autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting pads

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting pads

I've been reading on the Meguiars forum that they never recomend using cutting pads with the PC dap due to marring or hazing. Is the Lake country orange (light cutting) pad safe to use? I know to start less aggressive and move up but just wondering if anyone got new problems they couldn't get rid of using the orange one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also interested in this answer. I have some Meguiar's pads, but am thinking about switching to Edge 2000. Am I crazy for holding out so long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA
    I've been reading on the Meguiars forum that they never recomend using cutting pads with the PC dap due to marring or hazing. Is the Lake country orange (light cutting) pad safe to use? I know to start less aggressive and move up but just wondering if anyone got new problems they couldn't get rid of using the orange one?

I have used an orange pad with good success on swirls, I have never used a yellow (cutting) pad without the need to repolish the area with a white pad and polish, and then moving to a finishing pad and finishing polish. It created alot of micromarring ... yellows out with the PC in my book. But it can be a necessary evil on alot of badly oxidized and swirled cars, you just need to plan the additional polishing steps.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    ....I have never used a yellow (cutting) pad without the need to repolish the area with a white pad and polish, and then moving to a finishing pad and finishing polish. It created alot of micromarring ... yellows out with the PC in my book. But it can be a necessary evil on alot of badly oxidized and swirled cars, you just need to plan the additional polishing steps.

Exactly, I have used Meguiars Cutting pad with a PC and like Killrwheels said you usually need to step down 2 polishes to remove the hazing (depending on the color).

Here is a before and after using SSR3/Meguiars cutting pad follow by LC polishing pad and Menzerna IP:

With that being said I very rarely use a cutting pad and I usually only use it as a the last resort.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used orange pads to remove minor defects with great results. However my neighbors (sp) dog took it apon himself to try to jump through my driver side window leaving some nice deep scracthes on my otherwise perfect paint. So needless to say i needed somting with a little more cut then what orange was doing for me. I used a wool pad and some Opt. compound which has a long working time and finishes down really well. well no swirls per say but holograms abound. so some opt. polish via white pad and pinnciles AFP via gray pad = LSP ready.

Guess what Im trying to get at if you need to get some deeper inperfections out and dont have rotary, dont think your pc can't do the job. Just be prepared to spend some time doing it and choose a product that finishes down well and use the step down process happy detailing.

Oh and if your trying to get minor inperfections out and the orange pad isn't cutting it i would suggest stepping up the polish before going to the yellow pad. not that it wouldnt work, just time consuming to have to polish out any haze or swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx guys.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh BTW I have a black 02 camaro, do you find that the clearcoat on your TA to a little on the "hard" side? I go with some some opt. 50/50 compound and polish just to get the swirls out .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abrcrombe
    ...thinking about switching to Edge 2000. Am I crazy for holding out so long?
    Yup, get em now and don't look back.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 06-03-2006 at 07:00 PM.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StudlyJ
    oh BTW I have a black 02 camaro, do you find that the clearcoat on your TA to a little on the "hard" side? I go with some some opt. 50/50 compound and polish just to get the swirls out .
    Unfortunately I have a broken kneecap now so I haven't had a chance to try out the new Porter Cable yet. Hopefully by the end of this month. I've heard alot about Vettes having extremely hard clearcoats, not sure about these F bodies yet tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Edge 2K kit. I had a few deep swirls on my white suv on the hood that the orange pad couldn't take all away. Grabbed the yellow cutting pad and Optimum Compound and bingo, and it barely left any hazing. Finished up with OP on blue pad. But I also have a a custom 4" orange pad Aaron at Edge made me, makes quick work for spot buffing.

BTW, does anybody know what the difference is between the Edge orange and green pads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast