autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

Hi everyone, I hope I posted this in the right place, as I am still learning here on AG. I regularly read posts and techniques and enjoy learning about how everyone has a different way to do it. Anyways to my question that I need help with. Back in December (2013), I got a GG da polisher for Christmas. I absolutely love it and look forward to using it on my car every weekend when I wash my car. About a month ago I bought a 79 trans am as a project car. Well the paint has lots of flaws, but that's okay because it is good to practice on till I get it painted this winter. The car is red and I can see tons of, "spider web" scratches in the paint. From a distance it looks good, but up close you can see them, and they are driving me crazy. I honestly have no idea how to get them out. I have lake country pads, the orange, white, and blue. Same package you can get through auto geek. I also have swirl remover 2.0, M205, fine cut cleaner, and M105. I also have 3m rubbing and polishing compound. I have tried all the products on the Orange pad, going slow, letting the buffer move itself along at a slow pace, with a bit of pressure. But I can't get rid of the scratches. I'm really confused and a bit lost on what I am doing wrong, as it has to be me being a noob and all. If I haven't confused anyone through my randomness I would love some help on figuring out what to do and would really appreciate it too. Once I figure out what is wrong I'm going to try and get some spider web scratches out of my other black car. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    -Brant

Sent from my VS980 4G using AG Online

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it factory paint or if not is it base clear or single stage. (If not sure, did the pad turn the color of the car while polishing?)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

evob:
    In adddition to what Kingston asked:
    - What speed are you using? Try the highest speed setting
    - Did you put a tic mark on the backing plate so you know it is still rotating at a decent speed while compounding? (when i first started, i wasnt holding the pad flat enough, and it would cause the pad to stop rotating (but it still felt like it was).
    - Make sure you arent using too much/too little product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we see pictures of the defects?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 Pictures Required

Post Thanks / Like

One suggestion...you don't need to use it every weekend on your car.

That aside, the others on here have good questions that will help us help you.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and being interested in helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
    Is it factory paint or if not is it base clear or single stage. (If not sure, did the pad turn the color of the car while polishing?)
    On my red car, it is a newer paint job. The guy I bought it from said the paint was about a year old, but it was a cheap paint job, which you can tell because they didn't sand well at all. The black car is factory paint. I believe the black car is clear coat, and I am not sure on the red car. The pad did turn black when I used it on the red car, but I figured it was from the all the dirt in the paint, and oxidation, or something along those lines??

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    evob:
    In adddition to what Kingston asked:
    - What speed are you using? Try the highest speed setting
    - Did you put a tic mark on the backing plate so you know it is still rotating at a decent speed while compounding? (when i first started, i wasnt holding the pad flat enough, and it would cause the pad to stop rotating (but it still felt like it was).
    - Make sure you arent using too much/too little product.
    Well as I have learned from reading much on AG, speed 5 and 6 are for buffing and correction, so I have been using 6 until the buffer gets hot. I did put a tick mark on the backing pad, I learned from one of Mike's great posts the does and don'ts and that was something I made sure to do. I think I am holding the pad flat but it is hard to tell sometimes haha. I actually had read something Mike posted about too much and too little on the pad just before I created this post, and was going to hunt around and see if anyone has made posts about what is to much or too little. I normally get the pad ready by doing a spiral pattern on the pad, the, smear it into the pad with my finger, and do a pass, then just do three pea sized drops for the rest of the car. Not sure if that is too much or too little

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Can we see pictures of the defects?
    I agree, it would be helpful if I gave you guys some pictures to go off of. I will get some for everyone tomorrow, since the sun is almost gone where I am and I don't think I can get anything good with the sun gone. But I can try and get some flashlight pictures and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    One suggestion...you don't need to use it every weekend on your car.

That aside, the others on here have good questions that will help us help you.
    I don't do the correction every week, way too much work haha. I just like waxing my car every weekend, and when I think it needs correction (which I can't seem to successfully do haha) I do that. But sorry I just meant I like waxing the car every weekend, just because I like the car shiny and rain comes and goes where I live.

Post Thanks / Like

So you are doing a test spot on the repainted Trans Am and even with the M105 and orange pad you're not getting correction? When you say you tried all the products at your disposal, you cleaned the pad each time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you clay the car first?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast