autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What SHOULD XMT2 take out?

During the weekend I used XMT2 on my lazer red Mustang. The car had a ton of swirls on the hood and I was looking to get rid of them. Worked the hood in 4 parts, 4 small blobs on the pad each section. Worked it until I THOUGHT that it had broken down based upon it turning clear. Used speed 5 and then ran across the panel with less pressure on 6 to finish.

My question is this. How much swirling should XMT2 get out? I noticed about 70% or so gone now. Is this normal? I may have used a little too much product at the start, would this affect it breaking down?

Thanks
    2001 Mustang Cobra Vert, Lazer red clearcoat,weekend toy
    2001 Infiniti QX4, pearl white two tone
    PC 7424 with XMT products and CCS pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Got any pics? What pad?
    Xmt 2 will take care of light swirls with edge green 2k pad!
    Check out the link:Red F-350 with a pink box!

Post Thanks / Like
    Using too much product will increase break down time. You should be working it in for 3-5 min. I like to use a timer while I polish.

That looks great sparkie!
    Last edited by D; 04-23-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    prob need xmt 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01SVTvert
    During the weekend I used XMT2 on my lazer red Mustang. The car had a ton of swirls on the hood and I was looking to get rid of them. Worked the hood in 4 parts, 4 small blobs on the pad each section. Worked it until I THOUGHT that it had broken down based upon it turning clear. Used speed 5 and then ran across the panel with less pressure on 6 to finish.

My question is this. How much swirling should XMT2 get out? I noticed about 70% or so gone now. Is this normal? I may have used a little too much product at the start, would this affect it breaking down?

Thanks
    XMT2 will really be pad dependant. What color pad did you use anyway? How deep are those swirls? How hard was the paint? (domestics are pretty hard).
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Used the wolfgang 5.5 orange pad that came as a bonus with my PC and the CCS pad "kit"

A timer is next but I know I worked it for at least 3 minutes, I try and put enough pressure on the pad untill it stops rotating and then let up from there so the pad rotates again and continue working.

The XMT2 seems to go from a "dried wax" whitish color to a clearer looking covering and this is when I figured it had broken down. I then usually brought the PC up from about 5 or 5.5 to a 6 and used less pressure for another 45 secs to a minute on the area. Final product left was then removed with a MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    just start on speed six on your polish after spreading it out...i have never seen the results being better by starting at slower speeds and then finishing at higher speeds...i personally dont like xmt2 or pb ssr2 for use with a pc....i feel it is just better to have an agressive polish and a finishing polish...all the ones in the middle never really seem to do the level of correction i am looking for when using the porter cable...the dual action has a lot of limitations and medium level polishes only really perform like finishing polishes...now with my rotary...its a totally different story..

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to try XMT3 and the orange pad on 6 next after my order from AG gets in.

Thanks for the advice