autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Surgery on my 3" Griots.

Having bought this new Griots from a private ebay seller, I had no idea what sort of warrantee I had through Griots Garage, but wanted to correct an issue it seemed to have.

This was a supposed brand new Polisher, and looked to be when I received it. I only ever used it twice. And on the second useage noticed lots of an oil like substance coming out of the Vents, and as well it seemed more noisey than I remembered it first being.

It also seemed like it wasn't doing much in the way of correcting (rotating) when I last used it, so I placed it on the side, mulled a bit over what I would-could do?

Well today I decided to open up the Polisher. First what I found was a whole lot of Translucent White Grease on both Housing halves, but essentially the ring-pinion gears were bone dry. It probably gets slung out of the way after a period of time with use, and heat.

I first removed all this factory grease, which amounted to a good TBSP worth. Quite a bit, but not being on the gears was probably causing slightly higher noise, and wasn't doing much to protect the gears against wear.

I then had a Tube of full Synthetic Super Lube Grease with Teflon, applied a nice coating to both gears, and a ultra small drop of Gun Oil with a Styringe on all Motor Shaft Bearings.

But then I seen it, a little piece of a part lying in one of the housing halves. What is this I first wondered? My guess was right, and upon further inspection found it to be one 1/2 of one of the Motor Brushes. Upon further inspection of the other Brush, it too was broken clean in half but hadn't fallen out. Odd that both brushes broken in 1/2 with so little use I thought? Probably not an hour's total useage run time.

Having the little spare Brush Kit with the Polisher, I said lets see if I can change them out, but was having a hard time figuring out how they came out of their little Plastic Holder Mounts?

Then, through some bit of searching, luckily found this youtube Vid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv4aKhacJVE]How to: Changing The Brushes On The Random Orbital - YouTube[/video]

Well, that was a big "aha"! moment, and was able to then easily change both brushes.
    The little black plastic brush holder blocks wanted to continue to pop out-lift out upon re-assembly, thus complicating re-assembly, so I simply cut two small strips of Electrical Tape to secure them into place. That seemed to work.

All seems well now, the machine seems to run quieter like it did when I first got it, and hopefully the new brush set holds up for awhile.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surgery on my 3" Griots.

Good deal there
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet deal, though I hope your Groits Garage 3in pulls through recovery just fine

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot adding, after replacement of brushes-reassembly, I ran the polisher on speed 1 and 2 for a few minutes first. Figured it might help gentler break in of the new brushes.

Thought maybe my post, and the vid I found might help others.

One question I wonder about, can one get another set of Replacement Brushes from Griots if desired?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Forgot adding, after replacement of brushes-reassembly, I ran the polisher on speed 1 and 2 for a few minutes first. Figured it might help gentler break in of the new brushes.

Thought maybe my post, and the vid I found might help others.

One question I wonder about, can one get another set of Replacement Brushes from Griots if desired?
    I do have an answer to my last question, as I emailed Griots Garage after my last post here.

They got back in a timely fashion and said, no, they do not carry parts like replacement Brushes for their Polishers, and due to the fact that all their Polishers have a lifetime guarantee, if there's a problem with a polisher it will be replaced free of charge.

Post Thanks / Like

I returned my 3" GG polisher because it had very little power left. They sent me a new 3" machine and an extra set of brushes. This was last year. I used it yesterday in a small area on a full polish and noticed it was slowing down again. I'm going to install the brushes and get back to work. GG has great customer service.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.