autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vibration

Post Thanks / Like

PC vibration

I was using my PC today and it seemed I had a lot of vibration. I had changed from a 6" backplate to a 5" backplate. It was screwed on correctly. Any ideas.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You will feel some vibration and your hands will itch if you use it at high speeds. Just make sure the pad is oscillating when on the finish. 5 inch backing plate should only be used with smaller pads and the polishing head that came with the 7424, for any larger pads stick with the 6 inch model.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    You will feel some vibration and your hands will itch if you use it at high speeds. Just make sure the pad is oscillating when on the finish. 5 inch backing plate should only be used with smaller pads and the polishing head that came with the 7424, for any larger pads stick with the 6 inch model.
    I was using a 6" plate with 6.5" pads and decided I needed something a little smaller because the curves in the car so I got a 5" plate and was using it with 5" pads and 6.5" pads. The 5" plate was okay the first time I used it but when I switched back this time, it was vibrating more than usual or atleast I think it was especially with the 6.5"pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    mine has always sounded a little weird to me... kind of like its knocking or rattling... it seems like it shouldnt sound like that but i just finally had to ask if thats normal or if it should just be a smooth sound

and i posted in another thread that the engine gets very hot after not too long at all...takes a while to cool down too

was i supposed to change the weight that it came with? it has one inside but my girlfriend ordered the "suggested" counterweight too which looks to be the same size..###?

Post Thanks / Like
    weights are marked 5 and 6. Pretty much you will use 6 all the time unless going to smaller pads. The unit gets hot quickly but does not translate (or should not) to the backing plate. Mine sounds like a sander on high. PSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    no it doesnt go to the plate, just my right hand usually lol

both weights say use 6 inch pad only

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelso
    both weights say use 6 inch pad only

Sounds like you bought a 7336 versus a 7424. The 7336 (commonly sold at Lowes) is setup as a sander/polisher and comes with the larger counterweight.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    whatever comes with the xmt porter cable kit.... im pretty sure its the 7424

thanks again for that video link you sent me

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanOwner
    I was using a 6" plate with 6.5" pads and decided I needed something a little smaller because the curves in the car so I got a 5" plate and was using it with 5" pads and 6.5" pads. The 5" plate was okay the first time I used it but when I switched back this time, it was vibrating more than usual or atleast I think it was especially with the 6.5"pads.

Check to make sure the pad is centered perfectly. have tested this and it does make it better. I have always used a 5 inch backing plate and never had any major vibration issues. also might I suggest a looser grip on the PC ? I use to run a 100lb jackhammer for 6 years and you would be suprised at how less of a beating your forearms take using a lighter grip. just a suggestion, take it for what it is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelso
    mine has always sounded a little weird to me... kind of like its knocking or rattling... it seems like it shouldnt sound like that but i just finally had to ask if thats normal or if it should just be a smooth sound
    I always thought mine sounded a little funny too. I got lots of power tools but just didn't think it sounded/felt right. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast