autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an interesting one:

Looks like someone got a GG6, a 3401, & a Meg's DA and threw them all in a blender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Here's an interesting one:

Looks like someone got a GG6, a 3401, & a Meg's DA and threw them all in a blender.
    Hey swanic, funny you mentioned this! I am in Australia and just got this Rockwell DA polisher. I was browsing at local supercheap auto few weeks ago and saw this DA on sale for AU$80 which was pretty cheap! So what the heck I just bought it thinking I can always return it later if I don't like it or can't use smaller backing plate!

To my surprise this DA is surprisingly smooth and feels solidly built for the price! It has 8mm orbit, soft start, bonus 7" pad, but it's loud and only 600W.

I already have Bosch GEX150 Turbo which is forced rotation like Flex 3401 but only accepts 6" backing plate. This Rockwell DA accepts standard backing plate so I can use smaller pads next time!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Sounds like a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for price comparison, Megs G220v2 retails for AU$300 (now discontinued). Flex 3401 & Rupes 21 are both around AU$600. Festool Rotex 150 around AU$900. This Rockwell DA retails just AU$100 ($80 when I bought it on sale) and includes bonus pad!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots, Flex, Rupes DA clone

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    Funny seeing a cord dragged around a panel at a detailing school.
    I also noticed that!

Well, thats CG...so...

Post Thanks / Like

I say good. These aren't precision machines and they shouldn't cost much money. Guys who do this for a living need at least a PC. The rest of us would be well served by these machines.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into a few issues with mine. One being that the rubber vent shroud between the backing plate and the head of the polisher was getting caught and eventually melted the back of my backing plate a bit.

I tried cutting it back to the back of the vents but the thing is really loose and eventually works its way down back onto it. I wound up tossing that piece of trash and going with nothing between. Its worked out much better.

The second issue that I ran into is when I was using the rupes 5" backing plate I'm fairly certain the rubber shroud was catching and it backed out the center counterweight screw and the head dug into plastic and created a groove. I went ahead and screwed it down tight but mean to put some blue locktite on them. I recommend the same for others who have it.

Other than that, after taking the rubber shroud off and tightening the counterweight screws this thing has a ton of correction power and I'm loving it with the rupes 6" and 7" OD pads. I also have been using it with my nanoskin clay alternative pad and waxing my vehicle. Nice thin coats. Pairs nicely with my old style white chemical guys microfiber pads as well.

If this thing breaks I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a Rupes or another clone if someone distributes it with a warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed this problem before I even started using it. It took me 5 minutes of breaking it down to realize that not only does the shroud contact the backing plate but so does the counter weight. There needs to be a spacer to space out the backing plate and the machine.
    OCD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianch View Post
    I noticed this problem before I even started using it. It took me 5 minutes of breaking it down to realize that not only does the shroud contact the backing plate but so does the counter weight. There needs to be a spacer to space out the backing plate and the machine.

Sounds like quality engineering. The machine comes new out of the box that way? Oofa.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this fits the Rupes 21 Clone?

Replacement housing for RUPES LHR21 Bigfoot

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast