autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Trying to implement DA buffer w/ 3M rubbing compound

By the way, here's post #6 from my article, note the screenshot documenting the guy asking me for help due to haze problems, this is just an example as I've been helping solve this issue for years now....

Quote Originally Posted by dpscoupe View Post

Mike, excellent info as always!

It can be argued that reading and common sense are all but lost today, further proven from the need for articles like this.

Well I'm guilty of not reading directions too, not just in the car care world but in life in general. I went to install some Super Hoops on my truck and after holding the brackets up to the truck body and spinning them around and scratching my head a few times I went to the Round File, dug the instructions out and then after reading them... could plainly see how to install them the right way the first time.

I kind of figure that the average person doesn't think too deeply about compound and polishes and figures they're all kind of the same in a "general sense" and as such, doesn't know or consider that different segments of this industry require different types of products for their unique needs.

For me, I never mind answering questions or helping guys to troubleshoot what's not working in their process. After a certain level is reached for how often a topic comes up it's a reflex action to write an article that I can simply copy and paste when needed instead of typing out an answer over and over again. When though of in that light, I guess I'm lazy.

Here's an example for which I will not simply copy and paste the blue clickable link at the top of this article.

See posts #1, #8 and post #9 which ties vindicates the purpose of this thread.

Not sure how you guys do it

And if you click the link below you can read a question by Dániel Erdős and my follow-up answers.

How to use the FLEX 3401 Dual Action Polisher - YouTube

This is another good reason to have more than one type of compound and polish in your personal arsenal of detailing supplies, so you can do some testing and troubleshooting when you run into problems.

The biggest reason why is because paint systems are different and paint systems are continually evolving. What worked for you yesterday on one car might not work the same on the next car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, another fun experiment would be to introduce Holograms with a Rotary and then try and remove them using 3M products on a DA.

And as always thank you very much for the helpful information.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a little ironic I just read this post. My wife's car is my favorite test subject because there is a lot her car that hasn't been "detailed". So, from time to time I pick a spot that I haven't touched yet and practice my Rotary or DA skills.

The other night I was doing the driver side fender with a 50/50. Week ago I bought a new polish so I wanted to "desperately" try it out.

1. Wash & Dried area
    2. Inspect and Clayed (even though I knew what it needed anyway)
    3. DA with 3M Rubbing Compound 3M Rubbing Compound 05973, body shop safe compound
    4. DA with Polish

I didn't write my procedure down to the "T" only because I'll spare everyone that song and dance. But, I assure you...it was done right! And the pad list because I know it is not on AG (very sorry! but I still love and buy your stuff too!)

Below are pics that I took after the process. Originally I wasn't going to post them on the forums because I was fooling around. That and the pics came out terrible to say the least. Haven't been practicing my picture taking skills really. Please excuse the bad pics.

This one is my favorite

So it does work. That 3M Compound was my very first product I had bought along with my Rotary that a friend gave me. I loved it with the Rotary that ever since I bought my DA I kept going with it on that machine as well. Had not problems so far.

Hope it helps!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MrCleanit View Post

So it does work.

If it works for you that's all that's important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12