autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd Griots Polisher Failure!?

While polishing my car yesterday my second griots polisher quit on me. It wasn't hot. I wasn't using too much pressure. All proper technique and even taking breaks in between sections to let the machine rest as well as myself. I was in the middle of doing a small section with a 4" pad when it just slowly shut off. I turned it off immediately and inspected the machine making sure it wasn't too hot or anything. I tried turning it back on and it just sparked inside then nothing. I was goon to try and replace the brushes thinking that might help but I can't even get the back housing off to do so; the screw stripped first try.

I had already replaced my first machine for the same exact reason. Am I doing something wrong here? Do I have the crappy firs gen somehow? As of right now, I am going to return it and think over if I want to step up to the flex. I am just so bummed I can't finish polishing my car...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2nd Griots Polisher Failure!?

Maybe your just that guy we all know who seems to not get along with electrical devices? Any other issues in your other electrical in the house/garage?

I have not seen or heard much on this issue and only have the PC so far with no issues. But many really like the Griots and have not had any issues. But stepping up to the flex would really be a nice upgrade if you can swing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I never really understood the argument, but for ha-ha's, are you using an extension cord? If so, what gauge/how long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I never really understood the argument, but for ha-ha's, are you using an extension cord? If so, what gauge/how long?
    I've read this on several occasions. I wonder if it truly does make a difference on what gauge the extension cord is to run a polisher. Maybe Mike or someone will chime in on this.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I've read this on several occasions. I wonder if it truly does make a difference on what gauge the extension cord is to run a polisher. Maybe Mike or someone will chime in on this.
    Well, the issue is voltage drop...but I don't see how this overheats or otherwise damages the polisher, unless lower voltage=lower OPM's=less air flow if there's a little fan on the rotating parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me show you my shocked face...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jons6.7 View Post
    Maybe your just that guy we all know who seems to not get along with electrical devices? Any other issues in your other electrical in the house/garage?

I have not seen or heard much on this issue and only have the PC so far with no issues. But many really like the Griots and have not had any issues. But stepping up to the flex would really be a nice upgrade if you can swing it.
    The first ROP was used at a different house than the one that quit today. So I would think that electrical issues related to the houses could be ruled out. I really wanted this one to work since I originally thought this ROP was well built. It's a shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I did not use an extension cord the for the first machine that quit. This time I was using a 16 gauge cord about 15 ft. long. I should have been using 12 gauge or better I guess but I still don't understand how that could have caused issue with my polisher, and what about the first time when I didn't use an extension cord?

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I never thought about the extension cord being an issue but I guess it could be a weak link. I don't think, however, that it caused any of the issues I have seen with my two machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Let me show you my shocked face...
    I know, many people will be saying this but I figured for someone that would only be working on my own car every once in a while, that a machine like this would be ideal. I have heard some stories of them having issues but that's only on forums and usually they always highlight the problem situations since more people will speak up about a defective product more so than they would a product working as it should, you know?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been regularly using my Griot's RO since it was released and use it with an extension cord and have never had a problem of any kind with it.

I guess like any manmade item they can have a run of bad ones or simply bad luck on the part of the user.

I can only give high marks to the GG machine...powerful and gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepnxj3 View Post
    I did not use an extension cord the for the first machine that quit. This time I was using a 16 gauge cord about 15 ft. long. I should have been using 12 gauge or better I guess but I still don't understand how that could have caused issue with my polisher, and what about the first time when I didn't use an extension cord?

I never thought about the extension cord being an issue but I guess it could be a weak link. I don't think, however, that it caused any of the issues I have seen with my two machines.
    I'm not an electrician but I've been using power tools of all kind for over 40 years and I'll bet the power cord on the machine itself is 16 gauge. Using an additional 15 foot 16 gauge cord will have no impact on this machine.

You should not have to use a 12 or greater gauge cord in order to operate this machine..

The manual that came with the machine "should" have come with extension cord gauge and length recommendations so you might want to try there..

Like I've said, it's a good thing they come with a lifetime warranty....

From the Griot's Web Site

"The results will astound you! Choose from a 10' (18 AWG) or Extra-Long 25' (16 AWG) power cord option that makes working around the entire vehicle a breeze!"

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I'm not an electrician but I've been using power tools of all kind for over 40 years and I'll bet the power cord on the machine itself is 16 gauge. Using an additional 15 foot 16 gauge cord will have no impact on this machine.

You should not have to use a 12 or greater gauge cord in order to operate this machine..

The manual that came with the machine "should" have come with extension cord gauge and length recommendations so you might want to try there..

Like I've said, it's a good thing they come with a lifetime warranty....

From the Griot's Web Site

"The results will astound you! Choose from a 10' (18 AWG) or Extra-Long 25' (16 AWG) power cord option that makes working around the entire vehicle a breeze!"

Thanks Bobby! I didn't think of the cord being a possible issue until someone mentioned it. Looks like it shouldn't have been based on the gauge of the polisher itself.

I spoke with Autogeek today and told them that I didn't want another griots machine and I preferred a store credit. They obliged and it looks like I will be picking up the flex 3401 to replace it. I really wanted the griots to work and felt I gave it an honest chance. On to better things I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast