autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very Comprehensive Compound Chart

Where does Meg's Ultimate Compound fit on the Meg chart? I know they do not give the consumer line ratings.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Where does Meg's Ultimate Compound fit on the Meg chart? I know they do not give the consumer line ratings.

For as long as I can remember people are always asking for charts with all the Meguiar's products listed in order of their aggressiveness and Meguiar's has never officially created a list like this because there are just too many variables involved.

That said, I've done my best to list the Pro and Consumer line abrasive products into a general order and have sent it to Meguiar’s for their input. As soon as I hear back from them we'll update the chart.

In the big picture, really it's about what you're working on in your garage and what you already have in your arsenal to tackle the defects you're trying to remove. If a person doesn't know what to use or what to buy then this forum acts a place to get help by posting a question listing what you're working on and what you already have and if you need something different then myself or someone else will be more than willing to make a product recommendation based on the above specifics.

So hang tight and we'll update it as soon as we can. Of the top of my head I remember placing Ultimate Compound as less aggressive than M105. It's hard to just type it's as aggressive as M85 and M84 because they are completely different products both in the type of abrasives used in the formulas and their recommended method of application. This is why it's hard to make an ordered list because it's not comparing apples to apples, it's comparing apples to oranges.

Post Thanks / Like

My question came about thinking that M105 is a big jump from M205 so using the least aggressive method as possible what would be the next logical jump?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

My question came about thinking that M105 is a big jump from M205 so using the least aggressive method as possible what would be the next logical jump?
    With SMAT Technology if you only need or want a little cut then you would only work the M105 till the defects are gone then stop working it, thus afterwards you can go straight to M205.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    With SMAT Technology if you only need or want a little cut then you would only work the M105 till the defects are gone then stop working it, thus afterwards you can go straight to M205.

Can you dilute it somehow like another polish for lubrication to get the same effect. I have seen people put small beads on one aggressive and another one just for lubrication to add to working time?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Can you dilute it somehow like another polish for lubrication to get the same effect. I have seen people put small beads on one aggressive and another one just for lubrication to add to working time?
    There's a forum group on MOL called Hot Topics, which was a place I would move threads with topics that were common, popular or frequently brought up, or create articles that fell into this category and such was the case for your question. In the very near future you will see a *NEW* Hot Topics forum group here on AGO.

I'm in the process of re-writing all or most of my articles on MOL to become new articles on AGO and this is very time consuming so everyone has to be patient.

That said, the article says that Meguiar's doesn't recommend diluting products like M105 but if a person feels the need then they recommend using M34 which is a body shop safe quick detailer and is the least likely to affect the intended performance of M105.

After detailing one car so far here in Florida I can see why some people may want to do this to increase the play time or buffing cycle of a product as it's hot and humid here, at least at the time I'm writing this. (August 17th, 2009)

How's that?

Post Thanks / Like

Great Chart!

But I think the 3M line is not complete, where would Ultrafine Polish fit in? How about the Machine Polish?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the chart!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Ive spent weeks trying to figure out these products! This is great! THANK YOU!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is great. Thanks! It helped me see what I am missing in the line up. I have been using Ultimate Compound which I am just assuming is an 8-9 and finishing with #80 Speed Glaze which is a 4. I could probably use a finishing polish, but having light silver metallic paint not sure if it's a wasted effort.

Can someone put the pad chart link here?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast