autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How hot does your PC 7424 get?

I just got a PC after using a small $20 Ryobi random orbital for a few months and I gotta say I'm a little confused by a few things.

1) The metal part of the casing got REAL hot. Almost too hot to touch. I wasn't blocking any of the vents. I held it by the handle and the outside of the rear housing. The thing also sounds like a tank. Is something wrong with it? The Ryobi was super smooth and quiet, by comparison.

2) It was much, much easier to bog the PC down than I thought it would be. For such a big, heavy motor, I expected it to take considerable pressure to stall the pad. With the Ryobi, I could bear down on it, and it would still maintain at least 50% of it's max rpm. The PC would flat out stall with just a few lbs of pressure. I definitely couldn't apply the 10-15 lbs that is typically recommended.

The two issues combined have me wanting to run to Lowe's to buy a PC and return it, just to see if there is somethign wrong with mine!
    ///

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sa//|XP
    I just got a PC after using a small $20 Ryobi random orbital for a few months and I gotta say I'm a little confused by a few things.

1) The metal part of the casing got REAL hot. Almost too hot to touch. I wasn't blocking any of the vents. I held it by the handle and the outside of the rear housing. The thing also sounds like a tank. Is something wrong with it? The Ryobi was super smooth and quiet, by comparison.

YES IT DOES GET HOT...I DONT USE ANY HANDLE I JUST HOLD THE WHOLE MACHINE IN MY HAND AND USE IT...NEVER TO HOT TO HANDLE FOR ME.......

2) It was much, much easier to bog the PC down than I thought it would be.

YOU SHOULD LET THE MACHINE DO THE WORK......PRESSING DOWN MAY BE MAKING IT HOT

For such a big, heavy motor, I expected it to take considerable pressure to stall the pad. With the Ryobi, I could bear down on it,

I WOULDN'T BEAR DOWN IN EXCESS.......I JUST WOULDN'T JUST LET THE WEIGHT OF THE MACHINE DO THE WORK

and it would still maintain at least 50% of it's max rpm. The PC would flat out stall with just a few lbs of pressure. I definitely couldn't apply the 10-15 lbs that is typically recommended.

The two issues combined have me wanting to run to Lowe's to buy a PC and return it, just to see if there is somethign wrong with mine!

NOT SURE......BUT IT IS NOISY AND DOES GET WARM......

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched a few videos and the tank noise seems to be pretty common. So maybe the machine is fine. When I did as you said, and let the weight of the machine do the work, and applied no more pressure - it did amazing work. It broke down OC in just a minute or two, where it took me 7+ minutes with the Ryobi. The big difference between the Ryobi and PC is the orbital action. The Ryobi barely oscillates, whereas the PC swings a huge arc (which creates a significantly longer moment arm for the pad to work against the motor - thus the stalling?).
    I'm gonna go with weight of the machine only, and see if the additional rpm doesn't maybe let the internal cooling fan do it's work and keep the motor a little cooler.
    ///

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched a few videos and the tank noise seems to be pretty common. So maybe the machine is fine. When I did as you said, and let the weight of the machine do the work, and applied no more pressure - it did amazing work. It broke down OC in just a minute or two, where it took me 7+ minutes with the Ryobi. The big difference between the Ryobi and PC is the orbital action. The Ryobi barely oscillates, whereas the PC swings a huge arc (which creates a significantly longer moment arm for the pad to work against the motor - thus the stalling?).
    I'm gonna go with weight of the machine only, and see if the additional rpm doesn't maybe let the internal cooling fan do it's work and keep the motor a little cooler.
    Good idea and im sure it will.........and good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so if you can't bear down on your PC without stalling it - then I've likely found your problem. I forgot to install the spacer that keeps the backing plate from rubbing against the counter weight! I was basically an eccentric rotary!! Which explains:
    a) Overheating
    b) Bogging/stalling
    c) Bucking/jerking
    d) Compound breaking down in 30 seconds (basicaly a rotary - PLUS eccentric rotation!)

Popped the spacer in there and the thing worked like a champ! What tipped me off was watching all the vids and seeing a) how smooth other PC's sounded and b) how much pressure detailers were able to apply with hardly any noticeable drop in rpm.

I love this machine!
    ///

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine actually got pretty hot when I was polishing my brother's 350 Z today. So hot, I could barely touch it.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    ya mine gets pretty hot

Post Thanks / Like
    get a new extension cord

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so if you can't bear down on your PC without stalling it - then I've likely found your problem. I forgot to install the spacer that keeps the backing plate from rubbing against the counter weight! I was basically an eccentric rotary!! Which explains:
    a) Overheating
    b) Bogging/stalling
    c) Bucking/jerking
    d) Compound breaking down in 30 seconds (basicaly a rotary - PLUS eccentric rotation!)

Popped the spacer in there and the thing worked like a champ! What tipped me off was watching all the vids and seeing a) how smooth other PC's sounded and b) how much pressure detailers were able to apply with hardly any noticeable drop in rpm.

I love this machine!
    Spacer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe
    Spacer?

My thought also....

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast