autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing Plates

Post Thanks / Like

Backing Plates

I have a PC and I also am using:

3.5 inch backing plate
    5 inch backing plate
    4 inch LC pads
    5 inch LC pads
    6.5 inch LC CCS pads

Should I get a 6 inch backing plate for the 6.5 pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    The 5in. backing plate should be all that you need gor the 6.5in. pads. That is what I use with my PC and 6.5in. pads and have had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    you could if you wanted to..not really necessary.... (or you can switch to the edge system hehe) ...i will admit i do think some of the lc foams are superior to edge...i like the white lc foam better than the blue edge foam for finishing polish...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just feel that the extra inch is going to waste since no pressure is being put on it

Post Thanks / Like
    just remember the key to backing plates, is flexibility. You should have them in multiple sizes to match up with pads correctly.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I preffer to have my BP's come almost to the edge of the pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 5" bp with my 6.5" pads. I like having the extra room because the pad will sort of curl over the edge making for smooth transitions over contoured areas of the car. I have a 5.25" CCS pad, and I'm afraid that the edge of the bp might rub the paint when I hit one of the raised parts of the car.

Also remember that with more area means the pressure is distributed over a larger area so you will probably lose a slight bit of correction ability if you use a larger bp.
    Last edited by Grimm; 05-18-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Grimm,

I have a few backing plates now 3.5, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 inch backing plates and I have used the 6 inch backing plate with my Lake Country pads and it works fine but I tend to fall back on my 5 inch backing plate because of that extra security. I really enjoy using the 4 inch backing place with the 4inch Lake Country pads, they are really nice to have.

Well that's just my feed back.

Oh and yes Killr is correct, you want a backing plate that is flexible and you can never have enough backing plates hahahaha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orngez
    you could if you wanted to..not really necessary.... (or you can switch to the edge system hehe) ...i will admit i do think some of the lc foams are superior to edge...i like the white lc foam better than the blue edge foam for finishing polish...
    with The Edge system you can actually switch between any pad size without ever changing the backing plate because there is no backing plate. You can use the same adapter to put on 8inch, 6inch, and 4 inch pads. As far as foams, I want to make everyone aware that we have every foam available that LC has and we make all our pads in them. I am not sure which white you are referring to but we have several white foams some stiff such as our Durafoam White, some super super soft such as the same foam in the ShMiTT being our Standard Polyester Urthane White, and a European Prepolymer kind of memory foam such as the one used in the Adam's kit. I would not agree that LC foams are superior because neither of us manufacture the foams, and we both have access to any foam on the market. The difference is, our design in pads, and customer service. We have the wave waffle pads available, our double sided quick connet system, and we make every effort to provide fantastic customer service and support, we even guarantee our adapters for LIFE.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast