autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA Polisher - New

Viper, you've opened up one heckuva big can o' worms, my friend. Harbor Freight stuff is like the Dallas Cowboys. You either love 'em or you hate 'em, there's no in-between. I've never shopped at HF, but am in need of some tools, so I think I'll check them out.

When you're on a VERY tight budget, you keep all of your options open.

It never fails. Whenever anything hits the windshield, it's always on the driver's side....and at eye level!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbowma View Post
    I bought the HF DA and the pads on sale ($48 for the polisher and $3.99 a piece for the pads). It performed like a champ with the same results I have achieved with PC, Griots , and Shurhold. Only negative from this one vehicle sample size is that on speed 6 the polisher vibrates pretty bad, and probably has more torque than needed which could be a problem for most.
    Could be the backing plate that comes on the unit causing the vibration. I noticed it is not of the best quality and has a noticable wobble when spun manually--others have noticed this also.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to head out today to get one. Hopefully they have the pads available too.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is now on sale for $49.99, and with the 20% off coupon it is $39.99. I bought one and now I have to figure out what pads I should get. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by so2315 View Post
    This is now on sale for $49.99, and with the 20% off coupon it is $39.99. I bought one and now I have to figure out what pads I should get. Any ideas?
    I have been using the Lake Country 5.5" low profile pads on my Harbor Freight DA. They work great.....even with a forceful amount of pressure being applied. You'll need to get a backing plate, too, since the one the Harbor Freight unit comes with is too big for 5.5" pads. I also bought some 4" pads and a 3.5" inch backing plate for the areas I can't get at with the 5.5" pads.

I've read that the Hydrotech pads are even more effective but I haven't tried those yet. Lastly, You might consider some microfiber pads if you are going to be doing some moderate to heavy paint correction.

Enjoy your new DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, bringing this thread back.

My friend, who does detailing as side business, was detailing a ZR1 last night and his PC74724 died on him. He needed to finish the job, so he finally went out and got the HF DA for $48 with a coupon.

His review:

Power is about on par with PC but still below GG. Handle is similar is shape to Rupes, but finish and weight is definitely below par.

This is just a temporary fix and he maybe getting Rupes, but this will be his 'back-up' in the meantime.

Here is a Corvette ZR1 that he is correcting, and he said he feels totally comfortable using it. He has been detailing cars for many years now, so he is not a beginner.

Just thought I would share........

Here is an after shot, and another with a little bit of the 50/50 in the corner of the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

This DA is decent enough, although it was apparently relabeled and sold under another company name (not mentioning the name) for about $150 with a case, couple pads and towels, and their AIO product. So many complaints about it, all of a sudden they "sold out" and didn't know when they would get more in. Shortly after, a comparison was done with it and the HF DA, and they looked identical in every way except color, which is 1/3 the price. IMO, for the price from HF, it's good enough for a spare, and if it breaks, oh well. I was given one of the companies kits to test and it was loud to me and seemed cheap compared to the GG offering, so it's collecting dust since then. Stick with GG and PC for better quality.

Also, I tested out the HF pads, and they aren't bad at all, but they are throw aways, they don't last that long, but on sale they are $2.99 and worth it if you are in a bind.

Post Thanks / Like

You can put just about any tool in a pros hand and they will get good results. But a pro doesn't want to be going out and buying a new tool all the time, so they buy pro tools to begin with. Just my $.02
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this last week and tested it out so far so good. I bought the 2 year warranty for $9 so i have 2 years to burn it up and keep returning. for $48 you cant go wrong

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwellsii View Post
    You can put just about any tool in a pros hand and they will get good results. But a pro doesn't want to be going out and buying a new tool all the time, so they buy pro tools to begin with. Just my $.02
    Much like you can hand any guitar to a great guitarist and he will sound great, but if you give a newbie a cheap guitar to learn, he'll be giving up within a week.

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast