autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready to buy first DA - help!

I think the added power of the Griot's would be nice. The price point is nicer too. I have been reading a few Griots vs. Meguiars MT300 threads here and on other sites and the majority of people seem to prefer the Griots.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take a GG over a Meguiars polisher any day. What I don't understand is why you want a DA if you are not gonna do any paint correction? Applying waxes and sealants can be done by hand just as well as by machine.

Having larger pads won't save you any time even if the truck is big. The sweet spot of pads on a DA is 5.5 inches. If you are only gonna use them to apply waxes, your 4 inch pads will work very well. No need to purchase larger pads for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I wasn't sure if having the DA was useful for applying the cleansing lotion. It is a brand new truck so there is no reason for this thing to have horrendous swirls, scratches, etc - at least at this point in its life. I figured having the DA would be nice for down the road when the vehicle gets some wear and tear.

If you think I should be applying the cleansing lotion and the Collinite by hand then by all means I will go ahead and do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    The Meguiars looks like it isn't nearly as powerful though? Those pads are about double the cost as well. I have a big truck and will probably need at least 6 of whatever color I am using (at least I think).

I also already have 4 white and 4 red CCS pads that I could use with the LC backing plate and a Griots.

You can use other pads on Mequiars backing plate. FYI If you interested PM me I am going to sell my MT 300 with 3" 5" flexible backing plates and some B/S pads. I ordered Flex on recent sale. I am going to put it up for sale on Corvette forum when my flex comes in...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    The Meguiars looks like it isn't nearly as powerful though? Those pads are about double the cost as well. I have a big truck and will probably need at least 6 of whatever color I am using (at least I think).

I also already have 4 white and 4 red CCS pads that I could use with the LC backing plate and a Griots.

I tested the Meguiars at detail fest and I do not understand where someone would say it isnt powerful enough. If you are stopping this machine from spinning, you are doing it very wrong!! It has what they call digital torque management, which keeps it spinning. People who think they need the power of the Griots probably do not have very good technique.

I have never used a griots, but I have a PC7424XP and the Meguiars is a lot smoother, and a little lighter. And people say the PC is smoother than the Griots.

Using a machine for applying paint cleanser, or wax is better. Especially if you have a big truck! And once you have a machine, you can do so much more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I tested the Meguiars at detail fest and I do not understand where someone would say it isnt powerful enough. If you are stopping this machine from spinning, you are doing it very wrong!! It has what they call digital torque management, which keeps it spinning. People who think they need the power of the Griots probably do not have very good technique.

I have never used a griots, but I have a PC7424XP and the Meguiars is a lot smoother, and a little lighter. And people say the PC is smoother than the Griots.

Using a machine for applying paint cleanser, or wax is better. Especially if you have a big truck! And once you have a machine, you can do so much more.
    Interesting. Well here is the deal. I "could" buy the Meguiar's on my budget, but I would be limited to buying just a few pads. If I buy the Griot's I could buy PLENTY of pads, which in my book is a big plus.

If the Meguiar's is really that much better I can certainly go that route, but I don't know if that is the case.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as pads go I am planning on getting these guys:

LC 5 1/2" Flat - What colors?
    LC 3 1/2" Flat - What colors?

What colors would be best for my paint (excellent condition) - I am thinking white and blue? Specifically what would go best with the Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and the Collinite 845.

Post Thanks / Like

My only comment is I love my Griots 6. I have 6", 5" & 3" plates for 6 1/2" , 5 1/2" & 4" pads respectively. The machine is powerful and easy to use. Orange, white and blue is all you need as far as pads for. I love the flats. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Souldetailer View Post
    My only comment is I love my Griots 6. I have 6", 5" & 3" plates for 6 1/2" , 5 1/2" & 4" pads respectively. The machine is powerful and easy to use. Orange, white and blue is all you need as far as pads for. I love the flats. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darin
    Great! That is all I needed to know!

Post Thanks / Like

with the plethora of different pads, backing plates and polishes/compounds out today (many of which that can be found here on AG), the GG6 can accomplish quite a bit and can achieve what other polishers can do even though it may take a little more time in some cases. it has lots of torque/power, and lifetime warranty. for someone who takes great care of their cars (and family) and may only need to use it a few times a year, this is another good reason on purchasing it as well. you'll have peace of mind knowing that if a problem arises later down the road, that GG will take care of it...
    i am the jump starter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast