autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PC spitting out small "grains" of XMT3

I was using an orange ccs pad with xmt3 on my wife's Infiniti QX4 and while buffing the roof, small round "pills" of what appeared to be XMT3 compound began spitting out from under the pad occasionally. They have a very squishy consistency and are not anything like dusting which the XMT3 did a little bit. If you touched them they usually squished down to a filmy paste. This was after completing one side of the car. Did I use too much product and allow it to build up in the center of the pad as I think I did? Has anyone else had this happen?

Car was washed, clayed and then polished when this happened. The center of the pad had a dimpled consistency and seemed to have some of the same product caked on there slightly. It was somewhat filling the pores in the middle of the pad.

Any comments appreciated.
    2001 Mustang Cobra Vert, Lazer red clearcoat,weekend toy
    2001 Infiniti QX4, pearl white two tone
    PC 7424 with XMT products and CCS pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres a little info and trick.....Get a finger nail cleaning brush at the drug store or wal mart...about a buck....after each panel brush your pads to get any build up off...then wipe the pad with a MF to absord any extra polish in the pad....just use 2-3 pea size globs on the pad and polish....do this for very panel...it ensures a clean pad..grit free and gets excess polish off the pad....sounds like you may have used to much polish and it absorbed into the pad and was drenched...

Put the polish on the outside area of the pad..about a inch in form the edge...spread the polish to the work area on speed 2-3...then work the area on speed 5.....6 if needed..but 5 works fine....

AL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01SVTvert
    I was using an orange ccs pad with xmt3 on my wife's Infiniti QX4 and while buffing the roof, small round "pills" of what appeared to be XMT3 compound began spitting out from under the pad occasionally. They have a very squishy consistency and are not anything like dusting which the XMT3 did a little bit. If you touched them they usually squished down to a filmy paste. This was after completing one side of the car. Did I use too much product and allow it to build up in the center of the pad as I think I did? Has anyone else had this happen?

Car was washed, clayed and then polished when this happened. The center of the pad had a dimpled consistency and seemed to have some of the same product caked on there slightly. It was somewhat filling the pores in the middle of the pad.

Any comments appreciated.
    Sounds like it was gumming up. Try spritzing the pad first with a qd or pad conditioner first and spur your pad frequently. Be sure to shake the product well. Did it scratch the paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think hes saying balls of polish are coming out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies,

Sorry about not getting back quickly, comp problems. The polish went on fine and worked well, no marring or other issues. The pad was spritzed with pad conditioner before using. only a small area on the pad the size of maybe a quarter had a "gummed up" look in the center. No marks and if the pad was put on a mf, nothing would be there to absorb. Just a small area that had the pores in the pad clogged with what appeared to be the xmt.

I think it may have been from trying first to put a small blob in the middle rather than 4 small dots on the outer area like I did later. I prob did use too much but with less on the pad I couldnt even get coverage on a 2x2 area that I could see everywhere. Being a white pearl car didnt help in seeing the product. Shook the bottle every time before adding to the pad and absolutely no scratching, the "balls" were actually very soft.

The blobs that came out appeared to be gummed up polish and had a VERY weak consistency with me not being able to pick them up without destroying them into a smear of compound. The average size was prob a little larger than a pin head and the biggest being still small maybe the size of 2 or 3 mm in diameter.

The car actually came out very nice, as a matter of fact, it made me want to redo my laser red vert to get the rest of the cobwebbing off of it.

BTW I LOVE how the xmt on my wifes sunroof removed a ton of hard water deposits and the sunroof looks much better now.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to reply to this, those were polishing balls you saw. If the paint was black, then you would have noticed weird markings. It almost looks like micromarring, but wipes right off, its those polish balls. Ill do it and get a picture for you when I get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan, it seems to be what I thought it was just was curious if anyone has this happen and is it from too much product or the pad throwing "spent" product rather than gumming up the pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last time my orange pad was gumming up in the middle, it was actually melting! The polishing balls I was seeing was actually plastic pieces of my backing plate being flung around the place.

Aaah, good times...