autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

GG 6" ROP 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen

Hey guys I've got a 1st Gen GG 6" ROP and I've loved it's performance and how easy it was for me to start into detailing with. my question is is the 3rd Gen overall that much better of a polisher and can u tell me if they've done away with that proprietary backing plate that was on the 1st Gen? I'd love to buy another but if I can't swap out the backing plates and it doesn't have any more power then I may just think about getting something like a flex 3401
    Thanks for any input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" ROP 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen

Sorry for the typo in the title i meant to say 3rd Gen

Post Thanks / Like

the GG6 1st gen had a fixed backing plate IIRC and didn't even come close in power to the 2nd and current 3rd gen. with the 2nd and 3rd gen they did away with the fixed backing plate and you can remove it and use the diffferent DA backing plates (3", 3.5", 5", 6") offered that you would normally use with the PC/XP, G110v2, HF DA, etc, etc. go for it, you won't be disappointed...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent thanks for that no matter how much I looked at product descriptions none of them told me if I could interchange the backing plates, that fixed plate on my first Gen drove me up a wall since I was locked into a 6 inch pad which obviously made things messy in tight spots lol, again thanks for the info exactly what I wanted to hear!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LP14SS View Post
    Excellent thanks for that no matter how much I looked at product descriptions none of them told me if I could interchange the backing plates, that fixed plate on my first Gen drove me up a wall since I was locked into a 6 inch pad which obviously made things messy in tight spots lol, again thanks for the info exactly what I wanted to hear!
    no problem, and you will notice the power/torque (can't beat warranty as well) it has. every detailer/enthusiast should own one...

btw, I noticed you were from buffalo, NY. one of my all-time favorite bands is from there, I love Snapcase!

Post Thanks / Like

Just put in my order for a new one! Wooooo!
    Haha excellent man, snapcase is AWESOME!

Mike Phillips

I have a first generation GG polisher.

The holes in this backing plate were touted to help with keeping the polishing process cool but actually they are for sawdust extraction.

These were wood sanders made for spinning a THIN sanding disc.

They do not have enough power to rotate a foam buffing pad for removing swirls.

Get the newest version if you want the Griot's brand.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I figured the holes were about I work for a pneumatic abrasive company and our tools have the same feature tauting the same effect/benefit. It's nice to have the reassure from you too Mike that the tool lacks in the power dept. Because for the longest time I wanted to say that's what it was but wasn't sure if it was inexperience of using the tool also, so that's what I chalked it up as just inexperience! I did end up purchasing a new one and just received it in the mail yesterday and the build quality alone seems to be a step up I'm excited to test it out this weekend!