autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correction Question; PC With LC MF Pad and Meg 105

Hello Folks,

Realizing that I don't post too frequently here, rest assured the articles and library have a godsend as I try to perfect my detailing techniques.

Today, I was "practicing" my polishing skills on our old '99 CRV which received a door ding and some paint transfer at a local grocery store while shopping yesterday.

I was successul in removing the scratch using my PC with a LC MF pad and some M105. I wanted to try the M105 to see how much correction I could attain as well. (Its the first time I have tried a correction using this product on this particular vehicle).

Two questions about the M105:

1) It left behind a haze that could only be removed by a finishing product/polish. In this case, I used Zaino Z5 which worked fine in removing the haze. Is this typical of M105?

2) I wasn't overly enamoured by the correction quality. From the picture (attached), the panel on the left has been polished with M105/Z5, whereas the panel on the right has not. For a 50/50 shot, the quality of the correction is pretty weak in my opinion. What tips/pointers can you experts give me to help attain better results. Some other relevant info to consider:

-PCXP machine with LC MF Pad.
    -M105 applied at speed 5 (2 slow passes) and then speed 4 (2 more slow passes)
    -Vehicle was washed with ONR, and the panel in question was clayed thoroughly before the correction attempt
    -Vehicle is a daily driver, 1999 Honda CRV with 250,000km on it, and single stage paint. By no means a concours vehicle, but ideal to practice on!
    -Apoligies for the mediocre picture; I snapped it with a cell phone before the angle of the sun could change.

Any help would be appreciated folks. Thank-you!

Asif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Correction Question;  PC With LC MF Pad and Meg 105-1-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correction Question; PC With LC MF Pad and Meg 105

Bump. Any words of wisdom/advice?

Cheers,
    A

Post Thanks / Like

One thought I have is that you don't need to slow down the machine for the last 2 passes since M105 is a SMAT product. I'd try 4 passes at speed 5 with decent downward pressure. Then inspect. Do a couple more passes if needed (you may need a squirt of water to re-lube the compound). You may also have better luck with a foam pad as M105 is better formulated for wool on rotary or foam on DA...IIRC. It seems quite a few people do use MF with M105 and get great results, so I am only making a couple different suggestions you could try out here.

In my experience, yes, M105 does leave behind a haze that needs to be finished with a polish like M205.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

M105 is one of the most aggressive compounds out there with incredible correcting ability. 4 passes is probably not enough. I would also ditch the microfiber and try foam (CCS Orange or Hydrotech Cyan) as well. I usually do at least 6 passes and perhaps you might need to do 8. Also use pressure and move slowly. With the PC, speed 5 is often enough but make sure the pad is constantly spinning. Dont be afraid to use 6.

M105 is tricky to work with. Some people have added a spritz of water to lengthen the work time because 105 flashes pretty quickly. It can also leave a haze.

Keep practicing and trying different combos of techniques. More often than not its the user, not the products at fault. Sounds like thats the perfect vehicle to practice on and once you have honed in the process, its going to look great.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The right side (uncorrected) actually looks better to me

Is the pad rotation adequate? Sometimes a PC will bog down and not spin. If it is not spinning...it is not correcting.

Because M105 is NOT a diminishing polish, you should see some improvement with each pass, with successive improvement. The newer formulation of M05 is suggested for rotary and DA polishers.

I have limited experience with Microfiber pads, but IME they must be primed thoroughly and cleaned often to cut well and not leave excessive marring.

Post Thanks / Like

It should have corrected it with your combo. Make sure you have an adequate amount of product. Press firmly while buffing and set it to max speed. Using the 105 and MF cutting pads you will need to follow up with a finer polish and less aggressive pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a newbie to paint correction, and also use the 7424XP, i used it with foam pads and Megs UC, and when i first started, i realized that the pad was only agitating and not rotating when using speed 5, I bumped it up to speed 6, and it was working alright. When i finally realized that I wasnt putting even pressure on the pad, and was able to correct my pressure/motion, the pad moved more freely while applying more pressure. Just my $.02. make sure you have your backing plate marked so that you know its spinning.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use M105 you are only 1/2 finished. IMO you need to follow up with Megs 205 or something very similar (I like Menzerna SF4500). You will have to fix the minor scratches that the M105 left which is why you said it looked dull. In other words, you only completed step 1 of a 2 step process. Megs M205 is Step 2 and it is the polish that will bring back the "shine" of your CRV.

I would use the LC CCS White Pad and the PC7424 XP on Speed setting 4 and use M205 or equivalent polish to bring back the shine to your ride.

You will have to follow up with a sealant or wax as your LSP.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

These are all very insightful responses; thank-you so much. A few takeaways for me include setting the PC on 5 or 6. Obviously, its the only way this machine can cut adequately. (I ordered a Rupes LHR 15 so this problem will be a thing of the past!)

Also, I was not aware that M105 introduces some dulling. I suppose I wasn't expecting that. As I say, the Zaino did fine work of clearing it up, but judging by the above, M105/205 need to be used consecutively.

All very useful information, and considerations I will try when I can get some quality time again on the driveway.

Regards,
    Asif