autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel1979 View Post

Anyone compared these against megs and bns mg pads? One pro detailer that i know said that megs cuts better and that these delaminate easily.

Lots of variables for this type of thing... which Meguiar's microfiber cutting pad, the xtra cut or the normal mf cutting pad?

Delamination usually comes from exposure to heat over time. All pads can suffer delamination especially when the user is punishing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Regular mf cutting pads. Rupes mf pads wont delaminate and bns mf pads with center hole. Even the meguiars holds up pretty well after i made center hole to em.

Mike Phillips

Regular mf cutting pads. Rupes mf pads wont delaminate and bns mf pads with center hole. Even the meguiars holds up pretty well after i made center hole to em.

I would agree that the hole in the center of a pad does reduce heat transfer from the center of the spindle/backing plate to the pad itself so it's a great design improvement from where were came from in pad history.

I just happen to have an article on this topic and I just happen to have a number of antique foam buffing pads in my collection.

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

I'll be talking to Dave Patterson this week or next week, I'll send him the link to this thread and point out the comments you made about what your pro detailer buddy said about the LC pads delaminating.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article

Ok, thats cool. I am pretty sure that adding center hole to those new lc mf pads would solve all the problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be testing out these new LC MF Cutting pads this week on a detail I have scheduled.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Are you comparing them against othet mf pads? It would be awesome to see test roundup with these new mf pads. Lc, bns, Griots Boss, Americana Global etc.

I did Megs, Rupes and BnS test. They all were quite equal, but BnS and Rupes left mosre micromarring and Rupes is pita to add compound. Cutting power was pretty much equal.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested the cutting pads on a very scratched up Nissan and got awesome results. No problems with de-lamination, cleaned on the fly with air and a brush.

Here's a test pass with HD Speed down the middle of a badly scratched section of the hood. Click on the image to make it larger.

Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!-img_0122-jpg

And a shot of the finished hood.

Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!-img_0126-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the white MR Cut pads tonight and don't care for them for my use/needs. I do use a Flex 3401 and have made it a point to run Griot's black MF thin pads and am fine with them. As Mike notes, they will tend to get "grabby" but after many many uses of them, I've found it's after 2 panels or one large roof area. IMO that's an indicator the pad needs changed and that works for me as I swap pads after 2 panels.

What I found with these LC White pads is they also become quite grabby but they don't fluff up with a simple brush thus you must need to use a compressor which doesn't fit in with my workflow as I don't always have one available. They ended up flattening out and caking up spitting out dried compound. With the Griot's I simply use an old toothbrush and they are good to go. When they tighten up in the center and don't fluff they get grabby and need to be swapped.

Here's what each looked like. I did the hood of an Mitsu. Evolution with the LC Pad and then the entire roof with a single Griots.

Overall, to each their own and live and learn. Next time I'll just buy 1-2 vs 6. Perhaps I'll sell them to my nieghbor who uses a non-forced rotation unit. I'll never go back from the 3401 unit. Especially for cars like this Evo that just about every side panel has curves and uneven surfaces that would slow/stall traditional units.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Fibers on those LC ones looks much like Megs fibers and Griots fibers looks much like Buff and Shine fibers. I have noticed that bns are easier to clean than Megs but they do leave more marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned.

The LC FB page posted a pic of some new pads for the new HDO line - with a microfiber option.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast