autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA Polisher - New

Would like a copy of the directions also....Thanks in advance!!! :-)
    "Radio while driving? Never! Music to me is the sound of my E46 ///M3...."

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi..can you also please email me a copy of the diy too? My email is mikkychoo62@gmail.com. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I just used this for the first time today. I like side switch location- perfect spot for my left thumb.

I also taped the exposed velcro on the edge of backing pad, and so far, my harbor freight pad hasn't been chewed up yet. Will continue to use tomorrow and polish out my pitted paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I can add my input with my experience using the HF DA as I'm currently on my third. I corrected almost two cars with the first one. While polishing the last panel of the second car, the backing plate snapped/broke off and went flying. I'm soo lucky that it didn't hit the paint but I did had to hand polish the rest of it to finish off the car.

I bought it because it was a cheap way to get into machine polishing and learn the techniques so it was probably due to my noobish technique and too much pressure that it broke. Although reading back through this thread, the crappy backing plate probably had something to do with it also. As to where it snapped off, I think it was the backing plate screw. I did take a picture of it but I seemed to have lost the picture. Looking back, mechanically I had no problems. It didn't really overheat or smoke up as some people have experienced and my Adams pads didn't really get torn up that much but you certainly do feel the vibrations in your arms and it had a high pitch sound that I had to use my Vmoda fader ear plugs while using it.

Using it for the first time it was tricky to know how much pressure to use because the videos I watched with the PC tell you to draw a line on the side of the plate to show you how slow it should be rotating. Well on the HF with speed 5 and especially 6, you can't get it to rotate that slow. If you do, then it's way too much pressure being applied. So I kind of concluded on my own that the HF is definitely more powerful than the PC and to just focus on bottoming out the pad rather than how fast the line is rotating for the pressure to use.

It was within the 30 day warranty so I returned it for a new one. On the second one I noticed a crack right out of the box on the shaft below the red plastic part right at the crease before it widens up. I applied really light pressure on it and it broke off before I even started using it. At this point though I wasn't really angry because I had gotten a used Flex off craigslist from a local detailer selling off all his gear so I didn't rush out to get the third one right away.

Since, I've corrected about three cars with the Flex and just use HF with the 4" backing plate and 4" pads. After using the Flex, I absolutely don't miss the vibrations from the HF at all or the high pitched noise. With the Flex I just have to make sure to keep it flat or it will tend to "walk". I do plan on buying the brush kit down the line to use with my HF DA as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by varga740 View Post
    I guess I can add my input with my experience using the HF DA as I'm currently on my third. I corrected almost two cars with the first one. While polishing the last panel of the second car, the backing plate snapped/broke off and went flying. I'm soo lucky that it didn't hit the paint but I did had to hand polish the rest of it to finish off the car.

I bought it because it was a cheap way to get into machine polishing and learn the techniques so it was probably due to my noobish technique and too much pressure that it broke. Although reading back through this thread, the crappy backing plate probably had something to do with it also. As to where it snapped off, I think it was the backing plate screw. I did take a picture of it but I seemed to have lost the picture. Looking back, mechanically I had no problems. It didn't really overheat or smoke up as some people have experienced and my Adams pads didn't really get torn up that much but you certainly do feel the vibrations in your arms and it had a high pitch sound that I had to use my Vmoda fader ear plugs while using it.

Using it for the first time it was tricky to know how much pressure to use because the videos I watched with the PC tell you to draw a line on the side of the plate to show you how slow it should be rotating. Well on the HF with speed 5 and especially 6, you can't get it to rotate that slow. If you do, then it's way too much pressure being applied. So I kind of concluded on my own that the HF is definitely more powerful than the PC and to just focus on bottoming out the pad rather than how fast the line is rotating for the pressure to use.

It was within the 30 day warranty so I returned it for a new one. On the second one I noticed a crack right out of the box on the shaft below the red plastic part right at the crease before it widens up. I applied really light pressure on it and it broke off before I even started using it. At this point though I wasn't really angry because I had gotten a used Flex off craigslist from a local detailer selling off all his gear so I didn't rush out to get the third one right away.

Since, I've corrected about three cars with the Flex and just use HF with the 4" backing plate and 4" pads. After using the Flex, I absolutely don't miss the vibrations from the HF at all or the high pitched noise. With the Flex I just have to make sure to keep it flat or it will tend to "walk". I do plan on buying the brush kit down the line to use with my HF DA as well.
    Seems to me you have not bothered with the upgrades, nor have you gone to the 5 inch plate with 51/2 in pads. and a 4 in plate needs 4.5 in pads. I may be a noob but I also am not a idiot, nor a kid. Hmmm your about 1 in 20+ who dont like it. Its a free country, but we do value your insight. I hope you can contribute beyond this your 9th post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    Seems to me you have not bothered with the upgrades, nor have you gone to the 5 inch plate with 51/2 in pads. and a 4 in plate needs 4.5 in pads. I may be a noob but I also am not a idiot, nor a kid. Hmmm your about 1 in 20+ who dont like it. Its a free country, but we do value your insight. I hope you can contribute beyond this your 9th post.
    Not sure if I sounded negative or what but I didn't say I didn't like it. I just shared my experience. Please don't make assumptions. Upgrading to the 5 inch plate change seemed to help those who had their pads eaten up by the 6" plate and as I stated I didn't have that issue. Changing the backing plate probably would have prevented the broken plate on my first machine. The second machine was just purely on quality control since it was cracked when I got it out of the box. I still have the third machine and use it for 4inch pads. The reason I don't use it as my main is because I already upgraded to the Flex. But if I have a car with soft paint I'll definitely go back to the HF as the Flex would be overkill. There's a place and time for both machines.

Oh and about the 4inch plate I mentioned, I have the Adams 4inch kit which comes with the backing plate and 4inch pads and they're made to work with each other. So don't worry I should be good on that front. I think they just call them both 4inches to make it simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by varga740 View Post

I bought it because it was a cheap way to get into machine polishing and learn the techniques so it was probably due to my noobish technique and too much pressure that it broke.
    that's probably it.

When I first used it, I put too much pressure. Then I put it on my bathroom scale and was surprised how little pressure it takes to make 15 pounds.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Beamer. Placed my order for a LC 5" backing plate and some flat 5.5" pads in orange, white, and black last night. Just need to get over to HF.

Now if I could just wave a magic wand and have claying over with, I'd be really excited.

Post Thanks / Like

incase you all missed it I found 5 in backing plates for 11 bucks. every bit the same as others i have seen. will let you know on monday how it all worked out. look for rthem on your favorite search.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you please pm me the instructions too.

Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast