autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars DA Power System

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    The Griots DA would be the way to go -- great power, lifetime warranty--but if you're really trying to save a few bucks the HF is not a bad alternative. I think it's going to be on sale soon and with a 20% coupon you could get it for about $45. But you'll need to replace the backing plate with a quality 5" and get some quality flat pads like LC or Buff & Shine. (Even with the GG you'll need to spend a few bucks on a 5" backing plate as it comes with a 6" BP)

Then in the future if you really like machine polishing or just want a more poweful machine you can always use the HF with a 3 or 3.5" backing plate for the tight areas so it won't go to waste.
    Just curious. Why use ONLY the flat pads?? I've found they build up heat a lot faster than using the newer versions of pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight was mentioned. Just my .02 but as somebody else said, don't waste your money. I've bought large and small, electric and air buffing machines from this company and I really kicked myself for doing so. I finally trashed all of them and spent a little more money and bought the PC, Flex and others and have not regretted it since. As the 'ol saying goes: "Sometimes the cheapest way to go can be the most expensive."

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked this question to a group on Facebook few days ago. Someone said a orbital sander with a polishing pad will work well. Any one else try this or even heard of trying this. Or has anyone tried the Ryobi Polisher you can get from Home Depot. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slidder View Post
    Harbor Freight was mentioned. Just my .02 but as somebody else said, don't waste your money. I've bought large and small, electric and air buffing machines from this company and I really kicked myself for doing so. I finally trashed all of them and spent a little more money and bought the PC, Flex and others and have not regretted it since. As the 'ol saying goes: "Sometimes the cheapest way to go can be the most expensive."
    It seems the HF DA is better than most of their tools. A number of Pros use them day in and out and are happy with their performance and durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slidder View Post
    Just curious. Why use ONLY the flat pads?? I've found they build up heat a lot faster than using the newer versions of pads.
    I find the pads with dimples or grooves are more difficult to clean on the fly and product and removed paint can build up in the grooves/dimples and cause marring as you are polishing. Seems most pros use flat pads--more foam in contact with the paint.

Heat shouldn't be a problem if your using enough pads per step ie 4-6 for compounding, 4 for polishing. And you can rotate pads to allow them to cool down.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has one anyone ever used this kit?

CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also was thinking about using a Harbor Freight polisher with a Lake Country Backing Plate and Pads. Thoughts on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texasman View Post
    Also was thinking about using a Harbor Freight polisher with a Lake Country Backing Plate and Pads. Thoughts on that?

This is what I did. I've been having it a little over a year. I polished 4 cars and waxed/sealed them at least 10 times between all 4 and it works great. No problems at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12