autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To Wave or Not to Wave...

Okay, what's the deal with Edge Wave pads vs. not wave? Which is better? I have LC pads now and I'd like to give Edge pads a whirl (pun intended) but I don't know if I should get Wave or not. Does one do better on curves? My car has a lot of curves and it is somethimes hard to get in the curves.

Let the debate begin!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf
    Okay, what's the deal with Edge Wave pads vs. not wave? Which is better? I have LC pads now and I'd like to give Edge pads a whirl (pun intended) but I don't know if I should get Wave or not. Does one do better on curves? My car has a lot of curves and it is somethimes hard to get in the curves.

Let the debate begin!
    Wave pads give you a little more "bite" and a little longer working time (venting).
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the normal Edge 6" DA pads. I like them a lot, but I'm not 100% fond of the Orange finishing pad. I don't care for the foam too much, it seems very dense and it's very easy to make lop sided. With this said, I put in an order for the 6" Wave Orange pad. I'm hoping this design will keep it flatter and easier to work with. I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in love with the standard 6" pads. I can't see how a "wavy" pad has additional "bite". I thought since more of the pad was touching the paint a flat pad had more "bite" than one with "waves".

That's what I thought anyways and went with that reasioning. There's no going back now.
    EDGE pads IMO are the best pads out there. I've used velcro pads before, and they don't even compare.

-Nick
    20 year olds rule!

"For each step-back, there is an equally or greater come-back..."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...must-read.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-bluuuur.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have a rotary I think that the wave pads are a must, so I've ordered them. I'm pleased with the regular 6" flat pads and from looking at the design and from what I've read the wave pads are better at distributing the heat generated from the rotary/PC and vehicles paint.

So when I get the waved pads and I give it a try on the rotary I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the "wave" design allows heat to escape; so why would you want this on a rotary? You WANT the heat from the rotary to break down the compounds. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads with a rotary as well.
    20 year olds rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nick19
    I thought the "wave" design allows heat to escape; so why would you want this on a rotary? You WANT the heat from the rotary to break down the compounds. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads with a rotary as well.
    you want the heat from the rotary...just not too much...from what they are saying the wave pattern helps keep the heat even and not all focused in one spot...placing my 6 in wave pad order soon so i can have pads for both my rotary and pc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orngez
    you want the heat from the rotary...just not too much...from what they are saying the wave pattern helps keep the heat even and not all focused in one spot...placing my 6 in wave pad order soon so i can have pads for both my rotary and pc...
    I guess.. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads.
    20 year olds rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nick19
    I guess.. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads.

I have both......LC 6.5 pads for my P.C. And the Edge 2k wave 8" pads for my rotary....

i love them both......L.C 6.5 pads for both machines and the Edge Wave 2K 8' for only the rotary....

The heat from the wave still works the polish fast. the 8" wave is recommended by ARRON from EDGE because 8" the spins faster than the 6' regular pad.. thus more breakdown area and not as hot with the wave

i love them both for what there used for........ .......

Post Thanks / Like
    Waves do not provide more bite than their fellow counterparts. The wave design is meant to go more towards rotary on which heat builds up very quickly. The PC does nowhere the heat disperssion of a rotary, therefore the wave design is not needed.

FOr the PC my final verdict is which STYLE do you like? If you are going to use a rotary as well or learn on one, the ave pads would be a good investment.

-Ryan
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast