autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy my first DA Polisher

Ok, I am in the market for a DA Polisher. I have been a loyal user of Meguiar's consumer product user for years. My current stash includes, several gallons of Gold Class Car Wash (was on sale), ColorX, Swirl X, Ultimate Compound, Plast X, Natural Shine interior clean/dress, Quick Detailer, NXT 2.0 wax, lots of microfiber cloths, an absorber, 2 buckets (double bucket wash method) and a lambs wool wash mit. Now that you know what I have currently, I will explain what condition my car is in and what I want to do to it.

First my car is a 2009 Honda Fit Sport, Blackberry Pearl is the color which is a deep purple with a metallic look. I was in a collision at the end of Feb, and I just got my car back last week. There are some minor things the shop has to redo/refinish but nothing major. However I can tell the painter/detailer is not using a DA Polisher because of the MASSIVE amounts of swirls and etc. Not only that but I have watched him only use a sander/buffer on other cars. There is currently besides the swirls a few area's I think I will need to 2000 wet sand lightly as well as area's he did just that but did not get the chance to buff out yet. At this point, since my car was gone so long Feb 23-Mar 22, I do not want more delays when I take it back to get the small stuff fixed. So I have decided to just do it myself, as many of you on here are I am a car person. And I have some years under my belt as a detailer, however that was long ago and lots has changed since then.

With that, I am looking for a DA Polisher. I have watched videos on here, read reviews and I think I am down to the Meguiar's and the Griot's. Both seem to be easy enough to learn to use, however the warranty on the Griot's is a bit enticing to me. I know I will need a medium cutting foam pad, polishing pad, finishing/finesse pad. In general I think that is all I will need to start with. I don't think I will need to do any wool pad buffing. So what I am looking for is input on this very long winded topic. Not only on the DA Polisher but also if after looking at my listed of current products, a recommendation of what products I could compliment the DA polisher with to get the best results.

My budget for the polisher/pads and any product to get going is around $250ish, could go a little higher if needed.

Thanks for any and all input, and once I get going I will be sure to post up some pics as this paint on my car is pretty fantastic to look at when it looks it's best!

Here is what my car looks like, and yes this isn't the greatest photo I had just washed it after getting it back.
    Last edited by ALL4SPL; 03-24-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy my first DA Polisher

This is a good deal IMO, I have both of these. The 6 inch has more power and will not bog down compared to the PC..The 3 inch polisher is great for small area.

Griot's Garage Polisher Club Kit, griots orbital polisher, dual action polishers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy my first DA Polisher

I have the Griot's because of the warranty. Works well. Bought the 5" Meg's backing plate to use with their MF pads, 6" BP seemed like it could get unwieldy for a newbie like me. Later bought some Uber foam pads, polishing & finishing. $250 should be more than enough for your needs, probably will get by with $200 spent.