autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GG or Rupes DA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG or Rupes DA

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Believe there are few more build differences. I've picked both up and liked the feel of the 21 more. 15 is extremely smooth. I've also used briefly a modified 15 with a few 21 internals and it spins in a different manner.

You'll have to ask Kevin Brown for a more detailed description!
    Thanks I will try to find out. From every thing I found, the only differences are the different stroke lengths, which is longer on the 21, and the orbit speed, which is higher on the 15. And of course the BP size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Honestly, I have both machines and the Griots is more powerful than the Rupes. More powerful in the sense it's easier to stop the pad from spinning on the Rupes (not correction power). So, the Rupes has a more "safe mode" built in. You would be hard pressed to burn anything with a Rupes using skills honed on a Griots. I don't want to start the "amps/watts" discussion again, but if you compare the two you will see which is more - much more.
    I disagree. There's definitely a steep learning curve with the Rupes 21. The issue of the machine not spinning on curved panels can be greatly alleviated by doing the washer mod and making sure that the pad is centered.

The greater concern that I have is with the throw. This machine has a tendency to get the paint quite hot, and very quickly. I have personally noticed this with the Meg MF Finishing Discs and D300 or FG400. So a new user needs to be aware that paint burning is a very real possibility.

Lastly, the Rupes has a tendency to be very hard on pads -- so do not be surprised if you chew up certain pads very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    I disagree. There's definitely a steep learning curve with the Rupes 21. The issue of the machine not spinning on curved panels can be greatly alleviated by doing the washer mod and making sure that the pad is centered.

The greater concern that I have is with the throw. This machine has a tendency to get the paint quite hot, and very quickly. I have personally noticed this with the Meg MF Finishing Discs and D300 or FG400. So a new user needs to be aware that paint burning is a very real possibility.

Lastly, the Rupes has a tendency to be very hard on pads -- so do not be surprised if you chew up certain pads very quickly.
    In your experience, is it easier to stop the Rupes (15/21) pad from spinning that a Griot's Garage 6" machine? Have you tried Rupes pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    In your experience, is it easier to stop the Rupes (15/21) pad from spinning that a Griot's Garage 6" machine? Have you tried Rupes pads?
    I have a Rupes 21 and a Flex 3401, but I have never used the Griots.

To date, I have tried the following pads on my Rupes 21:
    - Rupes Yellow 7”
    - Rupes White 7”
    - Uber Green 6.5”
    - Meguiars MF Finishing Disc 6”
    - LC orange cutting 6.5”

When using the MF discs, it is very difficult to get the pad to stop spinning. I personally feel that the Rupes 21 and the Meg MF Finishing Disc is a match in heaven; it is incredibly smooth and easy to navigate. The disc gives you great cut and a very good finish with FG400.

The Rupes yellow pad is the ones that are most problematic, IMO. I think it has to do with the heavy weight of the pad. When the Yellow pads are new, they are very stiff and hard. You really need to use them on a flat surface (roof, hood or trunklid) for a couple cars to break them in. Otherwise, if you try to use them on curvy vertical panels (when new), the pad will almost “skip” because it’s so hard – and as you can imagine, it is also easy for the pad to stop spinning.

I am not trying to say that the Rupes is not a good machine – I think it’s great. But a new user should be aware that it may be a challenge to keep certain pads spinning on the slightest curved panel. Plus paint burning is definitely a real possibility given the right combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the RUPES 12E Duetto kit. From my understanding, it keeps the pad spinning better than the 15/21. That would make sense from a basic physics standpoint. Still, the 12mm throw will outperform and other PC style polisher. I'll add the washer mod which will give it even more rotation. I prefer the PC style chassis of the 12E as well. I'm very excited to use this polisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    I have a Rupes 21 and a Flex 3401, but I have never used the Griots.

To date, I have tried the following pads on my Rupes 21:
    - Rupes Yellow 7”
    - Rupes White 7”
    - Uber Green 6.5”
    - Meguiars MF Finishing Disc 6”
    - LC orange cutting 6.5”

When using the MF discs, it is very difficult to get the pad to stop spinning. I personally feel that the Rupes 21 and the Meg MF Finishing Disc is a match in heaven; it is incredibly smooth and easy to navigate. The disc gives you great cut and a very good finish with FG400.

The Rupes yellow pad is the ones that are most problematic, IMO. I think it has to do with the heavy weight of the pad. When the Yellow pads are new, they are very stiff and hard. You really need to use them on a flat surface (roof, hood or trunklid) for a couple cars to break them in. Otherwise, if you try to use them on curvy vertical panels (when new), the pad will almost “skip” because it’s so hard – and as you can imagine, it is also easy for the pad to stop spinning.

I am not trying to say that the Rupes is not a good machine – I think it’s great. But a new user should be aware that it may be a challenge to keep certain pads spinning on the slightest curved panel. Plus paint burning is definitely a real possibility given the right combo.
    Try using smaller foam pads on the 21 with a 5" BP. I think it'll make a significant difference. If you haven't done the washer mod, do that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tresca View Post
    Well I ordered the Rupes LHR15ES after I asked and received confirmation from the factory that the LHR15ES was not being discontinued. However, now I'm having second thoughts on my selection.

I had picked the 15 over the 21 because I could use the 5.5" pads I have now and familiar with, plus I felt the 15 would be a little easier to handle in tighter areas. But now I'm reading posts that the 15 is much more likely to stop the pad on curvy panels and if pressure is applied. The opposite of what I had read before deciding on the 15. Does anyone now the return procedure at AQ. It looks like I should have ordered the 21 and a 5" BP.
    With the Kevin Brown mod my Rupes 15 almost never Boggs down on curves. YouTube it and you'll be happy you did.😃

Post Thanks / Like

How can the Rupes provide so much more correction ability with only a 4 amp motor when the GG has a 7 amp and even the PCXP has a 4.2 amp? Is the Rupes that much more efficient electrically and mechanically?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tresca View Post
    How can the Rupes provide so much more correction ability with only a 4 amp motor when the GG has a 7 amp and even the PCXP has a 4.2 amp? Is the Rupes that much more efficient electrically and mechanically?
    If you would take the time to read the information provided to you--you wouldn't be asking this question.

As posted earlier in this thread:

"Here is an article by Kevin Brown about the advantages of a long stroke machine that is very informative: http://www.buffdaddy.com/files/15195...erformance.pdf"

It answers your question very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello.

I see you have a though decision my friend, although you already had some nice opinions/ suggestions.

What I do understand in this case is the fact you want to jump from a 'simple' DA to a more sophisticated/professional machine.

My 0.2 cents is that switching from your conventional PC to a GG will be an improvement (no doubt about it), however in no time you'll be willing to order the 'more professional tool' afterwards...

What I mean is, just after you master the 'middle line' of DAs (PCXP, G110v2, GG - really short learning curve), you will want to go further again, so you'll end up buying the Rupes you want (thus spending money 2 times).

After mastering a professional level machine, there's 'no further' you can go with buying new machine (you already have the TOP), just work hard to improve your almost perfect results every time you use it until perfection. Those tools are the best you can get to work with.

However, if you are willing to pay the price for a Rupes, I hardly recommend for you to do some research regarding 'Rupes vs Flex 3401'. Ok, they are different 'beasts', but at the same price range you cannot discard the Flex as an option. Just consider and re-consider Pros and Cons in each case for your particular needs.

Personally I would stick with 3401 and use the PC with smaller backing plate for spots (as stated before), but again, just my 0.2 cents.

Not saying GG is not good, but having more sophisticated machines in the market will always keep you thinking... 'What if I have a Rupes/Flex?' You can end that doubt now by ordering the higher-end you can afford.

Looking forward to hear your decision,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast