autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA Polisher - New

I just picked up on today. $65 for polisher and 3 pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but if the backing plate fits a PC, it will fit the HF DA.

This is what I use on my HF DA
    lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate
    That's awesome! The local Painter's supply sold me four Dynabrade backing plates at $7.50 a piece. This might be something nice to keep with the detailing kit at my better half's place!

Post Thanks / Like

Reading all this has sold me. I will be buying this. Will that cupon in the middle of this thread work still? It is online for 60 bucks. There are 3 stores I can go to, so I guess calling them to see if in stock is a good idea? Or do I just need to google HF great deal cupon or something? I was wondering about the HF pads, I had planed on a 5 in flex pad from CG's and the Hex pad sample kit Or maybe a LC 6 pack. not sure what chemical system to go with. its a bit overwhelming for a noob. Right now Im on the fence over Poor Boys, Megs, 3M, or Mothers.
    This is a heck of a start up since ill basically be a weekend warrior. guess Ill get a rotary too. I plan on doing some painting and since ill be wet sanding, will need it. Or will I? wont a yellow pad and some aggressive compound get rid of wet sand marks if they are around a 2500 or 3000 grit wet sand? ok you can tell im just getting this since all my questions run together. thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    Reading all this has sold me. I will be buying this. Will that cupon in the middle of this thread work still? It is online for 60 bucks. There are 3 stores I can go to, so I guess calling them to see if in stock is a good idea? Or do I just need to google HF great deal cupon or something? I was wondering about the HF pads, I had planed on a 5 in flex pad from CG's and the Hex pad sample kit Or maybe a LC 6 pack. not sure what chemical system to go with. its a bit overwhelming for a noob. Right now Im on the fence over Poor Boys, Megs, 3M, or Mothers.
    This is a heck of a start up since ill basically be a weekend warrior. guess Ill get a rotary too. I plan on doing some painting and since ill be wet sanding, will need it. Or will I? wont a yellow pad and some aggressive compound get rid of wet sand marks if they are around a 2500 or 3000 grit wet sand? ok you can tell im just getting this since all my questions run together. thanks in advance.
    The LC pads are a better deal, but I slightly prefer the hex pads - just slightly. Starting out, it's hard to beat Megs Ultimate Compound / Ultimate Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The LC pads are a better deal, but I slightly prefer the hex pads - just slightly. Starting out, it's hard to beat Megs Ultimate Compound / Ultimate Polish.
    I second that - Meg's Ultimate compound is the only one I've used, but worked great, and was pretty dang easy to use my very first time.

Just picked up Ultimate polish to finish up a few spots that my technique left a little hazy from the UC/yellow LC combo I used.

Post Thanks / Like

The guys at CG's are very helpful and should be able to get you in the proper direction on what you need as far as pad/lotion combo. As far as the rotary, if you haven't used one before please use it with caution and practice with your DA first. Bad things can happen especially if you don't have anyone to fix it afterwards. A DA can get out 2500-3000 sand scratches if done properly with the right patience. +1 with the Meg's Ultimate polish and compound too! Some of the best stuff on the market for the consumer to get their hands on. I use a lot of Meg's stuff in my business. Make sure you get a different backing plate other than the one that come with the machine.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten. Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

The backing plate that comes with the machine is horrible. Replace it soon as possible. The only downside to the DA is the noise level, works great for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    Right now Im on the fence over Poor Boys, Megs, 3M, or Mothers.
    For anyone that is just starting, I think you should start with polishes with SMAT as in my opinion, they are easy to work with. I don't know about the others but Meg's UC is SMAT
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddear30 View Post
    I just picked up on today. $65 for polisher and 3 pads
    David, A word of advice. If you haven't opened the pads yet return them now and get your money back. I made the same mistake when I picked up my HF DA and the pads started to fall about before I finished my car for the first time. The backing plate is too big for the pads and eats the foam and since the BP is crap and you'll be getting rid of it anyway the pads are just a waste of money. Save yourself the trouble and frustration of thinking you're doing something wrong and just wait until you get a new BP and pads to use the DA.

That said, I agree with everyone else here. When properly equipped the Harbor Freight DA is a very capable machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be getting one just for applying wax on my toyhauler and scrubbing carpet. The Rupes is too big to hold with one arm
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast