autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight cord Mod

I've done to most of my tools. Thank you for the review

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I will be doing this, thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailingNoob View Post
    Sorry to bump an older thread.. but a question to all who have modded ANY DA Polisher to extend the cord.

What is an advantage of permanently attaching a longer cord versus using a quality extension cord each time? Is it not safe to use an extension cord to plug the DA Polisher into then plug the other end of the extension cord into an outlet?

To me it would make more sense to have an extension cord separate instead of having a 20-30 foot cord attached to the DA Polisher itself all the time and having it hang and what not. Maybe my thought is wrong.
    The advantage is not having to pull out an additional item when setting up your equipment. Also, not having the your machine disconnect from an additional source in the middle of the job.

The disadvantage may very well be a safety issue. For what ever reason, if you have to disconnect quickly then it would difficult to do so when your only plug is 25' away.

As long as the cord is the right gauge thickness, there shouldn't be an issue.
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken another route with my polisher. Home Depot has a 12' 16 guage TWO WAY extension cord for $8. Since it's two way the female end is very small. I find a total of 22' just fine so I just taped the connection together and don't have to worry about it coming disconnected during a polishing session. Works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

There's little reason to ever debate common sense and this is yet another fine case of thinking out of the box......AWESOME thread and tutorial....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean any disrespect, but what's the point of this mod? Why not just tie an overhand knot with the ends of your DA/extension cord plugs together, plug them in, and voila. No risk of the plug coming undone and the cord can be as long as you like? You can still loop it over your shoulder and no huge cord to store. One extension cord can be used for any tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    To each his own. I personally am getting tired of having to tie cords together. Plus, sometimes the connection still ends up coming loose. Also, when moving around a vehicle a knotted cord is more likely to get stuck under a tire and stop production. Countless times this has happened to me, as well as when working on a ladder and having the cord knot act as an anchor on a rung or something at ground level when going up and down the ladder is an unnecessary hazard. Knotting cords together also puts excess strain/wear-n-tear on the cords and connectors. With out the need for an extension cord, you have one less item to worry about forgetting/misplacing when going to and from a job. If one can live with all those cons, and many others, then don't consider this very useful mod.
    Thanks for the Diy write up/tutorial. I did this with my HF rotary using a salvaged shop-vac cord that is about 25ft. I will admit that you have to change up the way you store a polisher when having a longer cord but, that's not a big issue to me.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for confirmation. I was wondering if the cord that came with the unit was somehow not rated for the amp draw, and after time, heated up or something but I would think the OEM would provide a decent cord.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    To each his own. I personally am getting tired of having to tie cords together. Plus, sometimes the connection still ends up coming loose. Also, when moving around a vehicle a knotted cord is more likely to get stuck under a tire and stop production. Countless times this has happened to me, as well as when working on a ladder and having the cord knot act as an anchor on a rung or something at ground level when going up and down the ladder is an unnecessary hazard. Knotting cords together also puts excess strain/wear-n-tear on the cords and connectors. With out the need for an extension cord, you have one less item to worry about forgetting/misplacing when going to and from a job. If one can live with all those cons, and many others, then don't consider this very useful mod.
    Thanks for the Diy write up/tutorial. I did this with my HF rotary using a salvaged shop-vac cord that is about 25ft. I will admit that you have to change up the way you store a polisher when having a longer cord but, that's not a big issue to me.
    14-3 25' Stay Plugged Red Extension Cord at Menards

Its not the cheapest cord, but the idea is awesome. I bought a couple different lengths and use them for everything. The locking feature obviously only works with male ends that have a hole in one of the prongs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast