autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

keep pads in baggies?

Upon finally ordering my pc, I set out to research as much as I could. I came across various sites that suggest instead of cleaning pads, take the cake of it off, but don't bother washing/cleanign them and simply keep them in baggies for later use. Thsi makes sense (since I'll only have one compund and one polish!) if you will only be using the same product on those pads. How long will they last this way, any speacial measures to take?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have loads upon loads of pads, one per product, and I still wash and dry each after use They are always stored in bags in the drawers of my carts when not in use. Absolutely no ill effects from doing this, just dry them with low-medium heat in the dryer or in direct sunlight to not disturb the glue on the backing.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterguitar
    Upon finally ordering my pc, I set out to research as much as I could. I came across various sites that suggest instead of cleaning pads, take the cake of it off, but don't bother washing/cleaning them and simply keep them in baggies for later use. This makes sense (since I'll only have one compound and one polish!) if you will only be using the same product on those pads. How long will they last this way, any speacial measures to take?
    Inrteresting.........I'd be afraid of crust or whatever on the pad if left un-washed.........Then maybe transferred to the paint surface, just my 2 cents

Don't think they'd last very long........

Post Thanks / Like
    Stored a few of my pads in separate bags after washing and air drying, only to later learn that apparently not all the moisture was out of the pads. Molded and mildewed.

Now, after washing I shake out excess water, hang in the laundry room for gods-only-knows-how-long (well, actually she does know and reminds me all the time). Ultimately I end up just throwing them in a draw in my workbench. No more baggies for my pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I am done with my pads...I spray some XMT pad cleaner on them..let them sit a bit...while sitting I mix up some Murphy's Soap in a bucket...I put the pads in the bucket to soak some...squeezing them to release the product in the pad..not hard or a wringing motion..just a squeeze...

After soaking I squeeze out again..take them outside and put on a rack I made..I hose them off..squeezeing also to make sure product is out and getting excess water out also....I set them on a cotton towel velcro part up on the rack outside in the sun...the towel wicks out the moisture...they dry fast...

after they are completely dried I put them in a tote on edge...no bags...as I did get the mold once from bags..
    my pads are 3 years old...just show wear..no velcro problems

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    dry polish is almost like cement, even when applying or dampening the pad, how are you sure some particles wont stay hardened. I will wash, and bag to avoid dust/dirt between use.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it ok to keep ones you've never used yet in a bag?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would presume so, since this is the way most pads are distributed new. They are obviously dry so should not suffer from mold or mildew. Who knows how long they have been in bags in storage before you took delivery of them.

I always leave my new pads sealed in their bags until first use, following which I use XMT pad cleaner, wash in lukewarm running water, air dry on a paper towel, then store on edge in a plastic tote.