autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: need help picking a DA polisher

I just read that you decided to go for the GG....but in the event that you didnt' purchase it yet, here's the link to the flex:

FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher Kit with Free FLEX Polisher Bag, FLEX Dual Action Polisher and storage bag, FLEX bag kit

Don't hesitate to go with the GG though, it's a great machine and is very easy to learn how to use, especially with help from Mike and all the other helpful people at autogeek!

Post Thanks / Like

I like my GG6 and it's been a year since I bought it. So far, it is still working. I actually made a huge gamble considering that I live in South East Asia and it will be expensive to avail of the warranty. I was aware of the issue of quality but I still chose it. I still dunno why. If you are a professional detailer who will use the DA every day for more than five hours and doesn't have any back-up polisher, there is the risk of it malfunctioning in the middle of detail. It will be bad for business. But if you are just a hobbyist like me who will use it once in every two months (at most), the chances of you availing the warranty is small. I think it will last for a while. If it bogs down in the middle of your detailing session, you can just stop and reschedule, and put some protection on the paint while waiting for the replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsinthedetails View Post
    I had problems with 2 consecutive PC's last year, however, it may have been because I wasn't using the washer. In any case, I didn't like the way the PC felt, or the noise it made when polishing...it felt underpowerd and cheap to me. However, I respect BobbyG's opinion, and he's helped me out a great deal before on AG. Actually, he was probably the first person who really stepped up his game and helped me make some great product decisions back when I was an AG noob last year (so thanks again BobbyG - your help was remembered and much appreciated!) my uncle uses a PC 7424 with collinite products for his powerboat. I'm getting a bit off track- my point is, I know people who use the PC and love it, I'm just not one of them. On the other hand, I have a GG 6" and love it. I like the bucket handle better (easier, in my opinion to keep the polisher balanced than using the PC's handle). The GG also seems better built and more powerful to me. Don't forget the lifetime warranty you get with it also. I'd definitely buy the GG over the PC. HOWEVER...if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the flex, even though it's a bit more money up front. Autogeek has them on sale now for nearly $100 (usually 445 but going for 350 now)
    yeah! i really like the handle on the GG 6" and the lifetime warranty as a backup!
    i would get the flex but it's forced rotary and i'm a beginner so i have no idea if i apply too much pressure there is the possibility of me burning through my paint.. right? and i think i'll step up to the flex as soon as i become pro here! hahahaha!

Post Thanks / Like

I just read that you decided to go for the GG....but in the event that you didnt' purchase it yet, here's the link to the flex:

FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher Kit with Free FLEX Polisher Bag, FLEX Dual Action Polisher and storage bag, FLEX bag kit

Don't hesitate to go with the GG though, it's a great machine and is very easy to learn how to use, especially with help from Mike and all the other helpful people at autogeek!
    i decided to go with it! but i haven't made the purchase yet! i will be hopefully ordering before the sale ends tomorrow! i will consider the flex but its a lot of $ right now.

Quote Originally Posted by brawl View Post
    I like my GG6 and it's been a year since I bought it. So far, it is still working. I actually made a huge gamble considering that I live in South East Asia and it will be expensive to avail of the warranty. I was aware of the issue of quality but I still chose it. I still dunno why. If you are a professional detailer who will use the DA every day for more than five hours and doesn't have any back-up polisher, there is the risk of it malfunctioning in the middle of detail. It will be bad for business. But if you are just a hobbyist like me who will use it once in every two months (at most), the chances of you availing the warranty is small. I think it will last for a while. If it bogs down in the middle of your detailing session, you can just stop and reschedule, and put some protection on the paint while waiting for the replacement.
    what do you mean issue of quality? can you tell me what you have heard or experienced?i am a hobbyist who will be using it on either 2-3 cars (not all on the same day though )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrx495 View Post

what do you mean issue of quality? can you tell me what you have heard or experienced?
    There were some people who claimed that they had their GG replaced several times. I haven't experienced any problem with my unit. It delivers every time I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx495 View Post

I am a hobbyist who will be using it on either 2-3 cars (not all on the same day though)
    You will be fine. I bet you will not even use it weekly. When you perfected your techniques/methods in washing and applying a QD (assuming you haven't yet), you will rarely do multi-step polishing (once a year at most). Believe me, with the time and effort it saves you, you'll wish you bought it sooner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brawl View Post
    There were some people who claimed that they had their GG replaced several times. I haven't experienced any problem with my unit. It delivers every time I use it.

You will be fine. I bet you will not even use it weekly. When you perfected your techniques/methods in washing and applying a QD (assuming you haven't yet), you will rarely do multi-step polishing (once a year at most). Believe me, with the time and effort it saves you, you'll wish you bought it sooner.
    probably could have been a bad batch out of the factory? all machines aren't perfect for ex. the pc xp not perfect but it's good along with the gg and the meg's also the flex! and
    i probably wont hahaha! just when there are swirls i will!

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please tell me though ... Out of those two machines... Which one is quieter? And has less vibrations to the hands ? Mike, since you used both machines can you tell me which one of those are quieter and less vibrations ?

Post Thanks / Like

i read that link you gave me and i checked it out! i'm not in a big rush to get a DA at all so i think I'm going to wait for my birthday to get some money (goal at least 150) and ill pay the other 150 for the flex!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Read this next...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

And then this,

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

IF you read the trouble shooting guide before you start using your Griot's polisher you won't need the trouble shooting guide.

hey mike! i changed my mind(sorry to ask) but is it possible if you can give me links for the flex, and a trouble shooting guide for the flex? I decided i'll just wait it out until i get more money. i'll do my best to maintain the cars at their peak condition right now until my birthday! (really close... october)

Post Thanks / Like

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    awesome! thank you for the video! once i get the flex OR the GG6" (if i can't get the flex)
    i'll update you all on my purcahse and post some pictures! ..
    this thread can keep going though for the people who are in the situation i am (or was) in!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast