autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Backing plate and pad sizes for PC 7424XP

So I have basically decided to take the plunge and buy a PC 7424XP package of some sort, just have not decided on pads and such yet. I know that what ever package I decide on it will come with a backing plate that is 5 inches. However, I also want the machine to be able to use different backing plates and pad sizes, both larger and smaller. I can only afford one machine and it would be used maybe once a year so it has to be flexible and easy as I am a newbie to DA's.

I was thinking of also getting a 3 inch backing plate and pads for the smaller/tighter areas. I talked with Griot's, as I was leaning towards their 6 inch orbital but they said that if I got a 3 inch backing plate the balance would out, which then means the machine can skip and bounce over the surface. Not sure if this is true or if they just want to push/sell their 3 inch orbital.

So my question is whether anyone has had any issues with the "balance" of the PC using either larger and/or smaller backing plates and pads?

Mike Phillips

Re: Backing plate and pad sizes for PC 7424XP

Hi Thumpr and welcome to AGO!

Your question is a good one an a common one, probably one of the top 10 articles I've written answers your question. Take a read-through this article...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

With the PC or the Griots the backing plates are universal in that any size will fit on either machine. You can use 3", 4", 5.5" and 6.5" pads with either machine (with the appropriate backing plate ofcourse) However, the PC works best with 5.5" pads or smaller as it doesn't have the power of the Griots.

The Griots comes with a 6" backing plate and the PC comes with a backing plate that is permanently mounted to a white foam pad so in either case you'll need to buy a backing plate if you want to use 5.5" pads which are the most common size used.

I use my GG6 often with 3" pads and a 2 7/8" backing plate with no balance problems and no need to change the counter weight but I'd suggest a 3.5" bp and 4" pads (for the tight places on your car) initially as I find the 3" setup a little tippy with either polisher.

I would urge you to reconsider the Griots as it is ideal for the weekend detailer--has more power than the PC which makes it easy to keep the pad spinning and it has a lifetime warranty tied to Griots excellent customer service. Imagine if it breaks down 3 or 4 years from now after you had only used it a few times per year--with Griots you'd end up with a new polisher for the cost of shipping.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Thumpr and welcome to AGO!

Your question is a good one an a common one, probably one of the top 10 articles I've written answers your question. Take a read-through this article...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Thanks Mike. I had read this article and many others on this forum and others. But I was asking a very specific question about changing the size of the backing plate and whether there were issues with the PC in doing this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    With the PC or the Griots the backing plates are universal in that any size will fit on either machine. You can use 3", 4", 5.5" and 6.5" pads with either machine (with the appropriate backing plate ofcourse) However, the PC works best with 5.5" pads or smaller as it doesn't have the power of the Griots.

The Griots comes with a 6" backing plate and the PC comes with a backing plate that is permanently mounted to a white foam pad so in either case you'll need to buy a backing plate if you want to use 5.5" pads which are the most common size used.

I use my GG6 often with 3" pads and a 2 7/8" backing plate with no balance problems and no need to change the counter weight but I'd suggest a 3.5" bp and 4" pads (for the tight places on your car) initially as I find the 3" setup a little tippy with either polisher.

I would urge you to reconsider the Griots as it is ideal for the weekend detailer--has more power than the PC which makes it easy to keep the pad spinning and it has a lifetime warranty tied to Griots excellent customer service. Imagine if it breaks down 3 or 4 years from now after you had only used it a few times per year--with Griots you'd end up with a new polisher for the cost of shipping.
    Thanks very much for your great answer and sharing your experience with different backing plates. If the GG6 does not have any balance issues when going to a smaller bp and pad size then this is back in the first spot for purchase.

BTW - did you buy/use the GG 3" bp and pads or did you use a different brand, i.e. LC or 3M

Also - when using a different brand of bp for Griot's do you have to use an adapter of some type or are they just "screw and play" for the GG6?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpr View Post

BTW - did you buy/use the GG 3" bp and pads or did you use a different brand, i.e. LC or 3M

Also - when using a different brand of bp for Griot's do you have to use an adapter of some type or are they just "screw and play" for the GG6?
    I used the LC 2 7/8" bp.

No need for any adapters just screw it in and continue. Make sure you always install the fiber washer between the bp and polisher. You can get a pack of a few extra hear on AG for very little $$$. Always handy to have around in case you lose one.