autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you first start using a DA?

With all the variables involved....

Clear coat hardness
    Machine speed
    Combination of the correct pad type with right polish abrasiveness
    Paint thickness
    At what point the polish is not worked enough vs. too much
    etc.

how did you start using a machine? Did you just jump in on your good car, practice on another car or buy a junk part? Like anything, you develop a comfort level with all the above to the point it's easy but just wondering how you started out.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a DA for the first time on Tuesday. To get started I...

Read - lots of good information on this site and others.
    Asked - asked questions about the specific products I was interested and then read the responses.
    Planned - made a final decision as to what I would try and what products I would purchase to have if I didn't like my first choices. Personally I chose a polish that I new was probably not agressive enough to make my old trucks paint perfect, figuring that it would be harder to screw up.
    Read some more -
    Agonized - worried about messing up the paint, etc.

TRIED IT! Ok, I actually started on my older truck because I was worried, turns out, what I kept hearing is true. It's virtually impossible to do serious damage with a DA unintentially if you've done ANY homework at all.

Seriously, it's really easy, that's not to minimize the level of skill exhibited by some of the great detailers on this and other sites. As I went I got better and expect to keep getting better. The point is, the first panel I did looked BETTER than before I did it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom introduced me to a professional who taught me in 05. I was supposed to work with her, but it didn't work out. But I continued to keep up my own car. Then I joined AG in 06, started reading A LOT and asking questions. Then two months after joining AG, I got my first customer.

So Ive been into cleaning cars for 4 years. Year 1 was just your basic washing and waxing with OTC products. Year 2 was introduction to PC and quality products. Year 3 was last summer and the start of my "business". And this year my business really exploded with cards, website, email address, flyers, and top of the line products. Each year my skills improve 110%. And I owe it all to the awesome people here at AG! If it wasnt for them, then I would probably still be washing my car with some junky sponge and drying it with the cali. blade.

In fact, I remember killr was the first one who told me I shouldnt be using that blade. So thank you killr! Havent used it since that day, except on windows.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story Dan

Mine is pretty easy. Started really taking care of my cars with OTC product when I thought I knew what I was doing in like 98 or so. Then from there I started using better poducts but still by hand. Small cars thank God. Then around 2004 I got a nicer truck and I wanted to do better so I bought better products again and still did it by hand but it was taking too much time. So in 06 I bought my PC DA after reading on sites like this one and others. It changed my life from the moment I turned it on.

I am still just a weekend warrier and now I have the confidence to try better products. Now I just use better pads, better products, better techinque. I still listen and read to others. This is a great site and folks like me rely on the rest of you for advice.

Best regards.