autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Burned through my MF pad?

So I was detailing my Mom's Jaguar XF with my 7424XP, 5" MF cutting pad, and Meg D300. I take a lunch break half way into the job. I come back and begin again, when all of a sudden the pad flies off and this is the result. No, it's not a red velvet cake. It's my pad! Did I do something wrong? Should I have removed the pad before going to lunch? I also noticed some separation occuring in my backing plate. Is this common? I've only used the thing maybe half a dozen times. Thanks for the input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burned through my MF pad?-photopad1-jpg   Burned through my MF pad?-photopad2-jpg   Burned through my MF pad?-photopad3-jpg   Burned through my MF pad?-photopad4-jpg   Burned through my MF pad?-photopad5-jpg  

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Burned through my MF pad?

I think u used too much pressure on the head of the polisher....

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like excess heat from too high of speed and/or excess pressure. Call Meguiar's and they'll replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I went through that when I started using the mc pads.you have change them out more often.I use at least 5 pads on an average size car.to much pressure can overheat the pad...
    Cianfrocca's Auto Detailing LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneckmafia View Post
    I went through that when I started using the mc pads.you have change them out more often.I use at least 5 pads on an average size car.to much pressure can overheat the pad...
    I don't think you need to use that many pads. I've been using 1-2 pads to do full cars since Dec '10 and I've never had a pad blow out on me like that. I'm using speed 4 on the GG6 with heavy pressure. I clean the pad after each section with compressed air, which I feel helps keep the temps down too.

Monitor the pad temps and if you feel it's getting hot then switch to a new pad. Excess product usage is also a contributing factor to pad failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like too much pressure,product and lack of cleaning through-out the process.

Heres a little tip,I use 2 mf pads and alternate between them,example: start with 1 pad do one section,blow out pad with compressed air, switch pads and repeat( this allows pad #1 to cool while using #2 and repeat through-out correction procces.

If your using a da polisher applying the compound or polish to outer most rim of the pads helps a lot.

let the machine do the work not your arms......sometimes you have to apply a little more pressure, but with the MF pads 9 out 10 times the weight of the machine is enough to do what your trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to me, Megs replaced the pads and backing plate once I sent them the pictures of the damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I don't think you need to use that many pads. I've been using 1-2 pads to do full cars since Dec '10 and I've never had a pad blow out on me like that. I'm using speed 4 on the GG6 with heavy pressure. I clean the pad after each section with compressed air, which I feel helps keep the temps down too.

Monitor the pad temps and if you feel it's getting hot then switch to a new pad. Excess product usage is also a contributing factor to pad failure.
    Chad is spot on as always!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.