked the owner if we could borrow the car for about a week. The owner was kind and said no problem and dropped his incredibly cool Z28 off at Autogeek for Yancy, our SEMA guests and myself to use.

The car left with a show car finish

While the car left with a show car finish, upon inspecting the car after it arrived, and this would be approximately one month later after the 3-day detailing class, a walk-around the car using the Griot's Garage Swirl Finder Light revealed most of the car now had light swirls and scratches. There was also a bumpy feel to the paint, as though it had overspray? I know my class washed, clayed, did paint correction and then sealed the paint so I was surprised to see and feel how the paint had gone down hill in such a short span of time. I checked with the owner and asked him if anything had happened to the car and that's when he said besides driving it, (which I would do to), he took it in for some bodywork and paint at a collision shop. Now everything makes sense.

Before Pictures

So here's the condition of the paint before I tested out and used the new BOSS 15mm and 21mm long stroke orbital polishers.

Using the new Griot's tools

After photo-documenting the current condition of the paint on the Camaro it was time to get busy. I always like to get a few pictures of myself doing the work otherwise me telling you I used the tools is just words.

The NEW Griot's Garage BOSS 21 in action on the major body panels.

This is the Griot's BOSS Yellow Foam Perfecting Pad and I'm using the Griot's BOSS Finishing Sealant.

Griot's BOSS Finishing Sealant = Unique AIO

The BOSS Finishing Sealant as the 2 words in the name imply, has a blend of both Griot's proprietary abrasive technology and sealant technology making it an AIO or All-in-One.

In other words, it has the ability to remove swirls and scratches while at the same time leaving the paint sealed with synthetic protection.

The new BOSS 21 has a TON of power.

The new BOSS 21 had no problems tackling the rounded body panels.

Here's the NEW Griot's Garage BOSS 15 i action tackling the insets on the top of the hood.

For the BOSS 15 I'm using the same pad and product as I used with the BOSS 21 only I'm using the smaller 5.5" yellow foam perfecting pad as it's the correct size for the 5" backing plate on the BOSS 15.

The smaller diameter pad was a perfect match for getting down into this inset area...

I preach and teach and practice myself to always machine polish the glass and britework when detailing a car.

Here's the entire car machine corrected and sealed using the Griot's BOSS Finishing Sealant.

Wipe off

This product when allowed to dry wipes off super easy. Products like this enable you to buff out the entire car before wiping the product off.

This helps because the residue acts as a visual indicator showing you areas you have already buffed and areas that still need attention.

Besides easy wipe-off, the BOSS Finishing Sealant leaves the paint looking super glossy as well as slick and slippery.