autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for doing the legwork and sharing with us Doug. Interesting stuff. Tough to picture what Dewalt means by "more agressive".

Post Thanks / Like
    and/or the rotation can be in either direction.

This is the first I have seen any official comment on reverse spinning. No one on this or the Meguiar's Forum had heard of it. I contacted the manufacturer by E-Mail, and they played dumb.

I feel liberated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orngez
    the pc's original use was for furniture and wood finishing...i used to use them when I made tables and cabinets...FINISH sanding was its main duty as it could do 3000 oscillation to my 2-3 hundred...and it did a great job of buffing and burnishing waxes and stains on flat table tops...the car enthusiat crowd picked up on the pc and then started designing/creating/modifying wool and then eventually foam pads to be used with the pc...
    It does suck doing it by hand I wish i had my Pc when i made my table!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you use a PC to buff the wax and if so is it any better than by hand ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man looks like the story of the PC is a very interesting one. Thanks for posting this info, really nice of you to do all the re-search and share. To be honest, I don't miss the PC...I like the Cyclo and the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im lost ... first the 7424/7336 is a Porter Cable device. So why not contact them or Black/Decker which recently bought them. I am lost as to how Dewalt came into this, and does Dewalt even make a random orbital polisher and not just a sander ??

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Killr, I saw your comment, and was confused because I did contact Porter Cable. But I looked at the email I still have from them, and it was a Dewalt address. I looked it up, and Black & Decker owns both Dewalt and Porter Cable. Why the Dewalt address I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Grimm; 06-02-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A rotary is nothing more then a varible speed sander or grinder. What makes it a polisher is putting a polishing pad on it instead or a grinding disk or a backing plate with sandpaper. Sanding a piece of wood to get the scraches (cut marks out of it) is really not mush different then polishing the paint on your car. It does not matter what something was initially designed for or called. Lots of tools have many uses. Both a PC and a rotary can be used as a polisher. They can also both be used to sand a piece of wood and many other uses. Both also have advantages and disadvantages as a polisher over the other. Use what works best for you in the situation you have at hand and your level of skill.
    Last edited by Gary Sword; 06-02-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Translate please

So it rotates in either direction, wobbles, etc. But what is its most efficient motion for a specific purpose? When I first started messing with my new PC 7424 it seemed like it wasn't hardly moving at all. Been using it for a year now. In my Neanderthal mindset, I decided that it would polish and buff most efficiently in its "mostly rotary" state. So I marked some radial lines on the backing plate and use the direction and speed of the rotation as a guide to the contact plane. In other words, I want the black lines to rotate counterclockwise at the rpm I have chosen.
    Is this correct (for polishing, paint cleaning, and buffing)? Is that the most efficient motion for a random orbital or does it perform those tasks just as well when it meets some resistance and slows down or goes counter-clockwise?

Somewhat unrelated: The 7424 is dubbed a "polisher." It looks just the 7336 "sander." Is there any reason why one could not use it as a sander (for woodworking)?
    --
    DMG
    2003 BMW 330i

Post Thanks / Like
    DeWalts "version" is a DW443. Runs a little faster than PC. Cannot change backing plate.
    Ric
    HOGtailing is my business

Detailing at the Dog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast