autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review and How-to: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Review and How-to: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Dried wax on plastic trim is not only unsightly, it's also almost impossible to remove. That is until now! McKee's 37 Wax Remover for plastic makes removing dried wax residue off plastic trim quick and easy. It is the first dried wax remover that has ever impressed me.

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

You need this product in your detailing arsenal. Whether you only detail your own cars or you detail cars as a business, you know how frustrating it is to remove dried wax, compound or polish residue off of plastic, vinyl and rubber trim. It's a real pain!

And it's so easy to accidentally get wax, compound or polish residue onto plastic, rubber and vinyl trim surfaces. What takes only a few seconds to do can take hours to remove and then you never really get 100% of the residue off leaving a white stain that bothers you every time you look at your car.

I've tried all types of chemicals to make removing dried wax easy and I've never found a single product that actually worked. New McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic not only works but works fast and makes removing the ugly dried wax residue easy. Now days, when I see plastic, rubber or vinyl trip with ugly white wax stains, I reach for McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic and make quick work of removing the dried wax.

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic - What is it?
    This product is specifically formulated to safely remove dried wax, compound or polish residue off of plastic, rubber and vinyl trim surfaces. It works fast by dissolving the offending residues without harming the surface itself. Other products kind of work, that is other products help to remove residues but nothing I've ever tried has actually impressed me. McKee's 37 Wax Remover is a powerful but safe cleaner formulated specifically for old dried wax, compound and polish residues.

The first time I used this I knew it was a home run product simply because it worked and worked well. Dried wax that's impacted onto and even into trim components has to be one of the most difficult things to remove. Not so with McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic. This product goes to work dissolving old wax, compound and polish residue to you can wipe it off. Really stubborn or old wax stain will require scrubbing with a stiff nylon brush or scrubbing with a microfiber or terrycloth towel, that's to be expected. The good news is though that even aged stains can be removed using McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic. Just spray it on, scrub and rub the area and then wipe the residue off to reveal clean trim again.

Mike's tip
    Before washing your car, first inspect it for dried wax residue stains. If you find them, go ahead and remove them before you wash the vehicle. This way you'll remove the white wax stains and also wash and flush off any wax remover when you wash your car.

How To Directions

Step 1: Shake product well before use.

Step 2: Work on a cool, clean surface in the shade.

Step 3: Spray McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic onto the affected area. Allow to penetrate for about 30 seconds.

Step 4: Agitate with a nylon brush or a microfiber or cotton terrycloth towel.

Step 5: Wipe the residues off the surface.

Step 6: Seal and protect the surface using McKee's 37 Trim Detailer.

Examples of McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic in action!

Here's the corner bracket of a roof rack with dried wax on it that has been baking in the South Florida sun for years!

Step 1: Spray McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic on to dried wax residue.

Step 2: Agitate the wax remover using a stiff bristled nylon brush.

Step 3: Wipe off residue with clean, microfiber towel.

Voilŕ

The dried wax is gone and the factory appearance restored. Next apply your favorite plastic trim dressing or sealant to protect the plastic surface into the future.

Here's some wax that has dried on the rubber gasket surrounding the windshield...

Spray on a little McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic onto the affected area and scrub with a nylon brush.

The dried wax residue is removed and the rubber is clean and new looking and perfect for the application of McKee's 37 Trim Detailer

Pebble textured plastic door handle with wax stains...

Pebble textured plastic is probably the hardest type of plastic to remove wax stains off of because the wax impacts into the pebble textured surface. If you've ever tried to remove dried wax out of pebble textured plastic you know from experience it's pretty much impossible to remove the stain 100%. Now with McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic you can remove the residues and remove the UGLY white stains that seem to stand out and distract from the car's natural beauty.

Spray on some McKee's Wax Remover for Plastic

Scrub with a nylon brush...

Wipe off the dissolved wax residue and this plastic trim is ready for McKee's 37 Trim Detailer to maintain that factory fresh black appearance

On Autogeek.com

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic - 8 ounce pump bottle

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic - 16 ounce spray bottle

Detailing Brush Kit

Microfiber Applicator pads - 6 Pack

Blue Universal Microfiber Towels

Mike Phillips

Re: Review and How-to: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

***Bump***

This product works GREAT!

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity...since this is a spray....would it have any impact (from overspray) on the LSP on the nearby painted surfaces?

Post Thanks / Like

This would have come in very handy when doing a Nissan Murrano a few weeks ago. Whoever attempted to wax the vehicle got wax all over the rubber trim around the outside of the windows. It was a bear to remove, I used Megs D114 (leaves nothing behind), but even still it was difficult.

This will have to get added to the supply list.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

Just out of curiosity...since this is a spray....would it have any impact (from overspray) on the LSP on the nearby painted surfaces?
    Yes. It will have an impact but how much depends on how much overspray you get on the surface and I guess how HARD you wipe the overspray off.

I included a technique tip above and that is if you're working on a car that has dried wax, compound or polish spatter on plastic, rubber or vinyl trim, the tip was to use this product BEFORE washing the car. This way instead of wiping off overspray you will wash off the overspray when you wash the car.

As for will this product remove a coat of wax or synthetic paint sealant, let's put this question in extremes, one of my favorite ways of using a question as a teaching moment.

Question: Will the overspray from McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic ADD more protection to a painted surface?

Answer: No. What's the opposite meaning of the word ADD?

So if you're working on you own car or a customer's car that has wax, compound or polish splatter stains on a plastic, rubber or vinyl surface, and you've made the decision it's important enough for you to remove these stains, then knowing that removing the product stains may also remove a tiny little bit of wax off of surrounding areas that you get overspray onto, then you should also consider starting this project when it's time to re-wax or re-seal the paint.

Of course you can simply use this product, wipe off the treated surface and any overspray on surrounding areas and then return to your normal life. Your car's paint won't fail the next day because a microscopic portion of the previously applied wax or paint sealant was removed from probably a very small area.

Keep things in context and don't take something that is very simple and make it overly complicated. Which is the norm for the forum and facebook world.

Great quesion... thank you for asking it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post

This would have come in very handy when doing a Nissan Murrano a few weeks ago.

Whoever attempted to wax the vehicle got wax all over the rubber trim around the outside of the windows. It was a bear to remove, I used Megs D114 (leaves nothing behind), but even still it was difficult.

This will have to get added to the supply list.

This product really works great.

The pictures I used above were taken at the same time I was teaching a class with 20 people in it. If I would have JUST had the Ford Explorer, a camera, the products and me I could have captured more and better pictures of this product in action.

Pictures: 1993 Ford Explorer Extreme Makeover

BEFORE

AFTER!

It's a tough balancing act to do two things at the same time, capture pictures for a product review while teach about a dozen NEW people to our garage how to move from working by hand to how to machine polish.

I'm currently looking for more wax stained plastic to continue to captures and demonstrate just how well this product works.

I've been detailing cars as long as most people on the forum, in some cases longer and I've tried all kinds of chemicals and solvents with LOTS of hard scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing to try to remove wax stains and I've never used a product that worked as well as this product.

For what it's worth...

Post Thanks / Like

Could this product be use in place of an APC prior to using a trim coating?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Could this product be use in place of an APC prior to using a trim coating?

Yes.

Great question, thank you for asking it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'm currently looking for more wax stained plastic to continue to captures and demonstrate just how well this product works.
    I need to re-prep and restore some trim on a Chevy Avalanche in a month or so I guess I could take on the burden of showcasing it for you. You know, just to lift that weight from your shoulders:P hahaha

Great review by the way, your articles are always very well articulated and very informative!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes. It will have an impact but how much depends on how much overspray you get on the surface and I guess how HARD you wipe the overspray off.

I included a technique tip above and that is if you're working on a car that has dried wax, compound or polish spatter on plastic, rubber or vinyl trim, the tip was to use this product BEFORE washing the car. This way instead of wiping off overspray you will wash off the overspray when you wash the car.

As for will this product remove a coat of wax or synthetic paint sealant, let's put this question in extremes, one of my favorite ways of using a question as a teaching moment.

Question: Will the overspray from McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic ADD more protection to a painted surface?

Answer: No. What's the opposite meaning of the word ADD?

So if you're working on you own car or a customer's car that has wax, compound or polish splatter stains on a plastic, rubber or vinyl surface, and you've made the decision it's important enough for you to remove these stains, then knowing that removing the product stains may also remove a tiny little bit of wax off of surrounding areas that you get overspray onto, then you should also consider starting this project when it's time to re-wax or re-seal the paint.

Of course you can simply use this product, wipe off the treated surface and any overspray on surrounding areas and then return to your normal life. Your car's paint won't fail the next day because a microscopic portion of the previously applied wax or paint sealant was removed from probably a very small area.

Keep things in context and don't take something that is very simple and make it overly complicated. Which is the norm for the forum and facebook world.

Great quesion... thank you for asking it.

I'd imagine a possible work-around would be to liberally spray the Wax Remover onto the brush, then work the brush into the problem area. It may take a couple passes, but it might solve the "overspray" problem some might have on a freshly waxed vehicle.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast