autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Using ONR

Post Thanks / Like

Using ONR

Hello...

Which way would be better ( as I have no water restrictions)

Hose car down
    Spray bottle ONR ( 1:16) let it soak
    Use bucket with ONR mixture and wash mitt
    Dry
    Buff

or

Spray bottle ONR let it soak
    Hose car down
    Use bucket with ONR mixture and wash mitt
    Dry
    Buff

Thxs
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using ONR

When I did ONR washes on my ride. I put a few ounces of ONR in a chemical sprayer and spray down each panel I was washing as sort of a pre-rinse. I know some folks use a spray bottle with a trigger sprayer. I grew tired of using the trigger handle so I went out and got one of those gallon pump chemical sprayers. I used 3 buckets of water. 2 fresh water-rinse buckets and 1 wash bucket each with 5 gallons of water. I know it was over kill to use two rinse buckets but it gave me peace of mind. I used a Lake Country Foam Sponge (the one with the cross cuts) as the wash media. Then I'd blow dry each panel as I went along.

I finally came to the conclusion that, although it may be convenient in the winter months to use this method to keep my ride clean, I realize that I do not like ONR washes. I never felt 100% comfortable doing these types of washes and even though I'd thoroughly rinse my wash media out and scrub the chit out of it against the grit guard, I was still putting swirls in my paint -more like scratches, I guess, since i only do straight lines when I wash.

Others will swear by it, but since you don't have any water restrictions, my suggestion would be to stay away from them.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using ONR

IMO the pre-spray or pre-soak with ONR is something you do when you can't use a hose (water restrictions or winter). If you can hose the car down first, I would just go straight to the ONR wash--just be aware if you hose the whole car down you are setting yourself up for waterspots that you might not get with ONR alone.

Just to clarify, the purpose of the pre-soak/pre-rinse was IMO to flush away large particle before you wash (just like you do hosing the car down first before a conventional wash). IME the pre-soak/prespray of ONR doesn't really do anything, of course I use the standard mixture while some members use a more concentrated mixture.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.